• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Challenger or S650

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0
I’ve had 2 Challengers and several Mustangs. I don’t understand where the misconceptions about the Challengers come from. Mine was like 4100 lbs. The new Mustang GT Premium is what, 3950? That’s pretty damned close. I also had no problems with the handling. My Challengers handled amazing, steering feel is actually better than Mustang. The trunk is actually usable. The rear seat is actually usable. The front seats actually have leg room. They are much more comfortable and practical cars. Build quality… I’d put my Challengers above anything. When I’d drive gravel roads there’d be no rattles or creaks or moans. Just a very solid and well built car.

Unfortunately the prices reflect that. V8 Challengers are very expensive even on the used market, whereas Mustangs are a dime a dozen. So that’s why Mustang became the official car of the tight budget guy. Nothing at all wrong with that. I enjoy my Mustang. It’s a fun car too.
The lightest I could find for a V8 challenger was 4,200 lbs by Motortrend, and that was a 5.7 liter. The 392 was 4,275 lbs-both were not the widebody, which are even heavier at 4,340 lbs (Motortrend).

A Camaro SS A10 was 3,730 lbs (also Motortrend), and the A10 Mustang GT was 3,860 lbs (also Motortrend). You’re right that the S650 is a little heavier than the S550. But comparing similar trims (392 to SS to GT) there’s a pretty big weight discrepancy. The challenger is 610 lbs heavier than the SS, and 480 lbs heavier than the GT.

Also, Hellcat Challengers are around 4,500+ lbs, while the ZL1 is about 3,900 lbs and the GT500 is 4,150 lbs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT
To say that a Challenger handles as well as the newer Mustangs (6th and 7th gen) is hard to comprehend. As I stated in a previous post, the platform is ancient and while it was not terrible, the LX platform was ungainly compared to my '24 Mustang. Crosswinds and standing water are not nearly as problematic, and visibility is far superior. My 2010 5.7 was a fun car, but it did not inspire confidence when maneuvering; it performed like it looked, a brick.

The Batfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Atlas Blue EcoBoost Batstang,06 Ford Ranger
I joined here for the same question.. I am looking at either a 2023 GT Challenger or a 2024 ecoboost with the 101A package and MAYBE the Nite pony but I HATE the black roof (have talked to someone about repainting the roof or just buy the car without nite pony buy some black rims that I actually like and tint the headlights I will debage the car anyways and dont care about other stuff) they are pretty much in the same price range for both cars.. I have test drove both but honestly cant make up mind.. the challenger does seem roomier (Im 53 so getting in and out seems a bit better on the challenger) there are neither of them near me ( I test drove a used 2023 Challenger at my Toyota dealer and a new ecoboost premium at my ford dealer who I am NOT buying from they tried to jab me on price on getting one shipped here) near me so I am having to find either of them like 4hrs away to get ones I want I am going for the Atlas Blue in the Mustang if I go that route... I do like the way the Stang looks over the Challenger for the most part .. I had a 1989 GT back when I was 20 was a great car had it for 7 years.. I dont travel a lot so will be mostly for daily driver around my small town in south Ga.... Both seemed to have plenty of zip ( I have a 68 SS camaro with a 383 stroker in it with 250hp nitros,4.56 rear if I wanna go faster lol and I HATE the new model camaros) I do worry about all the tablet electronics in the mustang being its a NEW thing but thats what warranty is for a guess.. but the total lack of a backseat is crazy.. my 89 at least had a backseat you could shove a 3rd person in lol so now its a coin toss... I was looking around thru the forum for pics of the actual nite pony roof of a car to see how its painted( there are non here in my town to look at) to see if its feasible thing to repaint the roof(Bro has been in paint and body biz for 30+ years but has not seen one either) back blue or better to go the non nite pony route and just get black rims and tint the headlights... decisions decisions..... sorry for the long first post but well lots to try and pick out a new car lol

The Batfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Atlas Blue EcoBoost Batstang,06 Ford Ranger
here are the 2 prices the larger one is my local dealer the other is a dealer about 4hrs away and I will have to go pick it up or have it shipped here..
S650 Mustang Challenger or S650 tville

S650 Mustang Challenger or S650 athens

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
I chose the Challenger 6.4 Widebody with Tremec 6-spd over the S650 or Camaro or C7,8 Vette for following reason(s)…Looks;Nothing has more presence on the road or looks better than a Challenger Widebody ! The 392 Hemi revs and has Torque everywhere and actually has enough tire to actually put the power down where the HC just roasts the tires up to 80 mph…The interior is big and timeless and has good materials if you order the carbon/suede option.The trunk is big.The Tremec is geared short and shifts good as the clutch has a perfect as in smooth biting point.The Scatpack Widebody has stiffer springs up front and bigger swaybars than even the HC that has 200 pounds more over the front and that makes the big Scat so much fun to drive…It rotates into turns like it has rear wheel steering and the Hemi is much more torquey than the LT1 or Coyote which gives you that satisfying low rpm push like surfing a big wave…👍Had Camaros,Vettes and Mustangs before but like the Challenger WB the best ! The skinny tired narrow bodies I would avoid like the plague 🤣

