• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone Else Amazed at the 10R80 in the S650 vs S550?

Matts2024GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Vapor Blue
Due to gear grinding issues, I recently traded in my craptacular MT-82 equipped 2023 GT for a 2024 GT auto with perf pack. I like to row the gears but not when they grind. My 2024 auto transmission shifts perfectly. I'm very Happy with this set up, I only wish Ford would address their MT-82 issues.
Sponsored

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
This is my first 10 speed but I'm soooo impressed with how it shifts. In normal mode, you legit cannot feel the shifts. It's so smooth and so nice to drive casually.
In sport, it's definitely more aggressive and the downshifts can be felt for sure when braking. What's most impressive though is how fast the response is to the paddles being pressed in sport. It seriously acts like a dual clutch with the smoothness of a torque converter. I'm super impressed all the way around

Matts2024GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Vapor Blue
This is my first 10 speed but I'm soooo impressed with how it shifts. In normal mode, you legit cannot feel the shifts. It's so smooth and so nice to drive casually.
In sport, it's definitely more aggressive and the downshifts can be felt for sure when braking. What's most impressive though is how fast the response is to the paddles being pressed in sport. It seriously acts like a dual clutch with the smoothness of a torque converter. I'm super impressed all the way around
Yes, it's impressive for a slush box transmission for sure.

OP
OP
krisk

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
Update: Iā€™m at 4,100 miles now, and I continue to be amazed with this 10R80. It doesnā€™t hunt gears and seems to do just what I want as far as holding a gear versus shifting. My S550 10 speed was good, but this new one is night and day better. I like it better the more I drive it. Overall Iā€™m loving the S650!

Killshot58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Premium GT, Vapor Blue, Nite Pony Pkg
I kind of regret not getting the manual transmission, but the A10 seems to be pretty good. I don't have anything to compare it to, though. My other car is a 2008 GT manual.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
yesterday i drove in normal mode with the quiet exhaust and calm gauge cluster, it was so tame and feels like it'll be fantastic for road trips like that. the shifts were so smooth

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See signature
Iā€™m glad I came across this thread. Iā€™m thinking of getting a mustang again. My ā€˜16 was a manual and I liked it. I travel for work a lot and have had several rental automatic S550s both ecoboost and GT and every single one has had a transmission that was so bad it felt broken. The 10 speed in my LC is amazing and if the updated 10R80 is even close to that, maybe itā€™s time to go give one a test drive.

OP
OP
krisk

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
Iā€™m glad I came across this thread. Iā€™m thinking of getting a mustang again. My ā€˜16 was a manual and I liked it. I travel for work a lot and have had several rental automatic S550s both ecoboost and GT and every single one has had a transmission that was so bad it felt broken. The 10 speed in my LC is amazing and if the updated 10R80 is even close to that, maybe itā€™s time to go give one a test drive.
Iā€™ve only driven one S550 and that was my 2019 GT. I wouldnā€™t have described the 10R80 in it as feeling broken, or even bad; it just felt like it was not as responsive or smooth as I would have liked, and its gear choice wasnā€™t always what I thought best. I always drove it in sport mode so it would downshift when I stepped on the gas rather than waiting a few seconds. I didnā€™t mind the auto in it, and I even thought it was pretty good at the time in comparison to a lot of vehicles.

Then I got my 24, and it truly amazes me how good it is. I drive in normal mode 99% of the time because it still responds quickly, but the shifts are very smooth.

Everyone has different opinions on cars based on how they drive and what they expect, so I recommend test driving an S650 to see what you think. One thing I did notice is my 24 was good from the day I picked it up with under 10 miles on the odometer. My S550 got better over the first several hundred miles as it ā€œlearnedā€. Not sure if the S650 doesnā€™t have to go through that learning process, but it sure seemed good to me immediately.

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See signature
I think one of the big issues with the S550 rentals was the learning software of the transmission. It can't adapt to a driving style if every 50 miles you get a new driver. The last one I had was really jerky so I followed instructions from a post on Mustang6G to reset the TCM and wipe the adaptive software memory and it helped a lot. Hopefully Ford learned how to fix that with this gen.
Sponsored