• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Any typewriter tick with gen 4 Coyote engine?

Raebanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I know the cars are still brand new and most haven’t done their first oil change yet. Has anyone experienced the infamous typewriter tick with the gen4s?
Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Its a coyote, sounds like a coyote and performs like a coyote.

Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...
Four generations of the engine and they are going strong. Yes, it sounds bad; nobody likes it but obviously it is a fantastic engine. :)

Learn to love the tick. EMBRACE the tick. 🤣 Then hit the throttle and the tick turns into a roar.

Last edited:

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i hope this doesn't start another generation of complaining about the coyote tick. here is what Ford themselves said about the noise for 2011-2023 F150s and Mustangs with the coyote.

Some 2011-2023 Mustang and F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit a tick tap and/or typewriter ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is often referred to as typewriter noise because of its similarity to the sound of a mechanical typewriter. The noise in question may be heard on some engines when engine temperatures reach 150°F (65°C) or higher and engine speed is at idle up to approximately 1700 RPMs. It can typically be heard at the front wheel well and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area. The typewriter noise tick rate can be faster or slower and is not detrimental to the engine function or durability and has no short or long term effects on the engine. This an operating characteristic of the 5.0L engine and no repairs should be attempted.
wish these complaints would go the way of the Mustang's competition

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
i hope this doesn't start another generation of complaining about the coyote tick. here is what Ford themselves said about the noise for 2011-2023 F150s and Mustangs with the coyote.

I don't hear the tick (yet?), nor on my s550, but thanks for sharing this!

OP
OP
Raebanks

Raebanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

Yeah I hope so too….. just wanted to confirm that it’s a continuous characteristic of the motor that’s all.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Its a coyote, sounds like a coyote and performs like a coyote.

Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...
Four generations of the engine and they are going strong. Yes, it sounds bad; nobody like it but obviously it is a fantastic engine. :)

Learn to love the tick. EMBRACE the tick. 🤣 Then hit the throttle and the tick turns into a roar.
Kinda in the same vein as Poe tay toe…. Poe tay toe…… Poe tay toe poe tay toe … poe tay toe poe tay toe poe tay toe …….

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Btw: it ain’t a typewriter. It’s more like an adding machine calculating all the times, inch-for-inch, she’s kicked arse….

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Camaro ZL1 (prev. 2019 Mustang GT; 2025?)
I'm hearing lots of accounts of BBQ ticking. But Ford assures you, it's a "normal" operating characteristic.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
I'm hearing lots of accounts of BBQ ticking. But Ford assures you, it's a "normal" operating characteristic.
because it doesn’t affect performance or cause any longevity issues

slowjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT base manual
mine has it right around 1800-1900rpm

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
People with scoring in cylinders and/or replacing engine blocks may disagree.
And again that has nothing to do with this. Because people with it report no ill effects.
Sponsored