• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Multiple Issues: Powertrain Fault, Engine Stall, Low Battery Charge

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I have had batteries that were sulfated to the point they wouldn't take a charge. If they are at that point, the de sulfate cycle will take it to the point where it will take a charge. Then I start the charge cycle and the charge is pretty slow as the battery starts to accepts a charge. After some time the charge rate will go up. Because the high voltages used in the de sulfate cycle, you need to disconnect the battery and I reserve that process only for really dead batteries.
My mustang had about an hour drive home and the day after I got it home, it took a slow 5 hour charge to get it topped off. I am pretty sure it was a little sulfated but a long slow charge was able to reverse it.
Exactly, these are new batteries so they would not be too bad, and yes a slow trickle charge after de sulfate should make it good as new.
Sponsored

jimgt2k24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 silver GT 401A, auto, act exh, perf pkg, nite
Does locked or unlocked make a difference?

Do you get notices from Fordpass about Battery Conservation Mode or something similar?

Is the vehicle kept unlocked inside a garage?

2024S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
Does locked or unlocked make a difference?
If you leave a car unlocked and in range of your fob it will continuously make communications contact and eventually put the car in conservation mode for lack of a better word. You will get a notification via Fordpass when this happens.

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Grabber Blue, 2007 Mustang
I can tell you that our dealership, we've had plenty of AGM battery issues. I know of three 24 mustangs in the last couple of months that we've had to put batteries in at very little mileage. With other vehicles like an F-150 usually the first symptom is the Auto stop start feature quits working or you get warning messages. The dealer can pull your van up on Oasis and look at connected vehicle status and it will tell what codes were set on what day for the last 60 days. I had a power steering fault message on my own at 200 miles and had a you code which is a generic body current issue I think it may have had to do because I had the doors open and then car switched on the day before for something in it pulled it down just a little. Agms are way more sensitive than a traditional battery.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I had to replace the battery on my GT within the first 1,000 miles. The original one wouldn't hold a charge, and was causing all kinds of notifications (like the power train fault) and my screens kept changing on me.

OP
OP
Mr Rots

Mr Rots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
I had to replace the battery on my GT within the first 1,000 miles. The original one wouldn't hold a charge, and was causing all kinds of notifications (like the power train fault) and my screens kept changing on me.
Iā€™ve also been having screen issues, with the right going dark or freezing. Iā€™m hoping the service department swaps the battery when I take it in, in January. They seem to think itā€™s mechanical, but everything I have read points to the battery. Halfway tempted to replace the battery myself and see if that fixes things.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Agree with others it is most likely the battery. The 24s have been having several with faulty ones. When the voltage is even just a bit off, weird things happen, in modern cars especially.

Being a brand-new car and the issues we have seen, I'd pause on taking any action yourself. Electronics are sensitive for sure, but more so to ensure the dealer does not mis-interpret anything, potentially setting up a warranty discussion which wouldn't happen otherwise.

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Just over a month ago, I bought a Dark Horse (with the 10-speed automatic). About two weeks ago, I started getting "service engine soon" notifications on the console and powertrain fault errors in the Ford Pass app. Yesterday, while driving in stop-and-go traffic, I had the engine stall for several seconds, then come back, then stall, and so on, until I pulled over and restarted the car. Today, I had the battery and alternator checked; the alternator is fine, but the battery is at 50% charge. Anyone have any idea what might be causing these things? The car currently has around 890 miles on it and has not been driven hard (yet).
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Agms are way more sensitive than a traditional battery.
Agms aren't sensitive. The problem is they are designed to pack more power in a smaller space and to accomplish this, the connections inside the battery might not be as heavy. Also because they don't have room for extra acid, the plate material is probably made from pure lead which is pretty soft. Older batteries used alloys for the plates which added strength but caused the batteries to self discharge which intern caused the batteries to lose more water shorting their life. Agms can be a very good battery if properly used but they aren't as rugged as older designs.

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Grabber Blue, 2007 Mustang
Maybe sensitive is the wrong word, but the last 5 years on the service drive they are more problematic. I understand why we use them though.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
Very symptomatic of a bad battery. If you have been driving much, then 50% battery charge is low. I would put it on a battery charger (or have your dealer do it) and then test it. A number of cars with problems similar to yours have been fixed with a battery replacement.
Does anyone know where the Batteries are being made?
It appears that too many Batteries are either made to fail or the New Mustang sits way too long before being shipped.
Just seems odd to me.
Sponsored