• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Multiple Issues: Powertrain Fault, Engine Stall, Low Battery Charge

Mr Rots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Just over a month ago, I bought a Dark Horse (with the 10-speed automatic). About two weeks ago, I started getting "service engine soon" notifications on the console and powertrain fault errors in the Ford Pass app. Yesterday, while driving in stop-and-go traffic, I had the engine stall for several seconds, then come back, then stall, and so on, until I pulled over and restarted the car. Today, I had the battery and alternator checked; the alternator is fine, but the battery is at 50% charge. Anyone have any idea what might be causing these things? The car currently has around 890 miles on it and has not been driven hard (yet).

[Update] I know you're all anxiously awaiting further news on this. I've taken the car for several 30-60 minute drives, over the last week, and decided to check the battery when I got back from one, this morning. The battery is now at 85%. I took it back out, to see if I could again recreate the powertrain fault or the stalling, but was unable to do so. Now I need to see if the battery will hold the charge or needs to be replaced.
Sponsored

Last edited:

KeanuFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse *orderd*
I would return it. Sounds like you got a bad build. ECU probably shot

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 EcoBoost Rapid Red
Very symptomatic of a bad battery. If you have been driving much, then 50% battery charge is low. I would put it on a battery charger (or have your dealer do it) and then test it. A number of cars with problems similar to yours have been fixed with a battery replacement.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I would have the battery checked, all sorts of issues pop up when they get to a low voltage.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Batteries have been failing on newly shipped cars. You have enough miles on the car to fully charge it with normal driving and if the alternator wasn't working, the battery would have been dead a long time ago. It sounds like something isn't powering off or more likely, you are dealing with a battery failure. The battery can be fully charged and load checked to determine the capacity of the battery. It's a fairly simple test but may take a little time. Looking for something not powering off is a little more difficult unless you get lucky and spot something working when the car should be powered off. If your dealer has a good service shop, that would probably be where you want to go.

OP
OP
Mr Rots

Mr Rots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I’ve made an appointment for early January. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
An AGM battery charges much faster the conventional flooded type. One shouldn't need to drive many miles for it to be topped off. With the number of Mustangs being built I would think there will be some battery failures. AGM batteries have to be completely sealed or they will fail.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Batteries a big issue lately with newer vehicles.

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Only holding 50% charge sounds like the battery maybe sulfated, would make sense because of how long the first round of cars sat without being charged.
I am going to put mine on my maintainer and run it through a couple desulfator cycles. I have rescued countless batteries that would otherwise be coincided dead. Just a thought, I try to keep my vehicles away from dealership service departments as much as possible

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Batteries have been failing on newly shipped cars. You have enough miles on the car to fully charge it with normal driving and if the alternator wasn't working, the battery would have been dead a long time ago. It sounds like something isn't powering off or more likely, you are dealing with a battery failure. The battery can be fully charged and load checked to determine the capacity of the battery. It's a fairly simple test but may take a little time. Looking for something not powering off is a little more difficult unless you get lucky and spot something working when the car should be powered off. If your dealer has a good service shop, that would probably be where you want to go.
Agreed, alternator probably fine. This car probably has a lot of draw, that on a weak battery could resemble a parasitic drain.

2024S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
Do you get notices from Fordpass about Battery Conservation Mode or something similar?

Is the vehicle kept unlocked inside a garage?

OP
OP
Mr Rots

Mr Rots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Do you get notices from Fordpass about Battery Conservation Mode or something similar?

Is the vehicle kept unlocked inside a garage?
I haven’t received any notices in the app, other than the two about the powertrain faults. The car is currently parked outside.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Only holding 50% charge sounds like the battery maybe sulfated, would make sense because of how long the first round of cars sat without being charged.
I am going to put mine on my maintainer and run it through a couple desulfator cycles. I have rescued countless batteries that would otherwise be coincided dead. Just a thought, I try to keep my vehicles away from dealership service departments as much as possible
I have had batteries that were sulfated to the point they wouldn't take a charge. If they are at that point, the de sulfate cycle will take it to the point where it will take a charge. Then I start the charge cycle and the charge is pretty slow as the battery starts to accepts a charge. After some time the charge rate will go up. Because the high voltages used in the de sulfate cycle, you need to disconnect the battery and I reserve that process only for really dead batteries.
My mustang had about an hour drive home and the day after I got it home, it took a slow 5 hour charge to get it topped off. I am pretty sure it was a little sulfated but a long slow charge was able to reverse it.
Sponsored