• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Common Practice at the Dealer for an Ordered Vehicle

rkmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'31 Chrysler, '59 Galaxie, & now '24 Mustang GT
I've bought a number of cars over the years (new & used), but always from Dealer stock. This is my first ordered vehicle and I'm curious what is common place during delivery/receipt of said vehicle. Normally, once I've found a vehicle that closely matches my configuration: go to the dealer, check the vehicle out, checkout the features, color, wheels,..., take it for a test drive (I'm a tire kicker), make my decision. On an ordered vehicle, I know what features, colors,... that I ordered so unnecessary, but is a test drive and a once-over still acceptable or common practice before taking delivery? Is the dealer expecting me to just come in, sign, and drive away? Opinions / Past experiences?

Hoping this thread is relevant in a few days!
Sponsored

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I was with my friend to pick up his new gt500, same thing, no test drive or nothing. And he spent over 100k.
I think they just expect someone buying a new car would think it drives like any other new car.
Interested for other opinions though.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
I drove other GT350s before I bought mine- so when I found mine I didnt drive it- just negotiated and bought it- if I had never driven an S650 before- I would want to drive it first to make sure I actually liked driving it ......

MGHTYDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW i4 M50; 2024 Mustang GT Premium
I've bought a number of cars over the years (new & used), but always from Dealer stock. This is my first ordered vehicle and I'm curious what is common place during delivery/receipt of said vehicle. Normally, once I've found a vehicle that closely matches my configuration: go to the dealer, check the vehicle out, checkout the features, color, wheels,..., take it for a test drive (I'm a tire kicker), make my decision. On an ordered vehicle, I know what features, colors,... that I ordered so unnecessary, but is a test drive and a once-over still acceptable or common practice before taking delivery? Is the dealer expecting me to just come in, sign, and drive away? Opinions / Past experiences?

When I ordered my Mach-E, I still did a test drive when it came in before finalizing the purchase. After the test drive and before finalizing the paperwork, I still had the option to walk away if I didn't like the car.

OP
OP
rkmustang

rkmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'31 Chrysler, '59 Galaxie, & now '24 Mustang GT
I will walk the vehicle inside and out to look for chips, nicks, or scratches (assume the dealer would to), but I would also expect to test drive to make sure that it drives right, handles right, and feels right. I've driven other model year Mustangs, but obviously not the S650.
Not sure that I care if I'm looked at sideways from my salesman, but wondering what others will do.

Adeel3466

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT NP/PP
You can always walk away from a deal so definitely go over the car and make sure you are good to go

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The dealer owns that vehicle till you or your bank does. So you have every right to micro scope it and drive it. If they say a word, walk. Let them try to keep a deposit. The $500 isn't worth word of mouth damage I could personally cause for my dealer.

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I know when my Mustang arrives I'm going to go around it on the exterior, sit inside, maybe drive it around the block before signing the paperwork.

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
I will walk the vehicle inside and out to look for chips, nicks, or scratches (assume the dealer would to), but I would also expect to test drive to make sure that it drives right, handles right, and feels right. I've driven other model year Mustangs, but obviously not the S650.
Not sure that I care if I'm looked at sideways from my salesman, but wondering what others will do.
I agree. It’s your money and if they want your sale they should accommodate you.

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Treat it like any other car on the lot. You just end up with right of first refusal essentially. Definitely drive it before doing the paperwork.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Years ago my boss wanted to buy a Japanese pickup truck without a name. He went to the dealer and the dealer said they had 3 that would be on sale over the week end. He showed up early and started to purchase the first one. Dealer looked out the window and saw it roll by so he said you better look at the second one. They got the key and went to test drive it but it was parked in. My boss said I will take it. The dealer said are you sure you want it without driving it? My boss said yes because if it doesn't run you have to fix it so I can get it off the lot. He passed away almost a year ago and as far as I know he was still driving the same truck.

Finface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Red Eye, 2002 WRX Wagon
For those among us who have a touch of OCD, or just feel like they want/deserve to buy a new car with less than about 3 miles on the odometer, buying from the factory is the way to go. I've factory ordered my wife's Subaru Outback, and my Challenger.

When I ordered my 2019 Challenger I specified to the dealer to not wash it. Or drive it anywhere but around their lot to do the dealer preparation stuff (which normally includes washing it). It had 2.5 miles on it when it arrived off the truck. Same with the Subaru.

As an aside to the thread, I immediately drove the Challenger to a detailer shop where they carefully washed it before applying vinyl to the entire care - and then ceramic coating on top of the vinyl. What I wanted to avoid was the lowest paid employee (maybe a high school kid) at the dealership having a chance to screw the paint job up. This initial max effort detailing wasn't cheap - $6,000 - but now after 8,000 miles (and putting the car up in winter months, and keeping it in a garage 99% of the time I've had it) with a third of those miles driving the hell out of it on road courses during HPDE - the car literally looks new. Not a rock chip or scratch on it.

When I order my 2024 Mustang (still mulling over model/options) I won't spring for vinyl all over the car, but I may opt for spot vinyl protection on the front of the rear fender flares (for those getting staggered wheels and tires I'd recommend this) will for professional ceramic coating. It will be my daily driver.

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
For those among us who have a touch of OCD, or just feel like they want/deserve to buy a new car with less than about 3 miles on the odometer, buying from the factory is the way to go. I've factory ordered my wife's Subaru Outback, and my Challenger.

When I ordered my 2019 Challenger I specified to the dealer to not wash it. Or drive it anywhere but around their lot to do the dealer preparation stuff (which normally includes washing it). It had 2.5 miles on it when it arrived off the truck. Same with the Subaru.

As an aside to the thread, I immediately drove the Challenger to a detailer shop where they carefully washed it before applying vinyl to the entire care - and then ceramic coating on top of the vinyl. What I wanted to avoid was the lowest paid employee (maybe a high school kid) at the dealership having a chance to screw the paint job up. This initial max effort detailing wasn't cheap - $6,000 - but now after 8,000 miles (and putting the car up in winter months, and keeping it in a garage 99% of the time I've had it) with a third of those miles driving the hell out of it on road courses during HPDE - the car literally looks new. Not a rock chip or scratch on it.

When I order my 2024 Mustang (still mulling over model/options) I won't spring for vinyl all over the car, but I may opt for spot vinyl protection on the front of the rear fender flares (for those getting staggered wheels and tires I'd recommend this) will for professional ceramic coating. It will be my daily driver.
Are you talking vinyl like a wrap or ppf? I'm going to assume ppf based on the price you mentioned. I'll likely do ppf on front, hood, behind wheels, and near door handles. Graphene the rest

Finface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Red Eye, 2002 WRX Wagon
Are you talking vinyl like a wrap or ppf? I'm going to assume ppf based on the price you mentioned. I'll likely do ppf on front, hood, behind wheels, and near door handles. Graphene the rest
Rio,

Yes…the detailer had a perfect jig for all the car panels to cut the PPL pieces. SunTek Ultra PPL and 9 year Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating. SunTek Ultra guaranteed for ten years, and...9 year ceramic might be a stretch *grin*. I wipe the car with C2 V3 ceramic coating maintenance product every couple months it isn't in winter storage (under a car cover).

i haven’t heard of graphene. Will have to look that up.

Best,

Finface

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon

They let you drive them and, heck them out good
Sponsored