• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Front inner wheel well issues

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
plastic gets brittle and cracks over time though.
Have you had the opportunity to perform the smoke test? Or i should say, been able to take them out for a drive and see how they hold up?
No, the car is going into storage for the winter. I’m confident in the fiberglass but the carpet less so. My hope is that the aftermarket companies start manufacturing the ABS replacement inner fender wells like they did for the 550.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
plastic gets brittle and cracks over time though.
When I sold My 69 442 it was 47 years old and it had its original plastic inner fender wells and they had no cracks or splits in them. ABS is pretty durable stuff. Time takes its toll on most things though.

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my 16 S550 used the fabric material. When did they change it to plastic and then back?
I don’t know? I worked on a coworkers 2018 and they were plastic for sure. Perhaps they were aftermarket?

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
When I sold My 69 442 it was 47 years old and it had its original plastic inner fender wells and they had no cracks or splits in them. ABS is pretty durable stuff. Time takes its toll on most things though.
That’s some tough plastic. My 05 and ‘13 vehicles had crack front fender liners by a couple of the screws. Never had to remove them. Maybe the temp fluctuations from 100’s to sub zero winters had an effect

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
FWIW, I checked my S550 earlier. There's a bulge (out) in the same spot, shaped a bit differently, but close to yours. The liner is all one piece. I didn't try to pull it back and look in, as there are fasteners close-by.
Almost makes one wonder what the interoperability over/under lap would be.

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s some tough plastic. My 05 and ‘13 vehicles had crack front fender liners by a couple of the screws. Never had to remove them. Maybe the temp fluctuations from 100’s to sub zero winters had an effect
I sold our 2003 S2000 in the spring which we had 20 years and those to were plastic and they were in excellent shape. Of coarse it helps only being driven seasonally

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I sold our 2003 S2000 in the spring which we had 20 years and those to were plastic and they were in excellent shape. Of coarse it helps only being driven seasonally
We just traded in our 08 solstice gxp and they were fine. It definitely didn’t get driven in the winter.

DannyJ7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium, Carbonized Gray
@Ford Motor Company, this needs an answer asap. I'm in michigan and will be driving this car during winter. Issuing a fix on this will certainly be cheaper than the alternative.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
I didn't notice this on my car when I did an oil change and put jacking rails on. I'll have to check when it's out of hibernation.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
While I get a laugh out of the various Flex commercials I can say that on my 03 vert top it worked great. Had a tree branch pierce the top like and arrow. Put some Flex Tape on and it's lasted 2 years with no sign of falling off. I did put it both on the outside and inside underneath the top. I'm going to put it on my s650 when I get it because I remember with my 03 GT the front frame members would collect water and rust to pieces. Common problem. Hopefully Ford issues a fix as this seems ridiculous to me.
Sponsored