• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
No it’s just funny how everything think they know what happened. I know what happened because I was driving the car and saw every second of the incident.
You know the order in which you become aware of things. That may or may not be the order in which things occurred. That's all I'm saying.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Good morning @Vaporblue24 and welcome to the forum. First off condolences for the loss of your Dark Horse. I cannot imagine the angst you felt for your car and more importantly, your daughter. Second, please disregard some of the posts made on here making assumptions and speculating without actually knowing anything. That’s just the internet. Third, thanks for coming on here to state the facts and set us straight. Lastly, your daughter and you are both safe. The car can and will be replaced. Hopefully with a Mustang so you will stay on this forum.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
You know the order in which you become aware of things. That may or may not be the order in which things occurred. That's all I'm saying.
Good point, especially with a child in the car. There is no way anyone is thinking straight under the circumstances. Hopefully Ford will do a forensic inspection of the car and let @Vaporblue24, and us, know what happened.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Fortunately I had a Dashcam in which the Micro SD card survived so I have 3 minute videos of the entire thing from my garage to fire truck
Glad you are ok when your Mustang literally turned into a dark Horse and gave blue amber a new meaning…Hope you dont have to wait for your money too long as the dashcam wont be able to show what started the fire and the malfunction of the clutch…At least it is totaled and you dont have to worry about shoddy repairs and in the end it is only a car and thus material easily replaceable !

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fortunately I had a Dashcam in which the Micro SD card survived so I have 3 minute videos of the entire thing from my garage to fire truck
Glad you are ok when your Mustang literally turned into a dark Horse and gave blue amber a new meaning…Hope you dont have to wait for your money too long as the dashcam wont be able to show what started the fire and the malfunction of the clutch…At least it is totaled and you dont have to worry about shoddy repairs and in the end it is only a car and thus material easily replaceable !

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I've heard of something similar with the GT350s. IIRC, there may have been a GT350 TSB pertaining to the hydraulic line which taps off the brake reservoir that was leaky and would drip brake fluid.

I suspect the guys clutch hydraulic line came loose or let go, dumping brake fluid onto his header and igniting.

This reminds me of a story when I was instructing at the Daytona International Speedway. I was doing a demo session for my student in his GT350 and we pulled into the garage area. As soon as the car stopped, I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from under the hood. My initial thought was a loose oil pressure sensor (it was common in the GT350).

I opened the hood to find a ball of fire in the area below the brake reservoir around the header. Before the fire got out of control (like you saw in the above photos), I grabbed a halon fire extinguisher and put the fire out.

So yes, the clutch symptom along with the location of the fire points to the reservoir leaking or a line coming loose.

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
The comments in here are all over the place. The internet is a wild wild place. But the truth shall set me free.
Am glad you’re safe, hopefully you get through the process with fully compensation. Maybe after this whole thing you can give us a brief of what happened, lessons learnt could be useful to other owners.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Good point, especially with a child in the car. There is no way anyone is thinking straight under the circumstances. Hopefully Ford will do a forensic inspection of the car and let @Vaporblue24, and us, know what happened.
I don't think ford will let anyone know what exactly happened. In an incident a long time ago, a guy on the track had an oil line let go and it dumped oil all over his header and ignited. Ford took the car, analyzed the problem, and based upon their findings, gave him a brand new GT350 R model. His user name on M6G was ITLRUN. Here is the photo....

S650 Mustang Dark Horse on fire and burns down (from stuck clutch) GT350+Fire+2.web

He was upgraded to a GT350R, but Ford never went public on this one. I suspect that the same will be true for the OP.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've heard of something similar with the GT350s. IIRC, there may have been a GT350 TSB pertaining to the hydraulic line which taps off the brake reservoir that was leaky and would drip brake fluid.

I suspect the guys clutch hydraulic line came loose or let go, dumping brake fluid onto his header and igniting.

This reminds me of a story when I was instructing at the Daytona International Speedway. I was doing a demo session for my student in his GT350 and we pulled into the garage area. As soon as the car stopped, I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from under the hood. My initial thought was a loose oil pressure sensor (it was common in the GT350).

I opened the hood to find a ball of fire in the area below the brake reservoir around the header. Before the fire got out of control (like you saw in the above photos), I grabbed a halon fire extinguisher and put the fire out.

So yes, the clutch symptom along with the location of the fire points to the reservoir leaking or a line coming loose.
What you are saying makes a lot of sense ! When I had my SS1LE new I was looking for the powersteering fluid 🤣 as I could not find it since it was electric finding out brake and clutch reservoir were the same…

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you are saying makes a lot of sense ! When I had my SS1LE new I was looking for the powersteering fluid 🤣 as I could not find it since it was electric finding out brake and clutch reservoir were the same…
Like I said, too much of a coincidence that his clutch pedal had issues and there was a fire. Again, I've seen it first hand at the track...... and single handedly saved the guys car while everyone else around wondered what to do.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Like I said, too much of a coincidence that his clutch pedal had issues and there was a fire. Again, I've seen it first hand at the track...... and single handedly saved the guys car while everyone else around wondered what to do.
So do you think this a one off or should all DH M6 owners check under the hood?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So do you think this a one off or should all DH M6 owners check under the hood?
It's an easy inspection. I don't own an S650 (yet, lol) but IIRC, the lower section of the brake reservoir has the clutch hydraulics line connected to it. The fitting should not be leaking or weeping any fluid and the connectors need to be secure. I think I used small zip ties on mine to make absolutely sure the line wouldn't come off. When I did inspect the clutch line on my 2017 triple yellow R, it was leaking fluid. The zip tie took care of it.

Rapid_RedGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT