• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Vickstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Saw this over the weekend at https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com...-patent-mustang-bronco-f-150-ranger-maverick/

COULD A FUTURE MUSTANG RUN ON HYDROGEN? FORD PATENTS TURBOCHARGED HYDROGEN COMBUSTION ENGINE

Capable Of Achieving Zero Emissions With All The Drama Of An Engine

Amidst all the high-profile BEV news, Ford engineers have been quietly exploring ways to keep the internal combustion side of the business healthy, including a new method of hydrogen combustion.

Discovered by MC&T within the U.S Patent and Trademark Office database, Ford has created a method of combustion allowing a turbocharged hydrogen-fueled engine to operate across a wide range of air/fuel lambda values depending on torque demands. Internal exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and valve timing would be used to control combustion.

Full technical article: https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com...-patent-mustang-bronco-f-150-ranger-maverick/

S650 Mustang Could S650 Mustang (or beyond) get turbo hydrogen combustion engine? Patent discovered Ford-Motor-Company-Hydrogen-Combustion-Engine-Patent-1
Sponsored

Fx2beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 ford f150 2019 mustang gt
The more and more speculations leaked the more I'm turned off about the s650. Glad I ordered the 2022 just in case. Future of modding is doomed. These parts will cost so much money people will not want to risk voiding warranty (average joes).

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Hydrogen is simple put a dead end. It just doesn't make any sense, especially in cars. Either use electric drivetrains right away or use synthetic fuel. Wasting energy to transform it into another form is pointless.

I'm also pretry sure that we'll never see a hydrogen Mustang that can actually be ordered.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Hydrogen is simple put a dead end. It just doesn't make any sense, especially in cars. Either use electric drivetrains right away or use synthetic fuel. Wasting energy to transform it into another form is pointless.

I'm also pretry sure that we'll never see a hydrogen Mustang that can actually be ordered.
Agreed, there's virtually no infrastructure to support hydrogen cars, and they're too expensive. Both problems evs faced 5-7 years ago that have since been resolved. But I don't see these issues being fixed with hydrogen vehicles.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT with Premium and Track Package
Hydrogen power would be excellent, and the Japanese manufacturers were big into this in California a while back, but the fueling infrastructure just could seem to get legs. There's stories online about why, but what a shame that technology didn't take hold. Maybe it was rolledout at the wrong time? To early for many to even care?

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang, '17 Explorer, '74 Cessna 210
Hydrogen doesn’t solve any problems. The most efficient source is from steam cracking petroleum with CO2 as the by product. Yes in an industrial setting you can capture the CO2 but disposal is problematic. You still have nitrous oxides produced during combustion.

it’s a dead end unless you have a solar or nuclear plant for hydrolysis of water for the H2. But if you have those just charge batteries and be done with it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I love high tech and innovation, but I agree hydrogen doesn't make sense, especially because gasoline can be had cheaply and our reserves of oil are huge. Some day in the future maybe hydrogen will be prefered. However, currently gas engines are the best answer.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT 500 PP, Past'13 GT500,98 GT,'92 LX 5.0 5spd
Nothing wrong with exploring the tech.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Ford could be covering their bases in the event that hydrogen becomes a thing. Getting a patent for the technology is a good idea.

Lithium-ion batteries are going away at some point. There's a lot of exciting things happening with battery tech these days. I think at some point, improvements will be significant enough that EV tech is going to be more than a novelty.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro