• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I got to drive a S650 for the first time recently.. I'm underwhelmed

Mr.Kodak_007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2024 GT 5.0
I'm the opposite. I'm actually quite happy with my 24gt. I've never owned a 5.0 before and have always wanted one for daily use. I've done some simple things like install an AWE exhaust, and some splitters and a diffuser, mess with the tint a little bit. It feels very comfortable to me; feels like my challenger I once owned. I currently also own a 20gt500 and it mostly sits in the garage now. Owned it for 3 years. I just really don't understand all the hate for the s650. It's been one of the better cars I've owned.

S650 Mustang I got to drive a S650 for the first time recently.. I'm underwhelmed 03 009 2024 4x6
Sponsored

JamesAnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
Much worse in the Uk/EU. Power for the GT is 440hp and for the Dark Horse only 446hp, with prices for the GT costing circa $75k + and for the Dark Horse $85k + (coverted from £).
We also can't get the handling pack.

Since 2015, ignoring the specials/Shelby's, I think the best value for money was the pre-facelift S550. They ruined the 2018 + cars with that front end - the design of the S650 is a marked imprvement.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Much worse in the Uk/EU. Power for the GT is 440hp and for the Dark Horse only 446hp, with prices for the GT costing circa $75k + and for the Dark Horse $85k + (coverted from £).
We also can't get the handling pack.

Since 2015, ignoring the specials/Shelby's, I think the best value for money was the pre-facelift S550. They ruined the 2018 + cars with that front end - the design of the S650 is a marked imprvement.
Why so many issues across the pond? Isnt higher performance more efficient?

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Good morning, all. I'm sure a handful of you remember me. If not, nice to meet you. I was the guy who obsessed over the digital gauge cluster, going as far as to make some crappy hypothetical gauge clusters in Photoshop. Now do you remember?

I've been awoken after a notification of a random comment on an old thread. Even if I hadn't been notified, I've actually been meaning to return to M7G to share my thoughts now that the car is out.

I'm underwhelmed by it.

Now look, I was VERY excited for the S650. I had a 2024 GT ordered on March 27th, the day the orders opened. In fact, I was the first one to the dealership, before the salesmen and before any other buyers. I ended up cancelling because of financial stability reasons. (didn't end up being an issue, but obviously I didn't know that at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess) Instead, I bought a used 2015 Mustang GT for $17,000. That's less than 1/3rd the price of the GT I had ordered (55k).

The real reason why I decided to post today was this: I got to drive a 2024 GT recently, and I'm genuinely underwhelmed. I expected it to be more exhilarating, more fun, more.. special. And it really wasn't. Lots and lots of people were saying that about it when the car was first unveiled, and yet I still expected it to be at least a little bit different. Seats feel softer and are overall a bit nicer imo, the screens look SHARP and a lot less intrusive in-person, the software is fun to play with, but otherwise the interior is damn near identical to the S550. It drives the same, it accelerates the same, it sounds the same, it's the same freaking car.

Now I get it, the S550 is really hard to make better. I love the looks of the S650, I think the rear has the S550 and S197 vastly beat, and the front looks better than the 2018+ S550. The car is still a blast to drive, it's still loud and gurgly, and still a perfectly capable daily. However, I'm left wondering why pay $50k when you can get an almost identical car for 1/2 the price? (or in my case, 1/3rd, nearly 1/4th) I know many answers include having the latest thing, the looks, the tech, and the warranty/reassurance of no one beating on the car before you. Is that really justification for an extra $20-30k?

I am not at all trying to get anyone to not buy the S650. It's your money and your choice. The Mustang is still a LOT of car for $50k, and a great deal for daily-capable muscle. I just wanted to throw my opinion out there and see what the general masses thinks.
OP I genuinely feel the same way, I was absolutely underwhelmed by the S650 yet was super excited for it when it came out. The value for the money just isn't there. I'm glad it is still around but I don't see much difference besides a worse interior design, stuck on tablet screens and missing pieces on the back end (deck lid panel). I'll hold out for a Shelby version but not holding my breath on that one.

