• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Car's first hiccup: POWERTRAIN MALFUCTION/REDUCED POWER

Rip Actual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Dodge Challenger
It was nothing car was running perfect and then I got hit with 2 alerts and service vehicle soon.

Powertrain control system has detected one of the transmission cluthes did not apply within the expected time.

Powertrain control system has detected one of the transmission shift solenoids is not responding.

I was driving and the car would no longer go into gear.
Sponsored

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
It was nothing car was running perfect and then I got hit with 2 alerts and service vehicle soon.

Powertrain control system has detected one of the transmission cluthes did not apply within the expected time.

Powertrain control system has detected one of the transmission shift solenoids is not responding.

I was driving and the car would no longer go into gear.
Wow that's crazy but I guess bad things happen sometimes. Hopefully the new transmission is great and doesn't cause you any other issues.

Rip Actual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Dodge Challenger
I should be picking my car up today with the new trans and will report back. I am hoping this thing has been causing me stress now if I can get a dealership to fix the paint issue I am having on my rear bumper the car will be perfect for me

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Mine spewed out alerts, as well, and even got to a point of not starting. Long story short.. ABS module supposedly needed updating. Dealer performed it and I haven't seen the issue since.
I have a Mongoose Plus J2534 VIC that I bought to perform FDRS updates on my F150. I might bust it out, pay the $50 for a 2-day subscription and see if there are any outstanding module updates for my 12 day old Mustang.

Now that I have an F150 and a Mustang, I can leverage that FDRS subscription for both. :)

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
Not to sound like an idiot but when you say you disconnected the battery are you talking about disconnecting both terminal connections? Just making sure I have this down in case my Mustang does this after I get it.
Just the positive connection (the red one) disconnect that for a minute or two that'll cut all power to the car including its standby systems, that will force the car to completely reboot and wipe any non-stored codes. It'll also reset your dash layout to factory so don't forget to save your MyKey to the car beforehand.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Just the positive connection (the red one) disconnect that for a minute or two that'll cut all power to the car including its standby systems, that will force the car to completely reboot and wipe any non-stored codes. It'll also reset your dash layout to factory so don't forget to save your MyKey to the car beforehand.
Very good info and appreciate the reply. I'm glad I asked the question:)

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Just the positive connection (the red one) disconnect that for a minute or two…
Why positive? I’ve always heard negative first [off] negative last [on]

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Always remove the NEGATIVE terminal first (and put it on last). If you remove the positive first, it can spark if there's a short somewhere. That spark can be an ignition source for flammable gases in the engine compartment.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Always remove the NEGATIVE terminal first (and put it on last). If you remove the positive first, it can spark if there's a short somewhere. That spark can be an ignition source for flammable gases in the engine compartment.
See I've always heard it the other way around, if there's a short and the ground isn't attached it could fuck up the system.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Like the others said, do the negative one, black, instead, same outcome.
OK so we only to disconnect the negative terminal and it will reset everything without having to unhook the positive one too? Just making sure I have this correct, lol.

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
OK so we only to disconnect the negative terminal and it will reset everything without having to unhook the positive one too? Just making sure I have this correct, lol.
Is this another low battery issue?

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, when the battery disconnects it will stop providing power to the car causing it to drop all non-long term storage items. Hard codes like serious engine faults or stuff like magneride if you have it get stored so will persist through it though.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Is this another low battery issue?
Yeah sounds like the codes that get spit out when a low battery issue manifests itself. I was just inquiring about unhooking the battery and letting it sit for a few minutes. It sounds like this will at least clear the codes and allow you to start the car again. I'm just trying to gain some knowledge here in case this happens to me as I don't want to get stranded or call for a tow:)

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
Yeah sounds like the codes that get spit out when a low battery issue manifests itself. I was just inquiring about unhooking the battery and letting it sit for a few minutes. It sounds like this will at least clear the codes and allow you to start the car again. I'm just trying to gain some knowledge here in case this happens to me as I don't want to get stranded or call for a tow:)
Get a good battery tender and FULLY charge the battery. This is what I plan to use as soon as I pick my car up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W8KJH44?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Sponsored