• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Hello all,
Looks like lots of people are ordering vehicles for the first time here. Well you are not alone. I am sure there are a few things that could be added or amended but I was just looking to make a complete thread that will assist newcomers to this forum that are looking for answers where they don’t have to trudge through searching a bunch of threads to learn and understand.

Where to start......
  • Call around and get a feel for pricing and if applicable in your area ADM (Additional Dealer Markup). Ask about any required down payment. Most do but a few don’t. $500 -$1000 is a normal amount.
  • Decide on a dealership.
  • Ordering
    • Sit down with your dealer (in person or video call) and go over the vehicle with the options you want. You might think this is straight forward and simple, but all it takes is one small miscommunication of an option and that could delay your vehicle for months, leaving you to have to cancel and reorder months later.
    • You will provide them with an email when you order. Makes sure this is correct and verify it visually if possible. If this isn’t correct, you won’t receive confirmation of your order or any future communications about your order from Ford.
    • Ask for a printout of your order. It is a one pager with items like the Dealers Sales code, Order #, and Price code at the top. And all the specs of the vehicle below with MSRP listed.
    • As a best practice, if your dealer offers you something such as a discount or a % below or above invoice, please have them write or notate it on this paperwork, making you a copy. Most of them are honest but remember that people change jobs and you don’t want to be stuck trying to prove your position.
  • Immediately after the order is placed.
    • You will receive an email from Ford confirming the placed order. Typically a within a few hours.
    • At one point you will receive an email with a VIN# and a link to track the order as your vehicle has been scheduled. Bookmark this link in your browser. You will have to provide the “Order Code” and “VIN” each time you visit the site to track your order.
    • As the vehicle enters different status’ you will typically receive an email, but not always. Don’t fret, the tracker is available from your bookmark you made earlier, and you can check it at any time.
    • At one point you might get impatient as the tracker doesn’t seen to really reflect your order or you see that others are getting their builds done quicker than yours. For that, reach out to the Ford chat. https://performanceparts.ford.com/ You will need your dealers “Sales Code” and “VIN” for this process. Often, they can see something the tracker won’t show and what the actual status of your build is. There is also a secondary status. Example of that: the tracker shows ”In Production” but the secondary status tells them it is at the body shop. Maybe those are the stripes you ordered or it is getting the roof painted black.
  • Window Sticker
    • You get to the window sticker through the order tracker.
    • This will be show up available approx. 1 week prior to scheduling / build date.
    • Here is a good breakdown of what things mean on the window sticker that I picked up form 5 or 6 different places on the interwebs.
    • S650 Mustang Guide for Newcomers - Ordering Vehicles at the Dealer Sticker To
    • S650 Mustang Guide for Newcomers - Ordering Vehicles at the Dealer Sticker Bottom
    • Link to the Ramp Codes
  • Tracker Link
  • Tracker section 1
    • Order Confirmed – Turns green with your order being place.
    • Scheduled Week Of – Once your build Schedule. With this Ford verifies that all of the parts needed to build your spec are readily available. This date can move quite a bit. Also Chat often doesn’t match up with the tracker. Either one can be right or wrong.
    • In Production – Turns green when it is in production. A specific date will appear once the vehicle is finished. This can be confirmed with the Ford Pass App
  • Tracker Section 2 – I have this listed a second section as it your build may not ever make it to these last three markers. People have received their vehicles in the past and the tracker is never updated past the “In production” with a date.
    • Built – Vehicle is built. Often this gets updated when the vehicle actually ships.
    • Shipped – Vehicle has shipped. This often reflects the day the dealer is expected to receive the vehicle.
    • Final Preparation – This is how long it will take your dealership to the a PDI (Predelivery Inspection) on the vehicle and make it ready for you to pick up and do your final paperwork.
    • S650 Mustang Guide for Newcomers - Ordering Vehicles at the Dealer Ford Tracker
  • Download the FordPass App
    • Once your vehicle is built you will see the ability to connect to it. You won’t be able to do this until you buy it, but it shows that the vehicle is online.
  • What can I do in the meantime?
    • Check out the forum postings
    • Visit Youtube
    • Ford.com and log in. Register your VIN to your account.
    • Read the owner’s manual. (not available as of 8-6-23)
    • Watch the How to Videos or as Ford calls them “Get the Rundown”
  • What happens if and FAQs……..
    • I didn’t receive an email confirming my order.
      • Check your spam.
      • Call your dealer and verify the email they used is not theirs or a misspelling of yours. One letter or number mistake is all it takes.
    • I can’t view my window sticker.
      • Typically, window stickers are released about 1 week prior to your vehicle being built / scheduled. If it is after the scheduled date, reach out to Ford chat and / or your dealership.
    • I received an email stating concerning the supply chain on parts.
      • Your vehicle may be configured with an option that is either difficult to supply or more people optioned for that than Ford allotted for. There will be a delay. The emails aren’t specifically helpful, but better than being left not knowing about it.
    • What is a Priority Code
      • A priority code can range from 1-19. Codes 10-19 are specific to the dealer you ordered from. It is a way for the dealer to specify the priority of their orders. 1-9 has traditionally been priority codes only Ford and move a vehicle to. In the past few months, they have released a program where dealers can use these. It is unknown at this time what the outcome of this will be.
    • Who knows more? My dealer or Ford.
      • It really all depends on what you are asking. Dealers have a system of communication that allows them to see some things, but for the most part they are just as much in the same spot as us. Using the tools above and coming back to these forums to read what others have learned seems to be the best manner of approach. Dealers don’t have some sort of insight into Ford in comparison to the customer or a “Bat Phone” they can pick up and speak straight to the order desk. Some dealers will keep you at arm distance during your order and others will try to keep you informed of every rumor they hear. Both styles can be quite unnerving at times.