Desmodeous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, 2006 F150
Its certainly hasn't inspired me to sell my '15 3.7L. with 90K miles. Hopefully the Gen 8 will have enough actual development to justify getting one.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
Good morning, all. I'm sure a handful of you remember me. If not, nice to meet you. I was the guy who obsessed over the digital gauge cluster, going as far as to make some crappy hypothetical gauge clusters in Photoshop. Now do you remember?

I've been awoken after a notification of a random comment on an old thread. Even if I hadn't been notified, I've actually been meaning to return to M7G to share my thoughts now that the car is out.

I'm underwhelmed by it.

Now look, I was VERY excited for the S650. I had a 2024 GT ordered on March 27th, the day the orders opened. In fact, I was the first one to the dealership, before the salesmen and before any other buyers. I ended up cancelling because of financial stability reasons. (didn't end up being an issue, but obviously I didn't know that at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess) Instead, I bought a used 2015 Mustang GT for $17,000. That's less than 1/3rd the price of the GT I had ordered (55k).

The real reason why I decided to post today was this: I got to drive a 2024 GT recently, and I'm genuinely underwhelmed. I expected it to be more exhilarating, more fun, more.. special. And it really wasn't. Lots and lots of people were saying that about it when the car was first unveiled, and yet I still expected it to be at least a little bit different. Seats feel softer and are overall a bit nicer imo, the screens look SHARP and a lot less intrusive in-person, the software is fun to play with, but otherwise the interior is damn near identical to the S550. It drives the same, it accelerates the same, it sounds the same, it's the same freaking car.

Now I get it, the S550 is really hard to make better. I love the looks of the S650, I think the rear has the S550 and S197 vastly beat, and the front looks better than the 2018+ S550. The car is still a blast to drive, it's still loud and gurgly, and still a perfectly capable daily. However, I'm left wondering why pay $50k when you can get an almost identical car for 1/2 the price? (or in my case, 1/3rd, nearly 1/4th) I know many answers include having the latest thing, the looks, the tech, and the warranty/reassurance of no one beating on the car before you. Is that really justification for an extra $20-30k?

I am not at all trying to get anyone to not buy the S650. It's your money and your choice. The Mustang is still a LOT of car for $50k, and a great deal for daily-capable muscle. I just wanted to throw my opinion out there and see what the general masses thinks.

Choice is a great thing considering people have different likes. I previously had a 2019 Mustang GT PP and sold it. When looking at the S650 I considered getting a Mach 1, but I just could not bring myself to buy it with that dash and interior. The interior was the part it disliked the most about my 2019. Some people hate the S650 tablet dash setup; I love it. Some hate the facelift the S550 received; I prefer it over the earlier versions. Many people think the front end of the BMW M3/M4 is awful; I love the look. Some think the Darkhorse is a waste of money; some think it's price is worth it over the GT.

Having so many options when it comes to selecting a vehicle is a good thing. Picking what I like and think is worth the money is very subjective. If it weren't, then there would only need to be one model vehicle, in one color, and one trim. I can appreciate your perspective of being underwhelmed by the S650 even though I have a different opinion. Since you were, then I'm glad you got exactly what you wanted and saved a bunch of money. It would have been crazy to spend 3 times as much on something you didn't like. I personally love my S650. Sounds like both of us made the right decision!

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
I'm the opposite. I'm actually quite happy with my 24gt. I've never owned a 5.0 before and have always wanted one for daily use. I've done some simple things like install an AWE exhaust, and some splitters and a diffuser, mess with the tint a little bit. It feels very comfortable to me; feels like my challenger I once owned. I currently also own a 20gt500 and it mostly sits in the garage now. Owned it for 3 years. I just really don't understand all the hate for the s650. It's been one of the better cars I've owned.

03 009 2024 4x6.jpg
Two things come to mind:

First, as a big S550 fan I’ve admittedly been a little slow to come around to the S650. But yours immediately strikes me as one of the best looking cars I’ve seen in a while. The black and white theme really makes it. If you get bored I’d love to see a closer shot of your wheel/tire setup, lug nuts and all.

