• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hmmm…wonder how this will play out?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Last edited:

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
If you Google Dark Horse there are hundreds of campanies and products by that name. I'm sure any trademark issues have long been resolved
Are any motor vehicles?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I don't think it matters what the product is. This topic is akin to securing a domain name. There's the one name or term which we know, and countless variations other people or companies use.

Ford applied for the term "Mustang Dark Horse", which is more specific than "Dark Horse". Note the placement and position of the wording. The application was submitted by Ford before anyone else. Being the 800-pound gorilla in the room, I'd like to think the application will be accepted. Further, I'm sure Ford's counsel is well-versed in trademarks and how to get them.

Indian (or any other company) could be more specific and apply. "Indian Motorcycle Dark Horse"; I'd expect it to be approved as well.

In extreme examples, things are settled in/out of court (Google the Citibank trademark dispute).

An interesting topic to study and read up on.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ford won’t have a case. “Dark horse” is and has been in the public vernacular for a very long time.

being that it’s a trim level of a sports car model versus the make or model vs a motorcycle name also distances confusion in anyone’s mind, especially since Ford doesn’t sell motorcycles.

ford would need to find a judge partial to bribes in order to win such a case. And even then, they’d lose in the appeal with a different judge.

there’s nothing there.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
There won't be any lawsuits or injunctions. There's no need. One is "Chief Bobber Dark Horse" and the other is "Mustang DH".

And if we're going to be technical, my money is on Katy Perry trademarking "DH" first.
I'd go for Dark Horse Comics having it before her.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
not to mention if there were a product like "Mustang Dark Horse" dyno machine, both parties are likely to get their respective grants. Because nobody is going to confuse 'car' with 'dynometer'. I'm sure Mustang Dynos would still get a baleful eye from Ford Legal and maybe a "how about you guys come up with a different name, here's a few million in encouragement".

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
I wonder they didn't bring back "Stallion Edition" from 1967 Mustang Stallion instead creating "Dark Horse"?
Because dark horse goes along with the dark theme. Stallion gives me light and chrome vibes. It is also something we did not see coming, the name, of course.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Because dark horse goes along with the dark theme. Stallion gives me light and chrome vibes. It is also something we did not see coming, the name, of course.
Dark trim and wheels do not make a "Dark Horse". That's what the "Stealth Edition" was. Stallion means raw, unbridled performance.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
somehow the episode of Mike Rowe castrating a stallion (rebroadcast that I watched last night) so that it would be more friendly toward mares, seems apropos.
Sponsored