• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Challenger or S650

NS90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GFY
I did a lot of testing and development on cats back in the day before they launched, both charger and challenger models, they ride like boats to Ace's point. Mustangs are a more enjoyable experience.
Sponsored

Adeel3466

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT NP/PP
My dad owns 2008 first edition challenger SRT8 with less than 7k miles on it. That was that car that got me to muscle tbh prob would have gotten a scat pack charger if it wasnā€™t for the outdated interior. Still think the challenger is the most muscle looking car out there but definitely get the point of it being a boat itā€™s a huge car and you feel every bit of it hoping the mustang will be a lot more manageable especially being my daily

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
Mustang! I have owned at least one Mustang since 1987, sometimes two or three at a time.

A friend had a 2012 that he played with boosting the HP a bit, it was pretty fast in a straight line, but not so much in the handling. We had fun with messing with each other, him in his Challenger and me in my 2006 Mustang GT. I drove his Challenger a few times, it was fun but love my Mustang much more.

Then when mine was in the shop after being side-swiped, I had a 2015 Mustang coupe V6 as a rental. It would drive him crazy that that V6 could out accelerate him in the first few hundred yards, then he would get me. It was a nice car but, I was still having too much fun with my '06 to go newer.

Only now with the Dark Horse have I decided to upgrade.

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT
The Challenger is the most "retro" in terms of looks and bulk, that is for sure, which is why I got one once upon a time. Too bad Stellantis couldn't keep up with the times; a 9/10ths scale version with a hybrid electric AWD and massive tires keeping the OG looks would be tempting, but the bean-counters in corporate would axe any new development in that arena to meet CAFE standards and hold down RSD costs. There's an electric Charger in the works that sounds like a Jetsonsmobile, so there's that...

I don't have problem with electric cars, but most look plain and have no character; car companies are going to have to step up to get these rides to be attractive esthetically and economically if they have any hope of drawing muscle car fans to the dark side, so to speak.

69machI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '19 Taurus, '24 Mustang GT
Actually drove a Scat Pack a couple of weeks ago....I was impressed how easy it was to enter and exit the vehicle and felt decently roomy inside. (something to consider when you're 50+). Mustang should be delivered in the next two or three weeks; if it's not as comfortable as the Challenger, I'll probably not buy it and go with the Scat Pack.

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
Actually drove a Scat Pack a couple of weeks ago....I was impressed how easy it was to enter and exit the vehicle and felt decently roomy inside. (something to consider when you're 50+). Mustang should be delivered in the next two or three weeks; if it's not as comfortable as the Challenger, I'll probably not buy it and go with the Scat Pack.
I'd agree with you there, the Challenger has much better entry/exit ergonomics, and more interior space. But when I drove one, it was more like driving my truck, more upright and more distance to the steering wheel.

I feel you about the importance of the ergonomics as I get older (60+).

That said, Ford has made much of the "Raised roofline for better entry/exit and oh yeah, a racing helmet."

I'll believe it when I get in one the first time.

FredBGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Corvette
I had a 2010 R/T and it was a hot car for where I live when I got it. Wanted SRT8 but couldn't find one. In 2014 my father bought a new GT. The GT was quicker and the 5.0 was better than the Hemi in every way. Both autos but the GT's transmission shifted quicker and harder. Hope the 10 speed is as good. The R/T was heavier and felt it. Challenger very comfortable and rode very well. Cylinder deactivation on the R/T, the vibrations and noise were so bad I bought a tuner and turned that off.

MaxxRPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 GT
Short answer, Challengers cost more.

........The Mustang is faster (than the Scat) but Challenger is probably a little nicer looking to us older guys who have fond memories of the original. They're also roomier and ride nicer.

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT
I'll give the Challenger this, the Hemi was sedate at lower RPMs, but once you got above 3500, it would get angry, and in a good way.

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0
The challenger just isn't a good looking car. Especially the side and rear 3/4s view. The proportions are all off. If your design has crappy proportions, then nice headlights or wheels won't suddenly make it a good looking car.

Look at how awkward, clunky, and ungainly the challenger looks compared to the s650 here.

dims (2).jpeg

side-768x432.jpg
I agree. The Challenger looks best from the front and front 1/4 view. Side view is OK but the dash to axle ratio isnā€™t quite long enough. The A pillar and windshield need to be slightly further back. The side view is too bulky in the rear quarter panels. And from straight on rear view itā€™s too big and tall. The front end is very muscle car, though.
S650 Mustang Challenger or S650 IMG_5507
S650 Mustang Challenger or S650 IMG_5504
S650 Mustang Challenger or S650 IMG_5505
S650 Mustang Challenger or S650 IMG_5506

Last edited:

Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP
I don't have problem with electric cars, but most look plain and have no character; car companies are going to have to step up to get these rides to be attractive esthetically and economically if they have any hope of drawing muscle car fans to the dark side, so to speak.
I wish this was the case. Most likely they will simply guilt trip companies with arbitrary carbon metrics and legislate them into oblivion to force EV adoption. People will not have a say in it unless people actually refuse to buy. Problem is, they will be convenient and subsidized so people will do it anyway.

