• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Front inner wheel well issues

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
For now, I went and bought extra-wide Gorilla tape and taped over the opening sideways, vertically, so that it's closed up. Let's see how long this DIY repair will last... I swear, Ford deliberately introduces these ticking timebombs. They probably had a meeting to see what they could eff up and settled on this.

My last Mustang (07) had an annoying issue where the cowl would be full of leaves, branches, pine needles. I solved that by gluing mesh to the grill (coincidentally Mustangs finally started doing the same). That worked marvelously, until I got rear-ended, and "totalled" the car, so that the insurance company would not pay for the repairs... And now here I am with the latest Mustang. A very fun car, I must say, a lot of stupid things have been improved, but this... THIS... what in the actual f.

As of now, I called the dealership, and they are a joke, they are saying that they are so busy they won't be able to look at this till next year. However, I did submit 2 claims: Ford and Vehicle Safety Hotline. The more of us doing the same will hopefully cause Ford to undo this design improvement. I'm also waiting for aftermarket wheel well liners, right now nothing aftermarket exists for the 2024 Mustang yet!
We have to keep spreading the word.

It still surprises me how little this bothers some people - oh well!
Sponsored

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Went ahead an ordered mud flaps. Amazon tells me they are compatible with the Mustang. If anything, I can return if they don't cover the hole. The difference between these and the others is that they cover more space on the top. All others are more skinny, and leave the holes in question exposed. Will see if they can be fitted properly and have them installed next week hopefully.
S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 9.47.53 AM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CH9HR7MK

Last edited:

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
We have to keep spreading the word.

It still surprises me how little this bothers some people - oh well!
Well it doesn’t bother me as i haven’t noticed anything getting in there.

NH_woodser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium Convertible
This is the only aftermarket 2024 specific mudflap I have found, and it doesn't cover the opening. ZL1 Addons.

S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues ZL1Addons 2024 Mustang Mud Flaps

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Well it doesn’t bother me as i haven’t noticed anything getting in there.

Even if there are no rocks/gravel inside, on snowy days, salt will definitely get in there... and get trapped in there rusting out the bottom. Think about it, as you drive on the wet salty road, the wheel lining always gets wet. If you drive through mud, the wheel always slings that stuff all over. Now add salt to the equation and the fact that you have a hole in there. The lining's purpose is to protect the engine bay and the bottom of your car. Otherwise, why even have it, if it lets things in. If you just drive on good pavement when the weather is nice, then you won't get anything inside.

On my old mustang there was so much crap gathered between the bumper and the bumper cover -- like bags and bags of dirt, leaves, rocks after 10 years, when I had my bumper changed. Even all the grass/leaves is not completely harmless, but salt is what concerns me the most.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Even if there are no rocks/gravel inside, on snowy days, salt will definitely get in there... and get trapped in there rusting out the bottom. Think about it, as you drive on the wet salty road, the wheel lining always gets wet. If you drive through mud, the wheel always slings that stuff all over. Now add salt to the equation and the fact that you have a hole in there. The lining's purpose is to protect the engine bay and the bottom of your car. Otherwise, why even have it, if it lets things in. If you just drive on good pavement when the weather is nice, then you won't get anything inside.

On my old mustang there was so much crap gathered between the bumper and the bumper cover -- like bags and bags of dirt, leaves, rocks after 10 years, when I had my bumper changed. Even all the grass/leaves is not completely harmless, but salt is what concerns me the most.
I don’t need to think about it. I’m not dealing with salty roads. And if I was I’d handle it.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150

I definitely see what you're saying about salt during winter weather. I haven't noticed any debris in mine, but to be fair she's a fair weather princess. She has seen her last drop of rain (was a nasty, rainy day when I picked her up) the day I took delivery. So for now I am just checking the opening for road debris. If you find a good aftermarket solution I'd love to hear about it. I would upgrade to cover that hole if the right solution comes along. I just wonder what the engineers were wanting that opening to do for them. Has to be a reason. 🤔

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
This is the only aftermarket 2024 specific mudflap I have found, and it doesn't cover the opening. ZL1 Addons.

ZL1Addons 2024 Mustang Mud Flaps.jpg
Bummer, although now if we could just turn it a little…argh. Could be a fairly straight ‘fix’ if the flap was just a little wider there and taller there and …

budman00000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C8 2021 Kia Telluride 2021 Tucson and 06 350z
Went ahead an ordered mud flaps. Amazon tells me they are compatible with the Mustang. If anything, I can return if they don't cover the hole. The difference between these and the others is that they cover more space on the top. All others are more skinny, and leave the holes in question exposed. Will see if they can be fitted properly and have them installed next week hopefully.
Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 9.47.53 AM.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CH9HR7MK
Let us know if they work and what fasteners you use. I was thinking of black gorilla tape or flex seal tape to cover the hole.

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Let us know if they work and what fasteners you use. I was thinking of black gorilla tape or flex seal tape to cover the hole.
Gorilla tape (extra wide) works great so far. I also bought felt adhesive patches, and Gorilla swimming pool patch tape. For now, Gorilla tape does the job. I will try out the flaps in the next couple of days. If my mechanic says it's good to go, I'll cover the area with multiple layers of everything (gorilla tape, felt patch on top of that, and flaps).

maybemaybe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Honda Civic
I have been holding off on my order because of this issue in particular. Not about to drop $70K (Canadian) on a car and have to use duct tape to cover up an obvious design flaw.

Reactions: Dxm
OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sadly Ford is not going to do anything about this for the foreseeable future.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
Has it been confirmed that the whole doesn't have a purpose? Is it a drain hole or vent?

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has it been confirmed that the whole doesn't have a purpose? Is it a drain hole or vent?
Our dealer only got an acknowledgment from a rep “that they could see that it could b a problem for car in the north”- no other information. I’ve heard.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
Our dealer only got an acknowledgment from a rep “that they could see that it could b a problem for car in the north”- no other information. I’ve heard.
I just notice you are from VT, was it Heritage by chance?
Sponsored