This doesn’t cover everything or everyone’s experiences, but it should be helpful to most.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
one tip i have for people physically going to a dealer: if you can, avoid going with the salespeople in the showroom. at the dealer i work at, there are definitely nice people in the showroom, but some have what i call "showroom aggressiveness". they're out in the showroom for a reason, and some of them can be insufferable to deal with, both as a customer and employee. the people in the internet office are usually going to be nicer, more forward, and happier to help you.

another tip i have in general for dealing with salespeople is this: the sales department is short-sighted, and prefer "right now" gratification more than something that makes sense. fantastic example of this (with some nice karma) is we got a Lightning in that ended up being an abandoned order, so sales put a $20k markup on it. someone was ready and willing to buy the Lightning the same day it came in, if the markup was removed, but sales refused. that Lightning now sits in the showroom, unable to be sold because of the 23S30 recall (rear light bar may crack, allowing moisture in and making the reverse lights flicker or not work), and there is no ETA on parts.

here's my personal experience with the thing i mentioned earlier, "showroom aggressiveness". i remember during the ordering of my Mach 1, i asked my salesperson (who worked in the showroom) about removing most of the add-ons. he proceeded to walk me out back and talk down to me saying stuff like how he had to pay for add-ons on his truck (which was a stock unit), so i have to pay for add-ons too (on my special order), and how i'm getting special treatment because of who i know. i ended up telling the sales manager and getting switched over to someone in the internet office. i only deal with her now. i'm still kinda salty that, despite being so rude to a fellow employee, he still got partial credit for that sale.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
over to someone in the internet office.
avoid going with the salespeople in the showroom
^ This, plus 1.

I recommend using the Internet Sales department at the dealer of interest.

Dealers often have an Internet Sales department, along with the traditional front office Sales. Internet Sales work via phone and e-mail, not on the sales floor.

If using the Ford web site, you can craft and then send that build to the closest dealer. The message/build information at the Ford site has a section where you can cut-and-paste any text, notes, etc. Your information will be sent to Internet Sales. You can also often email the dealership direct.

After the initial call, I did all my haggling through emails. Once we agreed on price, I then went in to place the order and sign. Working through messages gave me an advantage and was less frustrating. The traditional back-and-forth is designed to wear a person down. Now, I controlled the pace. If I didn't want to work certain issues, I simply let that email sit for a day or do, thinking of my replies.

After my experience, I won't be stepping onto a sales floor again.

Last edited:

mabcim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64.5 Mustang Conv, ‘22 Maverick, ‘23 Escape
@fordvideoguy Tim, see OP’s original post. Has a nice breakdown of the window sticker. You said you always wanted learn more about them, thought this might help.

Finface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Red Eye, 2002 WRX Wagon
Thank you, GoodLettjr. Great information.

I just joined this forum so hello to one and all.