Second, what an awesome choice in your garage. No way to go wrong.

Enjoy them!

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
Simply…if you prefer a used S550, buy one. If you prefer a new S650, buy one. If no one buys the new vehicles, then the beloved Mustang will go the way of the Camaro and Challenger.

C8 Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
2021C8 Z51, 2022 F150 Lariat, 2019 Porsche Macan
Well, I can understand being under whelmed by the new S650 GT. After having 5 corvettes, the last 2 being C8s, my test drive of the 2024 GT was very interesting. As I told my sales person, when I stepped on the accelerator, I got a lot of air noise, motor noise, and a very weak takeoff. Sure, not the same type of cars. My last C8 was running approx. 515hp and mated to a Tremec 8spd. and not a 3.15 rear end like most GTs. Also, running approx. 400-500lbs less weight. I decided to get the I4 Ecoboost with turbo. This decision was made due to a medical procedure, the vettes were out of the question because of the low entry/exit. Having the Ecoboost for 2 months, I was going crazy due to the lack of exhilaration, but the car handled pretty darn good. Took the car back to my dealer and ordered the Ecoboost Premium with the High Performance Package. Should be here at the end of April - first of May. Decided to make this a project car and put a few mods on it. At my age, (over 70), this should do me just fine. Just waiting for the aftermaket manufacturers to catch up.
S650 Mustang I got to drive a S650 for the first time recently.. I'm underwhelmed C8 Corvette

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Choice is a great thing considering people have different likes. I previously had a 2019 Mustang GT PP and sold it. When looking at the S650 I considered getting a Mach 1, but I just could not bring myself to buy it with that dash and interior. The interior was the part it disliked the most about my 2019. Some people hate the S650 tablet dash setup; I love it. Some hate the facelift the S550 received; I prefer it over the earlier versions. Many people think the front end of the BMW M3/M4 is awful; I love the look. Some think the Darkhorse is a waste of money; some think it's price is worth it over the GT.

Having so many options when it comes to selecting a vehicle is a good thing. Picking what I like and think is worth the money is very subjective. If it weren't, then there would only need to be one model vehicle, in one color, and one trim. I can appreciate your perspective of being underwhelmed by the S650 even though I have a different opinion. Since you were, then I'm glad you got exactly what you wanted and saved a bunch of money. It would have been crazy to spend 3 times as much on something you didn't like. I personally love my S650. Sounds like both of us made the right decision!
Excellent summation.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Having the Ecoboost for 2 months, I was going crazy due to the lack of exhilaration
you have to recalibrate your throttle ankle if you want to have fun with the Eco. Keep it over 2700RPM at all times. over 3200 is better.

Aufenscuht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0I
nvince you then the interior is also a huge update. The screens make it look much more modern, regardless of whether you li
I had a 2021 base GT and I must say that I do prefer the analog gauges. The one's in the s650 are good, but poorly executed from a aesthetic perspective. I would challenge the notion that $41000 out the door for a base 5.0 with an active exhaust is too expensive. Older models were poorly made. Just take a look at an 03-04. Where can we start? Now, the comparison of this car is in BMW leagues. Being a BMW owner and lover, I can say that is well worth the price and admiration for a brand that was being whooped on by ricer Civics not too long ago.

To the person above that mentioned the Challenger and Camaro; I am not so sure about the selling numbers. Of course this is biased, however the Memphis area has TONS of new SXT Challengers on the road. I had a premium SXT and must say it was a nice car. Cruiser, as sport car-it is not. Even the R/T is all noise....but does have low end power.

My only complaints would be poor execution of digital displays and lack of low-end torque. I do not like ringing my cars out when driving. Overall, depending on what you paid for the car, it is not a bad vehicle. at 45k+, I would have to say no. As for the used market, buying a used mustang with good maintenance records and that has not been beat to death is rare. It is a worthy proposition if found. Depending on where you are in the country, that may not be possible.

On all aspects, the vehicle to me is definitely a 8/10. Especially to how limited we are with powerplant and transmission options. Nothing beats a N/A, manual, V8.

:)
Sponsored