• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Clunking Sound Backing out of Driveway

DRKKNITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse (Handling Package)
So i have the dark horse with the handling package and at times, I seem to get a clunking sound when turning the wheel and backing out of the driveway.

Anybody else experience this and any idea what it is? I tried to get the audio from in the car but doesn't happen every time and the time it did and I was taping it didn't really come up. Maybe I'll try with the windows down.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DRKKNITE

DRKKNITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you backed over the trash can, lol.

Check that the shipping spacers are out of the springs... some dealers neglect this.
Ha with this clearance I can't back over a cat. LOL

Interesting, I will check that. Seems to only be when reversing and turning the wheel and it comes of the short ledge of the driveway. It did happen once when turning the wheel and starting to leave in first gear. Definitely coming from the front end.

0627gabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT and 23 GT Vert
I notice the same thing when backing my dark horse out as well. Mines a manual and Im very careful with it lol I assumed it was the clutch or even the electronic brake disengaging. My moms explorer ST makes the same noise and that thing will engage the parking brake everytime its in Park.

OP
OP
DRKKNITE

DRKKNITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I notice the same thing when backing my dark horse out as well. Mines a manual and Im very careful with it lol I assumed it was the clutch or even the electronic brake disengaging. My moms explorer ST makes the same noise and that thing will engage the parking brake everytime its in Park.
Interesting that someone else is experiencing it. Haven't jacked mine up yet to look for shipping spacers but I doubt they would only make noise at the beginning of a drive. Mine is manual as well. If you find out anything let me know as I will do the same. We just had a snow storm last night so I can't take her out for a few days at least.

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Ha with this clearance I can't back over a cat. LOL

Interesting, I will check that. Seems to only be when reversing and turning the wheel and it comes of the short ledge of the driveway. It did happen once when turning the wheel and starting to leave in first gear. Definitely coming from the front end.
Small cat then......:shock:

bloodybobber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Darkhorse
So i have the dark horse with the handling package and at times, I seem to get a clunking sound when turning the wheel and backing out of the driveway.

Anybody else experience this and any idea what it is? I tried to get the audio from in the car but doesn't happen every time and the time it did and I was taping it didn't really come up. Maybe I'll try with the windows down.
I am getting the same thing and going foward too. just turned 100 miles. almost sounds like a tire rub.

bloodybobber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Darkhorse
I am getting the same thing and going forward too. just turned 100 miles. almost sounds like a tire rub.
I just checked you can easlie see them in the front they are yellow. I assume the ones in the back are there too but they are much harder to see. I have an appointment with the service manager at 0800 tommorrow. Gives you faith in their shop huh. I wonder how many more are running around like this? Dealer removed the shipping spacers all the noises are now gone and the ride is much better and the car sits 1/2 an inch lower.

Last edited:

Renegade561

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 dark horse
I can hear a mild scraping type clunk when coming and leaving my driveway. But I just assumed it was a little scrape since me driveway is inclined just a tad.

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback
Mine's not a Dark Horse, but I get something similar. I feel like it's the electronic break hesitating before disengaging. It's happened to me going forward or in reverse. My car is a manual. Sometimes I forget to disengage it. But it's happened too with Auto Hold but not as noticeable.

OP
OP
DRKKNITE

DRKKNITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just checked you can easlie see them in the front they are yellow. I assume the ones in the back are there too but they are much harder to see. I have an appointment with the service manager at 0800 tommorrow. Gives you faith in their shop huh. I wonder how many more are running around like this?
OMG that is wild. I'll get under there and take a look on the weekend. I bet it's the same thing. So tell me, operationally after you would hear the sound at the beginning of a drive would it handle well? Mine has not been tested by any means as the weather is still cold and these tires are like hockey pucks. LOL. But seems to run fine after the initial clunk in the front end. I'll update after I check it out.

OP
OP
DRKKNITE

DRKKNITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine's not a Dark Horse, but I get something similar. I feel like it's the electronic break hesitating before disengaging. It's happened to me going forward or in reverse. My car is a manual. Sometimes I forget to disengage it. But it's happened too with Auto Hold but not as noticeable.
Hmmmm, now I am wondering if I am always disengaging the brake properly. Does the brake disengage itself if you don't push down? I kind of had the feeling it did.

And is auto hold a function that holds it steady on a hill? Mine seemed to do it once but I was not sure that was what was happening. Is auto hold just a setting. Yes I am going to read the manual. Why on earth it is in the car screens and not a hard copy. LOL

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback
Hmmmm, now I am wondering if I am always disengaging the brake properly. Does the brake disengage itself if you don't push down? I kind of had the feeling it did.

And is auto hold a function that holds it steady on a hill? Mine seemed to do it once but I was not sure that was what was happening. Is auto hold just a setting. Yes I am going to read the manual. Why on earth it is in the car screens and not a hard copy. LOL
The brake does disengage if you don't push down, but it often hesitates and sometimes makes an audible clunking noise.

For Auto Hold, on a manual transmission it keeps the car still for a few seconds so the car doesn't roll, but it only comes on if you push down on the brake pedal hard enough when you come to a stop. A little green hand comes onto the bottom of the dash, indicating that it is engaged. It basically does the same thing on an automatic, but an auto won't roll on a hill so it's less helpful there. It's nice to give your legs a break at stoplights, though. Especially if you're having to get on the clutch a lot in traffic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DRKKNITE

DRKKNITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The brake does disengage if you don't push down, but it often hesitates and sometimes makes an audible clunking noise.

For Auto Hold, on a manual transmission it keeps the car still for a few seconds so the car doesn't roll, but it only comes on if you push down on the brake pedal hard enough when you come to a stop. A little green hand comes onto the bottom of the dash, indicating that it is engaged. It basically does the same thing on an automatic, but an auto won't roll on a hill so it's less helpful there. It's nice to give your legs a break at stoplights, though. Especially if you're having to get on the clutch a lot in traffic.
THank you for that information. Very helpful.

If the brake disengages automatically as well, I suspect it could be used as a type of autohold if I don't see it engaged. I remember back in the day I would use the hand break to assist on a hill while engaging the clutch to avoid those few inches it may go backwards.

OP
OP
DRKKNITE

DRKKNITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So would this be a shipping spacers? This the right and left side of the front end. NOTE: I had a rust proofing done before pickup.

IMG_6873.jpg
IMG_6876.jpg
Sponsored