Regarding the internet salesperson as the person to do business with...I factory-ordered a 2019 Challenger and to try and get the best price I decided to contact 8 dealership's internet salespeople within 100 miles of where I live - in an effort to get them to bid against each other. Before I did this I found out the Dealer Invoice for the models I wanted. I was looking at both a Scat Pack and a Hellcat. I had "built" both online with my desired packages and options. I was upfront with everyone that I was providing each dealership with the exact same information about my desired models and options - and that I wanted my car to be factory-ordered - and that I was going to pay cash. I told them I knew about Dealer Holdback and I expected dealerships serious about making a sale to come in below invoice. Now, if you're not going to try and create an online bidding war where everyone concerned knows everything - the out the door bottom line being the decisive factor - then you should not tell whether you're planning to pay cash or finance. Whole 'nuther subject - go watch Youtube videos on how to negotiate.

I went to Edmunds.com and found both the MRSP and the Dealer Invoice price, listed side by side, for the model car and all the options. Options will have two prices too. From ChatGPT...

"The dealer invoice represents the price the dealership pays to the manufacturer for the vehicle. Some automotive websites, such as Edmunds.com, CarsDirect, TrueCar, and Kelley Blue Book, provide information on the dealer invoice price for specific car models. These websites may also offer pricing reports that include invoice details for various vehicles."

Once you have the Dealer Invoice cost for the car and options the next thing is to determine what is called Dealer Holdback. This article link explains how dealer invoice costs work. I excerpted the main points from the article inside italics.

https://www.autocheatsheet.com/new-car/dealer-holdback.html

"Dealer invoices have up to two to three percent holdback that is usually reserved for fleet customers. The general public is not aware of this inflation.

The manufacturer also offers rebates and delivery allowances in the range of a few hundred to thousands of dollars that is supposed to come off the price, and (me paraphrasing - dishonest salespersons/dealerships may not pass these savings along to customers and pocket them themselves).

Combining the hidden holdback with many rebates offered by the manufacturer, there can often times be a difference of $2000 or $3000 between the invoice price and actual dealer cost. If you purchase a vehicle at invoice prices - with a $3000 difference - the dealer makes $3000 on the vehicle. Many dealers will easily settle for a $1500 to $2500 profit. If they do, and you purchase the vehicle correctly, you will be well below dealer invoice!"

I saved a lot of money with this strategy, but it may be that Ford dealerships won't deal much at this point in time - with the 2024's just getting to dealerships - and there may not be any rebates yet. On the plus side for dealerships to make quick deals for cars already on the lot which they've ordered is they take out bank loans to get their lot cars. The longer they sit unsold the more interest the dealership has to pay out to the bank. It's a game of take some money now, or wait hoping someone else will come soon who will pay more.

Niko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT
Hello all,
Looks like lots of people are ordering vehicles for the first time here. Well you are not alone. I am sure there are a few things that could be added or amended but I was just looking to make a complete thread that will assist newcomers to this forum that are looking for answers where they don’t have to trudge through searching a bunch of threads to learn and understand.

