• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

10R80 Whine

Dave_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse (HP)
This is my first Mustang, coming from a 2018 F-150 with the 10R80.

I have the auto Dark Horse. I've read about the whining noise some people get and know it's the straight cut pump gears which Ford call a "characteristic", but I'm getting it pretty darn bad, on overrun especially. The F-150 was silent but this is really loud!

Just over 1000 miles and it's been there from the start, not got any worse. Every time the car's pushed hard it just appears until it's switched off and cooled down.

Crappy vids sorry but I just told my son to try and capture the sound!

No issues other than the noise but I just can't help feeling it can't be 'normal'. Anyone want to listen and set my mind at ease?

:crackup:

Sponsored

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
That’s the too slow need more go motivation instigator.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
What gear is that?
Honestly pretty hard to hear the wine. Go faster or stop engine braking like that in 1-2 gear if it bothers you. I bet over 20mph you can't hear it and you can never hear it on accelration over 5mph

OP
OP
Dave_E

Dave_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wasn't engine braking or paddle shifting - that was just Sport mode doing it's thing.

Guessing probably 3rd or 4th at that speed... wasn't watching. It's obviously much louder in real life than the camera picks up. It's not that it bothers me, I mean I'd rather it wasn't there... but I was just worried something might be wrong with it.

Under hard acceleration I agree you can't hear it because of the exhaust, but light to moderate acceleration or just holding speed on back streets and it's extremely noticeable in any of the gears. Legit sounds like a straight cut gearbox whirring away. I'll let the dealer listen to it, was only asking for opinions!

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I am starting to wonder about this. My 96 mustang differential wasn't properly aligned at the factory and it really would sing. It took a while to figure out where it was because the sound made me think it could be the transmission. It would sing under load but not when I had the clutch pushed in or the car was in neutral. I managed to get it to Ford before the warranty expired so the only real cost was the miles I had to listen to that thing before I found it.
This mustang has a pretty quiet gear train with the manual transmission but it does make a little noise when I coast in gear. So far it's not loud enough to bother me.
If the noise varies with acceleration and the pitch changes with speed, it might not be the transmission.

Blackwolf393

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Ordered
I have the same thing, honestly sounds like the electric motors on an EV. I wasnt sure if it was the transmission or just the wheel bearings/axle bearings or whatever revving up to a high RPM

OP
OP
Dave_E

Dave_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The noise varies with revs, nothing else. It's as loud to me at 5mph as 50mph if the revs are similar. But if you drop a gear and the revs increase, so does the pitch and volume of the whine.

Ford acknowledge a '10R80 whine' but say it's the straight cut gears in the fluid pump, so I guess the pump speed must increase with revs. But I don't know enough to know if that's the case or not, or if that's even what I'm hearing.

thelostone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
The noise varies with revs, nothing else. It's as loud to me at 5mph as 50mph if the revs are similar. But if you drop a gear and the revs increase, so does the pitch and volume of the whine.

Ford acknowledge a '10R80 whine' but say it's the straight cut gears in the fluid pump, so I guess the pump speed must increase with revs. But I don't know enough to know if that's the case or not, or if that's even what I'm hearing.
This is my 2024 GT 10R80 whine ..I’m already at 7k miles been like this since day one

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual

That description clearly indicates it's on the engine side of the transmission which would indicate an oil pump. I am a bit surprised that Ford can't cut a gear that doesn't sing as they have been making them for many years.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
This is my 2024 GT 10R80 whine ..I’m already at 7k miles been like this since day one
That's exactly how my car sound. Right down to the point 🤣🤣. Not much whine when still. But as soon as I hit the gas. The whine comes in.

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 BMW M135i Xdrive
I guess everyone just gotta go get that H-pipe right away! 🤣

MustangNoob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

jboogie1289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT w/ PP, AE & NPP Pkg
I guess everyone just gotta go get that H-pipe right away! 🤣

Or X-Pipe!! I do still hear it but it's at low speed as I come up to my Driveway. Kinda does sound like a low pitch Supercharger whine but that's it. 🤷‍♂️

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
H-pipe > X-Pipe on the '24. It's a lower growl sound.
Sponsored