• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Am I too picky? ….so many flaws on new $70k cars!

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
My main thing is that I’m dropping $70k plus and there are dents, scratches and windshield issues on a brand new car! My GT350 met my standards, my 2003 Cobra had a chip on the door that they fixed before I bought it….my point is a NEW car should be pretty close to perfect when you buy it. Things happen…but let ME don it…not “pre installed”!
Sponsored

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Performance Pack Level II
My main thing is that I’m dropping $70k plus and there are dents, scratches and windshield issues on a brand new car! My GT350 met my standards, my 2003 Cobra had a chip on the door that they fixed before I bought it….my point is a NEW car should be pretty close to perfect when you buy it. Things happen…but let ME don it…not “pre installed”!
Where was the white one you looked at? Just wanna make sure it wasn't the one I was gonna drive 400 miles to look at.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
But why you buying it it if it ain’t what you want? Granted it could be better but until we get a sucker for a manufacturer that ain’t gonna happen.

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
No, you're not being picky.

You found a VB that would have had a correction and been in your hands if someone else didn't get the jump on you. Keep looking, you'll find what you want in the condition you want it.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I did. No swirls.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did. No swirls.
Swirls are fine…I have 3 Rupes Polishers…multiple pads and compounds. I like detailing…

Dents and windshield replacements on a new car is not my idea of acceptable…

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2024 GT
Here is my take. It is definitely your hard earned money and if it doesn’t meet your standard, then pass. That being said, you may be on a long, long journey to find a mass produced car that meets your standard. A softball size dent is certainly not acceptable. A new windshield is no big deal and small scratches can be buffed out.

And here is my main point, we drive these things at 80mph on public highways filled with debris. Any “perfect” car will not be prefect in just a few short weeks or months. So why drive yourself crazy for the first few weeks it is “perfect”??

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Coming up on new cars with these issues is not necessarily a concern for me.

- Countless people have been in an out of them since they rolled off the line. Transport, inspectors, the detailer cleaning them, etc. They're not directly involved in sales and with the client. Some in line are generally interested in presenting the product at its best. Many to most are not

- While the car market in general has cooled, it's still pretty hot in many areas. Up until a few years ago, used cars looked new, like new cars. Now, used cars, look, well, used (dents, cracked windshields, unwashed, etc.). The emphasis on brand new cars needing to be flawless isn't there. Not right now anyway. In many instances, more prep is less profit

- Finally, a salesperson will tell any potential client every car is perfect, even if a meteor just careened into the car and crushed the engine bay. I'd hedge few salespeople routinely cruise their lots to review cars, if at all

What's more important to me is what is the salesperson or dealer going to do once those issues are brought to their attention.

If a dealer is willing to work with the customer on these concerns, great. If not, the car doesn't sell. It can break both ways. For now, I think the topic still favors the dealers.

If anyone has not done so before, see if you can tour a detailer that receives and preps new cars. Go shopping for PPF, ceramic coating or tint. You'd think the higher you go in price the better the condition of the fit and finish. Many would be surprised what initially rolls off the truck.

Last edited:

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
I’ve picked up two cars at the bmw factory in Greer,SC, one was a 2011 X5 diesel (great car I regret selling) and a 2013 X6 50 with the Sport pkg. The X5 was almost flawless but the X6 paint was a mess.. It was silver but the paint on the hood and front fenders was so blotchy that it looked like a kid had repainted it with a rattle can. They said I didn’t have to take the car and they would build me another but I had already turned in my lease car so I took it. This one was a lease also so I asked for a letter from the factory stating that the paint as presented came from the factory along with photos so when I turned it in at he end of the lease they couldn’t charge me for the paint not being original paint as it came from the factory. Worked out fine and I lived with it for two years. It turned out to be the worst BMW out of the 6 I’ve owned, it left me stranded on the side of the road twice and I haven’t owned a BMW since. On the other hand my new 2024 Vapor Blus GT manual convertible’s paint is excellent, no flaws, but the car did show up with 26 miles on it which was disturbing.. Face it, if you look hard enough at any new car you can find some kind of flaw or issue with them. I just wish I knew this many, many cars ago when I was much younger!

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Every BMW I've ever looked at had really bad orange peel.

But the worst flaws are in the engine compartment.

I think if you keep after it you will find a car in good condition.

I have the impression that it's really costly for Ford to make a V8 car, even though it has the tiny 5.0 liter displacement and they aren't making very many. There are so many regulations that they have to adhere to now, we are somewhat fortunate we even have a new car Mustang option.

I remember several flaws in my GT350 - like poor rear bumper fitment. To me the car was still worth it. If you love a new car you will probably like what you get.

I really want to like the new Mustang, but for me the latest cars (all of them, I'm not singling out any manufacturer) aren't worth buying. I'm hoping this is a little like what happened in 1970 and things will recover in the future. Until then I'm hanging onto what I have now.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
And here is my main point, we drive these things at 80mph on public highways filled with debris. Any “perfect” car will not be prefect in just a few short weeks or months. So why drive yourself crazy for the first few weeks it is “perfect”??
These are my sentiments as well. Sure we all want perfection when we pick it up, but within the first few days of driving you are going to pick up all sorts of dings from regular use. It is what it is, and there's no avoiding it unless you want to drive around in bubble wrap.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These are my sentiments as well. Sure we all want perfection when we pick it up, but within the first few days of driving you are going to pick up all sorts of dings from regular use. It is what it is, and there's no avoiding it unless you want to drive around in bubble wrap.
All true, but let me accrue them! I don’t want dents on a new car.

EdMan63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse, 2023 Explorer ST
My black car appeared perfect at a glance, but under a light had all kinds of swirls and surface scratches from the initial washing and being on the showroom. After a mild correction and ceramic it’s damn near perfect. If the dealer has run it through a car wash for delivery it’s probably scratched. Dents are another story. Could be carrier damage.

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Boss 302
If I wanted info on a BMW I would be looking at a BMW Forum not a mustang Forum like this one
Sponsored