• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dealer forced Accessory Add-On's

Germansheperd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hellcat Jailbreak
I’d never pay MSRP for a GT. If I can get A/Z plan on a GT I walk. Wife’s GT vert was 55k MSRP paid just under 50k.
Sponsored

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
So here is what my dealer is pitching and I have never heard of most of this, but I'm sure it's high markup stuff.

1. Crystal Fusion Protection with 3 year warrantee. WTF is this? I suspect a spray bottle.
2. VIN etch (I know this one is a high mark up scam).
3. D-Fence GPS for 1 year. $89 per year after that.

It's about $1000.00 for all of it HOWEVER, they are tossing in a 100k (really 40k after factory) Powertrain Warranty at no cost.

Anyone familiar with the above?

I am very familiar with the high markup dealer items, but to me using an X-Plan which many dealers refuse to accept, this seems like a decent deal.

And my insurance company says discount for all 3... Who knows?

Comments?

TIA

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
You can safely assume that it is not in your benefit to pay for things that are not standard.
Add-ons are not helping you, they are adding profit for the dealership.

with that being said 1000 is not too much if they allowed you to use x-plan. Thats up to you.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
You can safely assume that it is not in your benefit to pay for things that are not standard.
Add-ons are not helping you, they are adding profit for the dealership.

With that being said 1000 is not too much if they allowed you to use x-plan. Thats up to you.
Thank you ! Dealers around here refuse the X-Plan as they are charging well over MSRP... Plus I get the 100k Powertrain warranty... Seems like a decent deal even though I know I'm getting screwed...

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
The other thing I find brutal is the interest rate. My Ford dealership offered me 5.45% for up to 72 months, with zero down if I want.
you need to take that rate, won't find much better even at credit unions.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
So here is what my dealer is pitching and I have never heard of most of this, but I'm sure it's high markup stuff.

1. Crystal Fusion Protection with 3 year warrantee. WTF is this? I suspect a spray bottle.

It's about $1000.00 for all of it HOWEVER, they are tossing in a 100k (really 40k after factory) Powertrain Warranty at no cost.

Anyone familiar with the above?

I am very familiar with the high markup dealer items, but to me using an X-Plan which many dealers refuse to accept, this seems like a decent deal.

And my insurance company says discount for all 3... Who knows?

Comments?

TIA
IMO: #1, 2, 3 are not needed. Is the warrantee they are throwing in from ford or just the local dealer / shop?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

1. Likely a "Detailer" using a spray bottle of "ceramic" coating. Actual price: $8.95. Possible horrible application of ceramic coating by non-pro, with dirty equipment.

2. Yes. Maximum profit. Little to no value.

3. LoJack is proven and established. Cost about the same. If you live in a high crime area, park in the open, like an apartment complex, a product like this might be your while. Otherwise, I'd pass.

But...if any of us needs to alarm up their car, I'd spend money moving to a lower crime area, then begin saving for a new car. I have family living in less-desirable parts of the country. Stolen cats, rims and tires are common. It's not worth keeping anything nice because it will eventually be stolen. Or vandalized. Thieves can defeat virtually anything these days.

Attached is what's covered by the Powertrain warranty. Not much.

IMO, pass on everything. Secure the car only at the best price or walk.

If you buy with no add-ons, once you get settled with the car, study Ford's warranty options and buy one from Granger. You have three years to purchase an extended warranty.

Visit local detailers who apply ceramic coatings, PPF and tint. If interested, chat them up about their offerings.

"...even though I know I'm getting screwed." Ug. If the dealer refuses to drop all add-ons and simply sell you the car, consider pausing for now. Once the S650 is more plentiful and the economy has cooled a bit, you'll have a better experience pursuing a purchase. Odds are good all of the topics involving buying a car will then be in your favor.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ike99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Tacoma Pre Runner, 2016 Avalon
Excellent idea! If their daily business practices mirror the values described herein, then they should be proud to display those values transparently and own them.
Some dealers....all.you can do is shake your head. And they say things are bigger in Texas? HA!

S650 Mustang Dealer forced Accessory Add-On's Screenshot_20230918_174634_Firefox Nightly

VenomGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Hi Guys,

I'm kind of in a predicament, I ordered a Grabber Blue GT NP PP back in July and my build date is in October However my dealership received a couple of GTs this week so I decided to take a sneak peak at one and was able to drive one. (very nice in person, felt very smooth to drive) However, the point of this thread like the title implies was the non-negotiable add-on that I was not aware of when I ordered mine. I did get MSRP and price protection on my order but now the dealer let me know there are 6k add-ons to be added to the total price. I asked if maybe we could remove some since I would be having my own installed in the near future (e.g. Paint protection, tint, etc.) but was told no, "As soon as the car arrives these accessories are installed." BTW 1.5k for a digital plate?? I wanted to get some feedback from the guys on this and if maybe I should skip buying from this dealer and look elsewhere. My car has a MSRP of around 63k but with add-ons and taxes, the car is closer to 73-74k. Although it would suck to have to wait even longer I do not wanna get screwed over. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: sorry for the bad quality, not in town so asked my partner to take a picture. On the right side after the initial price you can see the listed add-ons(which btw he did not say anything till after I noticed) what do you guys think?

IMG_0968.jpeg

n2ofusion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6M
For my Dark Horse, I agreed to Paint Protection ($1,000) and no markup on mine, which was far more reasonable than my initial dealer who tacked on $10K at the time we ordered (after having several discussions about this not happening beforehand). Thankfully the original salesman (stand up guy) pointed me in the direction of another dealer who had an unclaimed allocation. Their only stipulation was the paint protection, which I accepted. Now I still wait for my car to be picked for production. Hopefully Spring?
May I ask where this was?