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Rented a Charger for a few weeks and hatted it. Way to big and horrible site lines. Had good performance but not an outstanding experience. When wanting a new car, I wanted a convertible.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
The skinny tired narrow bodies I would avoid like the plague 🤣
with proper camber+toe and 305/30 tires on 10.5" wide the NB can more than hold it's own. Does need actually GOOD aftermarket suspension or the 3-way Bilstein package which almost no NB are ordered with, however.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What most people dont realize is that the Widebody option transformed the Challenger…OK it is still a couple fat guys heavier than gen 6 Camaro or S650 Mustang but on the street this means nothing as the huge wave of Torque in combination with the short gearing with the Tremec 6060 and the fact that it rotates into corners like the rear wheels steer make it so much fun to drive 👍You dont only get the meaty 305 square but also 6 piston Brembos , electronically adjustable Bilstein , stiffer springs and bigger hollow stabilizer bars than even the heavier Hellcat gets…I love this car more than the 19 SS 1LE I had before because on the street it is more fun to drive ! As for the Mustang with the dual exhaust it sounds better on the inside but thats about it because the Coyote lacks Torque and you have to spend DH money in order to get the Tremec…

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
You dont only get the meaty 305 square but also 6 piston Brembos , electronically adjustable Bilstein , stiffer springs and bigger hollow stabilizer bars than even the heavier Hellcat gets
all are available ala carte for the NB except the sways. Except nobody orders them that way. Mine is highly unique for that reason. And I don't have to put up with the stuck-on artificial fenders. :)

It is a damn shame the NB doesn't come with flared arches like one aftermarket guy used to do on the 15-18 HC.

The 1st gear in the Challenger Tremec is entirely too short, however. I'm sure it's great for 60ft times but gets old.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the short gears in the Challenger a lot because you actually get to shift and feel power and TORQUE while you still are at legal speeds…The Camaro and even more the Mustang are too tall geared for my liking which makes them feel less powerful at speeds below 100…IMHO As for the wheel arches I love the Widebody look but the whole package that comes with it transforms the Scatpack 392 6 speed into a true drivers car…👍I was really surprised when I tried it because I thought it was a boat but actually more fun than the SS 1LE I had before…Also more fun than the Mach 1 I tried on the same day…Loved the sound of the Coyote as also the Tremec but missed Torque as also the handling felt like that it was never settled to the point I did not trust it going from under- into oversteer quick…I like predictable cars you can lean on that are playful.The Camaro was predictable but not playful and felt always serious which takes fun away but makes for fast lap times…This matters only to track rats with deep pockets for tire$$$ & brake$$$…

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
What most people dont realize is that the Widebody option transformed the Challenger…OK it is still a couple fat guys heavier than gen 6 Camaro or S650 Mustang
Not really. A Dark Horse is a bit over 4,000 lbs., right? A Scat Pack is 4,300ish? That's only one fat guy heavier. And to have a larger, comfy, practical car that actually has four usable seats is well worth that small trade-off.

I've had a lot of Mustangs and I enjoy the one I've got right now. But I kick myself regularly for selling my Challenger.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear you...I love the looks of my Challenger as much as I love how it drives...The Torque and how it rotates into turns as also the shift feel of the 6060 Tremec... dont think the new 2 door Charger auto only with "BMW" inline-6 is able to replace it ! They still have a few new ones left with prices 2500 off msrp...Last Call - LOL

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
What kind of car are you looking for. A Charger/Challenger is a full sized car that will actually fit a family of 4, even if all 4 are adults or older teenagers. TRY and squeeze a couple of near 6 foot teenage boys in the back of your Mustang. Go ahead, I can use a laugh.

Seriously, they are two different cars. Mustang is a good car for young men just starting out in life with no family and no obligations, or the young couple with young kids. It's also good for the empty nesters (NOTE, not saying anything about mid-life crisis...but I am thinking it...) who are looking for something sporty after being able to dump the practical mini-van/SUV.

The Challenger/Charger can be used by a wider range of folks. At 6'2", I still fit in the back of a Challenger (not the Charger) without having to hunch down. I see it as a competitor to my BMW F10 5 series. Great for a wide range of walks of life, and if you get the right package, downright fun to drive. No, it's not the same, but the question is, does it make you want to grab the key and go for a spin? Can you fit your clubs/guitar/kendo bag in the back/trunk? (Trust me, you want that kendo uniform and bogu in the trunk, NOT the back seat)

For me personally, the Charger/Challenger makes a lot of sense, but as my wife and I never had kids, so does the Mustang. The question when we go shopping is, which is the most fun to drive?
Sponsored

Last edited: