• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I haven't sold a car before, I'm about to sell my 2018, looking for advice.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I'm considering putting an add in Auto trader and I was using ChatGPT to write up a quick description, Should I add anything? Are there better places to list it?

S650 Mustang I haven't sold a car before, I'm about to sell my 2018, looking for advice. EaxsyTh
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Sounds decent. Just watch out for scammers.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Was there only one type of 2018 mustang? Color, interior, manufacturer reported performance stats (make call out re man. stats).

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I have my BMW listed there now. It is really bad with scammers, but they are usually pretty obvious.
1) if it's obvious they didn't read your ad...scammer.
2) the common one lately is they ask you to provide them with a vehicle history report and point you to a specific one that you've never heard of...they are just generating sales of their overpriced reports.
I got 6 or 8 scammers right away and one legit buyer. Autotrader itself is semi-scammy by trying to steer a sale thru their escrow/administration service. You have to work around their attempts to block exchanging contact info through their message function but there are several ways to skirt that.

Good luck, it's not much better than the online leper colony known as Craigslist but I have sold a few cars using it. Other sites are better but more expensive.

I've sold as many as any other way by just parking them out by the road where I live but that only works in the right area.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Just take it to the dealer…. That’s what it’s worth.
No one sitting on cash earning 5% in money markets is gonna pay more than a dealer that can finance it to poor people.

jeffnudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Prem. Conv., 2022 Mav Hy XLT
I got a much higher price from CarMax for my 2018 EcoBoost Convertible with 99,000 miles than I was offered on trade from the dealer.

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
CarMax or Carvana are good alternatives that won't involve tire kickers and scammers. Also local Mustang clubs or cars and coffee are possible options.

OP
OP
DukeCLR

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the replies, The dealer was only going to give me 25K for it in December, he said he didn't want it on his lot all winter, I think I can do better. I will check out car max, I hate scammers.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just take it to the dealer…. That’s what it’s worth.
Disagree. Avoid trade in at all costs. They simply look up and see how much they are going for at auction right now, then offer you less. Private party sale will ALWAYS net you more for your car (if that is of importance to you).

OP
OP
DukeCLR

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is tempting, anyone ever use Carvana?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get REAL offers from all the various services (e..g, Carvana, CarMax, KBB, etc.), then take the best one to your dealer and see if they will meet or beat. I did that a couple of times.

jeffnudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Prem. Conv., 2022 Mav Hy XLT
Get REAL offers from all the various services (e..g, Carvana, CarMax, KBB, etc.), then take the best one to your dealer and see if they will meet or beat. I did that a couple of times.
Here's my take. If I am buying a car from a dealer, I expect him to make an honest offer for my trade. If I take it somewhere else (CarMax was my latest) and get a better offer, the dealer does not gat a second bite at the apple. I knew that CarMax is going to sell it to someone for more than they gave me which is fine - I am also a capitalist.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's my take. If I am buying a car from a dealer, I expect him to make an honest offer for my trade. If I take it somewhere else (CarMax was my latest) and get a better offer, the dealer does not gat a second bite at the apple. I knew that CarMax is going to sell it to someone for more than they gave me which is fine - I am also a capitalist.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, as that is typically my personal SOP when it comes to anything ("Why didn't you give me a better price to begin with?!"). But ... just giving the guy other options. :) On one occasion, I actually had my dealer give me MORE than KBB offer after seeing the (real) offer from them, so ...

OP
OP
DukeCLR

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be going back to my dealer with this car, I have bought 13 cars from over the years, I just told them to finance the the new one and I put a down payment, I really don't want to sell it but I need the space in my garage. I took her for a spin yesterday jut to get the temperatures up and I was nice using the the M6 for 20 minutes or so.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
I'm considering putting an add in Auto trader and I was using ChatGPT to write up a quick description, Should I add anything? Are there better places to list it?

EaxsyTh.png

I just sold my 2020 Mustang GT. I sold it through autotrader, I normally sell my cars through forums such as this one. I was shocked how many scammers contacted me. I did end up selling it through Autotrader but you do have to be wary. The only issue with the forums are the low ballers who want to buy the car for nothing.

I like that you are upfront with the dings and scratches and post up a lot of photos.
Sponsored