There was an interview with Koeniggsegg, Rimac and a couple others where they very much see the global future of cars being that gas powered cars are going to be used as toys on weekends using synthetic fossil fuels (like buying dedicated race fuel or something from specialty MFGs), and EVs will be mandated as daily drivers.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I'm in the same boat :like:, literally. So I'm 63 and 6"1" tall. I've had muscle cars most of my life and love to wrench on them. Currently I'm driving an 03 GT Vert auto and with some basic mods, 3.73 gears subframes, strut tower brace, cobra brakes and mild tune, it has been extremely reliable for me over my 220,000 miles. Only item that failed outright was the fan and a coil pack or 2. Other than that basic PM with synthetic oil and a Motorcraft filter. So, I'm looking to replace and like many here I'm looking Mustang 650, Camaro 1SS, Challenger Scat Pack R/T.. Also considered a GTI Type R (I owned the first 83 GTI, wonderful car) and the Nissan Z (good luck getting one!!). So after driving the 3, the Camaro for a tall guy like me, was like looking out of the turret on a tank. Zero visibility to the point at least for me, it seemed dangerous to park the car. Challenger, like others have noted, is very, very comfortable and does wake up when given the chance. It is a boat though and I like a little corner carving now and then so it's out... Sooooo, looks like I'm ordering a 2024 Mustang GT with the 401a, automatic (wife has to drive too), B&O sound and possibly the "Nite Pony" Package.. I am eligible for an X-Plan but not sure if that is the way to go.. Any advice is appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F250 Super Duty SOLD
S650 Mustang Challenger or S650 DSC01254
S650 Mustang Challenger or S650 DSC01265

I bought my 2022 392 over a mustang for a couple reasons but the main one was because dodge actually offers a decent manual transmission under 60 grand. I agree that the challenger isnā€™t as good looking from the side as a mustang but the back is a toss up and the front is the most unique and best looking of any modern domestic offering imo. Also having driven multiple s550 5.0s the challenger may not handle as well but it has better feedback to the driver than the mustangs I have driven. Driving a mustang is just a completely different experience, I enjoy both but Iā€™m a muscle car guy and the challenger is the only car that feels like one.

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I'm in the same boat :like:, literally. So I'm 63 and 6"1" tall. I've had muscle cars most of my life and love to wrench on them. Currently I'm driving an 03 GT Vert auto and with some basic mods, 3.73 gears subframes, strut tower brace, cobra brakes and mild tune, it has been extremely reliable for me over my 220,000 miles. Only item that failed outright was the fan and a coil pack or 2. Other than that basic PM with synthetic oil and a Motorcraft filter. So, I'm looking to replace and like many here I'm looking Mustang 650, Camaro 1SS, Challenger Scat Pack R/T.. Also considered a GTI Type R (I owned the first 83 GTI, wonderful car) and the Nissan Z (good luck getting one!!). So after driving the 3, the Camaro for a tall guy like me, was like looking out of the turret on a tank. Zero visibility to the point at least for me, it seemed dangerous to park the car. Challenger, like others have noted, is very, very comfortable and does wake up when given the chance. It is a boat though and I like a little corner carving now and then so it's out... Sooooo, looks like I'm ordering a 2024 Mustang GT with the 401a, automatic (wife has to drive too), B&O sound and possibly the "Nite Pony" Package.. I am eligible for an X-Plan but not sure if that is the way to go.. Any advice is appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Two things:

X-plan is the way to go and you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal on the first model year cars unless you had a different Ford plan for employees.

Second, nothing against you, but the "wife has to drive it" excuse is extremely lame. Teach her how to drive it! Would be a great experience for the both of you to have some fun. If she doesn't want to learn, oh well, she can walk šŸ˜‚

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Two things:

X-plan is the way to go and you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal on the first model year cars unless you had a different Ford plan for employees.

Second, nothing against you, but the "wife has to drive it" excuse is extremely lame. Teach her how to drive it! Would be a great experience for the both of you to have some fun. If she doesn't want to learn, oh well, she can walk šŸ˜‚
Hey UnfairSlide !!! Thanks for the advice!! As for driving a stick, I tried that with my wife back in 1984 or so with my GTI.... Let's just say I almost flew out the sunroof !!! Hahaha!! She has her own family hauler a Chrysler T&C, don't ask as it's a POS, so she only drives my car in an emergency... So my local dealer who is also a Roush dealer says X-Plan is no problem so I'm going to spec one out and present to them.... Any other options worth getting? I'm not a drag/racing person. I just like to drive... TIA !!
Sponsored