• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Car's first hiccup: POWERTRAIN MALFUCTION/REDUCED POWER

Supra Killer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion, '24 Mustang GT
I go to start up the car today, and immediately after starting it, It delivers its first failure. Took to the dealership and the service department just closed. So they gave me a loaner ('24 Mustang Ecoboost) and said they would take a look at it Monday and give me a heads up. Didn't even get 164 miles on it yet.

S650 Mustang Car's first hiccup: POWERTRAIN MALFUCTION/REDUCED POWER 20231014_154601
S650 Mustang Car's first hiccup: POWERTRAIN MALFUCTION/REDUCED POWER Screenshot_20231014-154732_FordPass
Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
This seems to happen to a lot of us. Mine did it the first week as well. It turned out to be the battery not holding a charge

OP
OP
Supra Killer

Supra Killer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This seems to happen to a lot of us. Mine did it the first week as well. It turned out to be the battery not holding a charge
Thanks for your input, hopefully something trivial like that is true for me also. Did FordPass app give you the same failure?

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Yes, the Ford Pass App gave me an alert on it as well.

Hoofprint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Convertible
Happened to me twice. I turned off and on a few times and didn’t go away until I open and shut the fuel door.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Happened to me twice. I turned off and on a few times and didn’t go away until I open and shut the fuel door.
While acknowledging not optimal, my morning imagination had me picturing a game of hide-and-seek, checking all doors and latches, quick open and close., whoosh there went the gremlin.

Hopefully it turns out to be a low charge on the battery.

Mustang6924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang Coupe GT, 2024 Mustang GT Premium
So OP what did your dealership say? Same thing happened to me yesterday, I was going around 110 and the car just went limp. All driver assist features stopped, exhaust went into quiet, and I got the powertrain failure msg. Pulled over, and turned the car off and on, and everything went back to normal.

5.DREW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse Premium
I have a similar issue, was driving to the dealership to get the shredded up trofeos replaced and every single light on the dash came on, abs error, stability issue, can’t change drive modes, hill start and pre collision errors, the works
S650 Mustang Car's first hiccup: POWERTRAIN MALFUCTION/REDUCED POWER IMG_0116
S650 Mustang Car's first hiccup: POWERTRAIN MALFUCTION/REDUCED POWER IMG_0116
S650 Mustang Car's first hiccup: POWERTRAIN MALFUCTION/REDUCED POWER IMG_0115

Mustang6924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a similar issue, was driving to the dealership to get the shredded up trofeos replaced and every single light on the dash came on, abs error, stability issue, can’t change drive modes, hill start and pre collision errors, the works
IMG_0116.png
IMG_0116.png
IMG_0115.png
Some community members having been stating this happens due to the battery, can this really be the case though? I was around 40 mins into my drive, and when this happened I was shifting pretty aggressively. So I guess it could be a bad/loose cell in the battery causing this. This can be very dangerous as when this happened my car dropped from 110 to 60. Hope Ford actually comes up with a solution other than saying to charge the battery.

RadBadChad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang V6, 24 GT
So has this pretty much only happened when the car is in the break in period? Has anyone had this happen past 500 or 1000 miles on the odometer?

5.DREW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So has this pretty much only happened when the car is in the break in period? Has anyone had this happen past 500 or 1000 miles on the odometer?
My issue happened to the dark horse at about 1900 miles

Mustang6924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My car's at 4000 miles, and happened to for the first time yesterday. So does not seem to be a break in related issue.

OP
OP
Supra Killer

Supra Killer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So OP what did your dealership say? Same thing happened to me yesterday, I was going around 110 and the car just went limp. All driver assist features stopped, exhaust went into quiet, and I got the powertrain failure msg. Pulled over, and turned the car off and on, and everything went back to normal.
I brought it there and left it for a few days. They told me they thought that the battery was triggering the issue and didn't really know for sure where exactly the fault code was from. They made it sound like they had fixed it, but honestly, I think the code just eventually went away one day. I've been driving it since and no issues so far.

Forde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I had the same issue pop up around 800 miles on mine. A day later it resolved itself and I can't get it to pop up. Its been fine for about a week with nothing new. Curious to see if it will come back.

5.DREW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some community members having been stating this happens due to the battery, can this really be the case though? I was around 40 mins into my drive, and when this happened I was shifting pretty aggressively. So I guess it could be a bad/loose cell in the battery causing this. This can be very dangerous as when this happened my car dropped from 110 to 60. Hope Ford actually comes up with a solution other than saying to charge the battery.
Hmm I’ve heard that too, although my cars gauge says the battery voltage is at anywhere from 14 to 15 when the car is running/driving, I don’t know how accurate the gauge in the car is but who knows, I had the notorious trofeo rs issue where giant chunks of rubber come off the tire and as I was driving to the dealer all those lights went on, anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored