• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I haven't sold a car before, I'm about to sell my 2018, looking for advice.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I'm considering putting an add in Auto trader and I was using ChatGPT to write up a quick description, Should I add anything? Are there better places to list it?

EaxsyTh.png
Color, model (GT, EcoBoost, Fastback, Convertible, other), What kind of options? Premium pack, performance pack, what kind of radio, cloth, leather, ricaro, standard....
Are the tires new, or old? If you just replaced them recently (last year or so), then you might want to mention them. Especially if they have most of their tread life left.
Mileage
can you get a printout of all work done on the car from Ford? It helps to have a complete history available.
How many years/miles left on the extended service warranty?
Has it been in any accidents, has the paint been redone on any body panels, etc? Have you had paint correction done on it (leave it off if not, say it if you have). Consider having the car details prior to selling it. 600 bucks of buffing and cleaning might get you another 1,000 bucks when you sell it netting you 400. Especially those scratches. If they are severe scratches, you may want to have them repainted, but that may not be worth the money.
Do you still have the window sticker? If you do, that can really help in identifying the various options.

Hope this helps
Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
Lots of great suggestions!

keep on mode, depending on the state you are in, if you trade in a car, you pay the sales tax on the difference after trade. Make sure you factor that in.

example, $70,000 new car, trade $30,000 pay sales tax on $40,000. So if you sell the car yourself, and your sales tax rate is 6%, you have to sell the car for $1,800 more to break even.

Steadyvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang ecoboost
I'm considering putting an add in Auto trader and I was using ChatGPT to write up a quick description, Should I add anything? Are there better places to list it?

EaxsyTh.png
Carmax is the way to go. I've sold 3 cars to them so far, including a 2019 Mustang ecoboost. They always give me a reasonable value.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Lots of great suggestions!

keep on mode, depending on the state you are in, if you trade in a car, you pay the sales tax on the difference after trade. Make sure you factor that in.

example, $70,000 new car, trade $30,000 pay sales tax on $40,000. So if you sell the car yourself, and your sales tax rate is 6%, you have to sell the car for $1,800 more to break even.
Can't speak for VT (or WI), but in MI, the credit for sale tax is capped at $600 (up to $10,000 on the trade in value x 6% sales tax rate) for 2024. The trade in value cap will go up until it reaches $14,000 in 2029, which means a max of $840 then.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
Can't speak for VT (or WI), but in MI, this is capped at $600 (up to $10,000 on the trade in value) for 2024. The trade in value cap will go up until it reaches $14,000 in 2029, which means a max of $840 then.
Wisconsin does not have a cap line Michigan. I live in Wisconsin and also lived in Michigan and that is what prompted my comment. Thanks

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Wisconsin does not have a cap line Michigan. I live in Wisconsin and also lived in Michigan and that is what prompted my comment. Thanks
Michigan (government) sucks ass.

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Sold my car to Carvana. Got my quote, set up a drive-in appointment and got a check withing 15 minutes. Easiest car transaction of my life, and their quote was the highest.

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
I have a friend with a Manheim auto auction account. By inputting in my vin it will give me a wholesale value (not a guarantee of what the car will bring going across the auction block but usually very close) and an estimate of the retail value. This way when I go to the dealer I already know what he's going to offer and prepare accordingly or if I plan on selling it myself I can use their retail estimate as a starting point for my ask. This has also saved me from overpaying numerous times when purchasing used.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
I have a friend with a Manheim auto auction account. By inputting in my vin it will give me a wholesale value (not a guarantee of what the car will bring going across the auction block but usually very close) and an estimate of the retail value. This way when I go to the dealer I already know what he's going to offer and prepare accordingly or if I plan on selling it myself I can use their retail estimate as a starting point for my ask. This has also saved me from overpaying numerous times when purchasing used.
I can't find it ATM but over on m6g there is a website link that does the same thing. It's time-delayed so might be a few days old but not enough to move the needle.

OP
OP
DukeCLR

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
you're trying too hard. You won't get top dollar. Mustang used market is dead when new ones are 12% off MSRP and have HIGHLY favorable financing. You should have jettisoned the car when you got the 2024.

Just take it to Carmax and take your lumps, or try autolendersgo.com. Stupid name but they are concentrated in NJ/NY/New England where prices are still elevated for some silly reason.

Thanks for the ALGO link, they offered 31.5 hopefully the process will go through smoothly.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Thanks for the ALGO link, they offered 31.5 hopefully the process will go through smoothly.
Back in 2020 when I was letting my NF4 Ecoboost go (Stupid, stupid!!!) I haggled them up 1500 from their initial offer. It's worth a try.

John G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I have had good luck with my local Ford Dealership. When I wanted to downsize from 3 vehicles to 2, I did my research primarily thru Kelly Blue Book, and determined what would be a fair price in selling my Ford Fusion Titanium to the dealership. I was able to get a reasonable offer, so I let it go.

When I purchased my 2024 Mustang, again I did my research and determined what I considered to be a fair trade in price, and I was pleased with what the dealership offered me on my 2019 Mustang.

However, my Fords have always been serviced by my local dealership. They have access to all of my service records, they know my vehicles, which is why I believe, they have been fair with me. Even when it comes to purchasing tires, I have compared their prices with other tire sales sources, and I have always found my local Ford dealer to be competitive.

I try to do my research, to be informed as much as possible, look at all options, and go with what I believe to be the best deal.

Pmamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
In addition to getting some cash offers, if you don’t like the price and feel you can get more try to consignment it. Usually places will charge 10% fee. Best of all, you don’t have to worry about scum bags stealing it, test drives and they usually provide financing.

OP
OP
DukeCLR

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
Thanks for all the advice, ALGO just picked he up.

S650 Mustang I haven't sold a car before, I'm about to sell my 2018, looking for advice. cftTpoM

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I guess I'm naive. I don't understand what you guys mean by 'scammer'.
Are you talking about lowballers?
What kind of scam could be run on someone selling a used car?
Sponsored