• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

This is how buttons work..

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a dummy plate and they will actually be buttons on production cars.
Sponsored

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
they have this kind of thing on the new transits and 2023 escapes too, i call them "button buttons". they provide a light tactile "click" but the whole row moves at once, and i'm honestly not sure how they determine which button was pushed. the silver bit at the bottom has nothing to do with how they work

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a dummy plate and they will actually be buttons on production cars.
they have this kind of thing on the new transits and 2023 escapes too, i call them "button buttons". they provide a light tactile "click" but the whole row moves at once, and i'm honestly not sure how they determine which button was pushed. the silver bit at the bottom has nothing to do with how they work
It's just a cheap set of capacitive buttons (or a single panel, really). Likely no different than the buttons you'd find on the current lineup of Mercedes Benzes or Volkswagens, but instead of a single glossy surface, you have a matte surface with some decorative brightwork to give the illusion of individual buttons.

The whole panel probably senses which "button" your finger's current is going through, and depressing the panel registers that action.

It's an easy way for them to cut costs instead of having individual switchgear.

Click video and it'll jump to the part explaining the same tech.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
It's just a cheap set of capacitive buttons (or a single panel, really). Likely no different than the buttons you'd find on the current lineup of Mercedes Benzes or Volkswagens, but instead of a single glossy surface, you have a matte surface with some decorative brightwork to give the illusion of individual buttons.

The whole panel probably senses which "button" your finger's current is going through, and depressing the panel registers that action.

It's an easy way for them to cut costs instead of having individual switchgear.

Click video and it'll jump to the part explaining the same tech.

just tested the ones on a '23 Escape, they're not capacitive, but boy the center two of the four were weird, they only responded when i poked them with a pen, which doesn't give me tons of hope with the Mustang ones

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
just tested the ones on a '23 Escape, they're not capacitive, but boy the center two of the four were weird, they only responded when i poked them with a pen, which doesn't give me tons of hope with the Mustang ones
Maybe force sensitive buttons instead?

That's all I can think of. Like the Nissan Ariya or latest Tesla fake button things.

Or what was that shitty Blackberry storm thing lol

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
You can see it up close at the 1 min mark in this vid

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
You can see it up close at the 1 min mark in this vid

After playing that .5 second back 10 times, it seems the panel didn't give nearly as much as it did in that first pre-prod car

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
After playing that .5 second back 10 times, it seems the panel didn't give nearly as much as it did in that first pre-prod car

I did the same and noticed that as well

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
When the F16 was first deployed, pilots were in an uproar because the control stick didn't move. Designed for high g-forces, it responded to pressure, but the pilots complained they needed to feel it move.

This was the state of the art airframe at the time, the first 100% fly-by- wire fighter. I find it curious how the complaints then were the same as the complaints here 50 years later: "who designed this sumbitch?"

By the way, the pilots won. The stick was redesigned to allow a bit of movement to keep the pilots from freaking out.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
By the way, the pilots won. The stick was redesigned to allow a bit of movement to keep the pilots from freaking out.
Humans are multi-input signal processors. When you take away movement and the confirmation provided by sight and by wrist and elbow or upper-arm feedback you end up with a giant 'null' that the brain doesn't know how to deal with.

"pressure" sensitive thru thick gloves is also a very low and imprecise signalling mechanism. The 'sumbitch' who thought the pressure-pad joystick was a good idea had likely never flown a plane, and never worn all the gear in a 85deg cockpit yanking and banking and fiddling with a sea of knobs and switches and radar warnings and god knows what else. The egghead thought his mathmatical models and high-IQ rationalizations should hold sway. Sorry, but meat-space must always win. Humans are not computer programs that are too stupid to not know any better or know anything outside their limited programming.

said egg-head should have also known the lowly keyboard had long-since proved the absolute requirement for tactile feedback and motion. Practically nobody can use let alone touch-type on a keyboard whose keys don't move. And some of us absolutely require a heavy-handed force loop to type well and fast - and absolutely fail when saddled with Apple(tm) garbage.

Last edited:

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Coworker ordered and bought a brand new hybrid ST-Line, got try out these "buttons"....and I really agree. They feel cheap and not well thought out IMO. Pretty sure they're just capacitive "buttons" that only activate when you push the main button in.

Not an absolute deal breaker for me if I was all in for a '24, but something that could've been done better - especially at the continuing price hikes over the S550.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
geezus, where'd they find the moron who failed materials engineering who didn't bother to support the middle of a long run of weak-ass plastic? Seriously Ford, where are you finding such INCOMPETENT "engineers" and how is it NOBODY noticed the obvious panel flex and immediately required proper bracing?
No doubt the same individual(s) that engineered the roller coaster, warped as shit at the windshield defroster ducts from the factory, POS, dash in my '19 F150....
Sponsored