• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone Else Amazed at the 10R80 in the S650 vs S550?

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
I've now had my 2024 GT Premium PP A10 for about six weeks and 2,100 miles. I am very impressed with the S650 versus the S550 I previously had (also an A10 PP). There really isn't anything in the S550 that I preferred over the new model. However, I must say I am most amazed at the difference in the transmission on my 2024 versus the 2019 I had previously. My S550 transmission wasn't bad by any means, but driving the S650 is significantly better. In my S550 I drove 100% of the time in Sport+ mode because I didn't like the way/when it shifted (or more often didn't shift) in Normal mode. In my S650 I'm driving most of the time in Normal because of how smooth it shifts whether driving it easy or pushing it and it seems to always be in the right gear for how I'm driving. I understand it is mechanically the same transmission as the S650, but it definitely has different programming.

I've heard comments in review videos about how smooth it shifts, but to me it's as much about when it shifts and how it holds the gears as it is about anything else. Sport mode is great if wanting to rev higher, hold the gears longer, and downshift quicker, but I don't feel like I have to drive it in Sport all the time like I did my S550.

Is everyone else having the same experience with the A10 in the S650 versus the S550?
Sponsored

2024S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
I keep hearing the same thing and hope Ford does a TSB to fix whatever they have done with the S550 programming.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1; AT; M0960
Ford should flash S550s with this new programming...they didn't change it mechanically at all. Compared to the Camaro, it was sloppy programming and if they fixed it, they should make it available on the S550.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
my experience has been really good with the 10R80 too, except for downshifting to 2nd with the paddles. it's sometimes delayed and harsh. weirdly, my Mach 1 used to have the same issue, but my EcoBoost never did

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
Sport mode in the M position is fucking amazing. It shifts way above my expectations, I honestly didn't think the 10R80 could shift like this.

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2020 Mustang GT Premium c
I've now had my 2024 GT Premium PP A10 for about six weeks and 2,100 miles. I am very impressed with the S650 versus the S550 I previously had (also an A10 PP). There really isn't anything in the S550 that I preferred over the new model. However, I must say I am most amazed at the difference in the transmission on my 2024 versus the 2019 I had previously. My S550 transmission wasn't bad by any means, but driving the S650 is significantly better. In my S550 I drove 100% of the time in Sport+ mode because I didn't like the way/when it shifted (or more often didn't shift) in Normal mode. In my S650 I'm driving most of the time in Normal because of how smooth it shifts whether driving it easy or pushing it and it seems to always be in the right gear for how I'm driving. I understand it is mechanically the same transmission as the S650, but it definitely has different programming.

I've heard comments in review videos about how smooth it shifts, but to me it's as much about when it shifts and how it holds the gears as it is about anything else. Sport mode is great if wanting to rev higher, hold the gears longer, and downshift quicker, but I don't feel like I have to drive it in Sport all the time like I did my S550.

Is everyone else having the same experience with the A10 in the S650 versus the S550?
Itā€™s just the opposite for me, but I only have 900 miles on the car. I preferred the hard snappy shifts of my 18 GT PP. It just spit gears WoT and the downshifts in S was freaking amazingly aggressive. This new one is butter soft and smooth. Admittedly, I havenā€™t really driven the car hard yet either. I like the overall comfort and new features of the car but my 18 seems to be much quicker. Just my two cents.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
my experience has been really good with the 10R80 too, except for downshifting to 2nd with the paddles. it's sometimes delayed and harsh. weirdly, my Mach 1 used to have the same issue, but my EcoBoost never did
Yep, same on my s550 as well. Which is why the shift from 2 to 1 always impressed me with how smooth it was after that 3 to 2 jolt.

OP
OP
krisk

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s just the opposite for me, but I only have 900 miles on the car. I preferred the hard snappy shifts of my 18 GT PP. It just spit gears WoT and the downshifts in S was freaking amazingly aggressive. This new one is butter soft and smooth. Admittedly, I havenā€™t really driven the car hard yet either. I like the overall comfort and new features of the car but my 18 seems to be much quicker. Just my two cents.
My S650 seems to shift at least as fast as my S550, and it is a quick shift even in Normal mode. The difference for me is how smooth it is in normal. Itā€™s faster to respond to throttle inputs in all modes than my S550 as well. There is absolutely no loss in speed in the shifts in any mode for me in the new car. I really noticed the difference after I got out of the break in period and started pushing the car. Itā€™s not that there was any change in the car after break in; I was just driving it very easy for the first 1,000 miles.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
900 miles.. start hammering it a little. It will come around.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The 24' 10R80 is absolutely better than my 18 GT was with it. Even after Lund tuning.

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My S650 seems to shift at least as fast as my S550, and it is a quick shift even in Normal mode. The difference for me is how smooth it is in normal. Itā€™s faster to respond to throttle inputs in all modes than my S550 as well. There is absolutely no loss in speed in the shifts in any mode for me in the new car. I really noticed the difference after I got out of the break in period and started pushing the car. Itā€™s not that there was any change in the car after break in; I was just driving it very easy for the first 1,000 miles.
Yeah, thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been doing. I hope it comes around. Iā€™ll hit 1000 by the weekend, Iā€™ll start pushing it more.

Kraus143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The 2024 10r80 is light years better than my 2018gtā€”no more clunk when I put it from park to drive. The funny thing is I keep expecting it. I almost have PTSD from it, apparently. The shifting is so smooth in comparison. I find it hard to believe mechanically this is the same transmission because it feels completely different and so much better.

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2024 10r80 is light years better than my 2018gtā€”no more clunk when I put it from park to drive. The funny thing is I keep expecting it. I almost have PTSD from it, apparently. The shifting is so smooth in comparison. I find it hard to believe mechanically this is the same transmission because it feels completely different and so much better.
I had the same clunk in one of my 18ā€™s as well. They kept flashing the transmission but it would always come back. They ended up replacing the valve body, that solved the issue. Even that one didnā€™t shift as nice and firm as my 18 PP. As others have commented, maybe the 24 will feel better when I start getting into it. Between my 18, 20 and 24, the 18 is still my favorite.

OP
OP
krisk

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree on being hard to believe this is the exact same transmission mechanically. It seems if they have done this good on the programming for the S650, then they would offer it as an update for the S550. I guess maybe they will in the future offer an update for the S550 with the newer programming. I really liked the way my S550 drove overall, but I absolutely love the way the S650 drives.
Sponsored