Where to start......
  • Call around and get a feel for pricing and if applicable in your area ADM (Additional Dealer Markup). Ask about any required down payment. Most do but a few don’t. $500 -$1000 is a normal amount.
  • Ordering
    • Sit down with your dealer (in person or video call) and go over the vehicle with the options you want. You might think this is straight forward and simple, but all it takes is one small miscommunication of an option and that could delay your vehicle for months, leaving you to have to cancel and reorder months later.
    • You will provide them with an email when you order. Makes sure this is correct and verify it visually if possible. If this isn’t correct, you won’t receive confirmation of your order or any future communications about your order from Ford.
    • Ask for a printout of your order. It is a one pager with items like the Dealers Sales code, Order #, and Price code at the top. And all the specs of the vehicle below with MSRP listed.
    • As a best practice, if your dealer offers you something such as a discount or a % below or above invoice, please have them write or notate it on this paperwork, making you a copy. Most of them are honest but remember that people change jobs and you don’t want to be stuck trying to prove your position.
    • You will receive an email from Ford confirming the placed order. Typically a within a few hours.
    • At one point you will receive an email with a VIN# and a link to track the order as your vehicle has been scheduled. Bookmark this link in your browser. You will have to provide the “Order Code” and “VIN” each time you visit the site to track your order.
    • As the vehicle enters different status’ you will typically receive an email, but not always. Don’t fret, the tracker is available from your bookmark you made earlier, and you can check it at any time.
    • At one point you might get impatient as the tracker doesn’t seen to really reflect your order or you see that others are getting their builds done quicker than yours. For that, reach out to the Ford chat. https://performanceparts.ford.com/ You will need your dealers “Sales Code” and “VIN” for this process. Often, they can see something the tracker won’t show and what the actual status of your build is. There is also a secondary status. Example of that: the tracker shows ”In Production” but the secondary status tells them it is at the body shop. Maybe those are the stripes you ordered or it is getting the roof painted black.
  • Window Sticker
    • This will be show up available approx. 1 week prior to scheduling / build date.
    • Here is a good breakdown of what things mean on the window sticker that I picked up form 5 or 6 different places on the interwebs.
    • Sticker Top.png
    • Sticker Bottom.png
    • Link to the Ramp Codes
  • Tracker Link
  • Tracker section 1
    • Scheduled Week Of – Once your build Schedule. With this Ford verifies that all of the parts needed to build your spec are readily available. This date can move quite a bit. Also Chat often doesn’t match up with the tracker. Either one can be right or wrong.
    • In Production – Turns green when it is in production. A specific date will appear once the vehicle is finished. This can be confirmed with the Ford Pass App
  • Tracker Section 2 – I have this listed a second section as it your build may not ever make it to these last three markers. People have received their vehicles in the past and the tracker is never updated past the “In production” with a date.
    • Built – Vehicle is built. Often this gets updated when the vehicle actually ships.
    • Shipped – Vehicle has shipped. This often reflects the day the dealer is expected to receive the vehicle.
    • Final Preparation – This is how long it will take your dealership to the a PDI (Predelivery Inspection) on the vehicle and make it ready for you to pick up and do your final paperwork.
    • Ford Tracker.png
    • Once your vehicle is built you will see the ability to connect to it. You won’t be able to do this until you buy it, but it shows that the vehicle is online.
    • Visit Youtube
      • Check your spam.
      • Call your dealer and verify the email they used is not theirs or a misspelling of yours. One letter or number mistake is all it takes.
      • Typically, window stickers are released about 1 week prior to your vehicle being built / scheduled. If it is after the scheduled date, reach out to Ford chat and / or your dealership.
      • Your vehicle may be configured with an option that is either difficult to supply or more people optioned for that than Ford allotted for. There will be a delay. The emails aren’t specifically helpful, but better than being left not knowing about it.
      • A priority code can range from 1-19. Codes 10-19 are specific to the dealer you ordered from. It is a way for the dealer to specify the priority of their orders. 1-9 has traditionally been priority codes only Ford and move a vehicle to. In the past few months, they have released a program where dealers can use these. It is unknown at this time what the outcome of this will be.
      • It really all depends on what you are asking. Dealers have a system of communication that allows them to see some things, but for the most part they are just as much in the same spot as us. Using the tools above and coming back to these forums to read what others have learned seems to be the best manner of approach. Dealers don’t have some sort of insight into Ford in comparison to the customer or a “Bat Phone” they can pick up and speak straight to the order desk. Some dealers will keep you at arm distance during your order and others will try to keep you informed of every rumor they hear. Both styles can be quite unnerving at times.

This doesn’t cover everything or everyone’s experiences, but it should be helpful to most.

Good job @goodlettjr. I'm sure this will help a lot of people.
Something else for those unaware, even in those "markup times" you can still get a good deal at around invoice price without having to haggle with sales people as long as the dealership works with X-plan pricing. All of the Ford dealers near me honor it. All you have to do is sign up for a Mustang Club of America ( https://mustang.org/ )membership for $35 and you can save thousands. You must also be a member for a minimum of 90 days before you can use the plan and special models like the Dark Horse do not qualify for it.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Remember if you go to the dealer to look at or buy YOU know more about the car than the salesperson. The salesperson is only there to tell you that you look good in the car the sales manager sells you the car.

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
What about price protection?
I had to pay $1000 more than I expected /had arranged, and I was shown that the window sticker price had increased since I ordered the car.
I now have the car, (which I love) so it is after the fact. Still, I felt bitter bout the price change,. I was told they cannot protect price changes made by Ford

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
Hello all,

Where to start......
  • Ordering
  • Window Sticker
    • Sticker Top.png
    • Sticker Bottom.png
    • Link to the Ramp Codes
  • Tracker Link
  • Tracker section 1
    • Ford Tracker.png
    • Visit Youtube
      • Check your spam.

Please confirm the URL for Ford Chat. The one listed doesn't work for me.

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
Please confirm the URL for Ford Chat. The one listed doesn't work for me.
Use the "contact us" link to get to chat.

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
Use the "contact us" link to get to chat.
Doesn't work for me using Google Chrome. Does work using MS Edge. My order is unscheduled-Clean.
Sponsored