• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

4500 rpm limiter

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
I think you might be conflating an attempt at a polite challenge to the accuracy of something you’ve posted with someone being lazy. Two different things.
I get tired of people wanting others to look everything up for them. Your car, drive it the way you want. But if you can’t do as they suggest to do for 1000 miles then that’s really sad.
I have had mine 8 days, I have 101 miles on it😂(I don’t run just to be running as you can tell) and it may not have 1000 miles on it for weeks or months yet. Of course when you have 5 vehicles to drive, you can save miles on the ones that cost the most
Sponsored

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
I always shift before 4500 rpm’s, ford dealership said not to go over 4000 rpm’s period until 1000 miles. Doing as they say, figured they know best
i guess i'll be the test mule for how true this is. i've gotten mine above 5000rpm and even up to redline a couple times and i've had no issues so far. i guess if something does happen to my engine, there's the 5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty. my personal break-in procedure is keep it below 5k if i can with varying load and rpms, with sometimes getting it high into the revs. first oil change happens at 1000 miles and a sample gets sent to Blackstone Laboratories to make sure everything is ok

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
There are reasons for it, if you would just read. Why would anyone want to take a chance of messing up anything, especially anything this expensive?
God gave us all a brain for a reason. I mean there’s no reason you can’t do as they recommend for 1000?
I would sure hate to see what your car ins is and what it will go up too when you get stopped. 😄

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
There are reasons for it, if you would just read. Why would anyone want to take a chance of messing up anything, especially anything this expensive?
God gave us all a brain for a reason. I mean there’s no reason you can’t do as they recommend for 1000?
i did the exact same break in for my Mach 1 and had an oil catch can on it. it ran perfect and there was never a drop of oil in it. that shows that it broke in just fine, and the gen 4 is just a gen 3 with a different intake. if something happens, i'll admit it and give you a lifetime "i told you so" pass

DJGold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2015 V6 Manual (3.55 diff)
I'm not sure if this post is a joke. The car should rev over 4500rpm no problem. New cars today don't have a break in period anymore. If I bought a Dark Horse it's not to drive it lightly. Car has a warranty that will be honored no matter how I drive it. This all sounds like nonsense.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Everyone to each their own. No periods of idle or constant same rpm's. After a few hundred miles strong pulls to 4 or 5k. Do this for the first 500 miles. My 72 Grand Torino had a 3500 stall converter OEM and just driving normal it would hit 4k going from a corner. I have done this for all my engines and never had a motor fail,burn oil,or valve tick.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
i did the exact same break in for my Mach 1 and had an oil catch can on it. it ran perfect and there was never a drop of oil in it. that shows that it broke in just fine, and the gen 4 is just a gen 3 with a different intake. if something happens, i'll admit it and give you a lifetime "i told you so" pass
You will be fine. Working in the automotive aftermarket I have had interactions with many of the OEs..asked them as we were asked to dyno preproductioncars with no miles all the time. I also have friends that build motors for multi million dollars cars (they restore them as well) whom have built motors for me before... and they suggest the sane thing you are doing... vary the RPMs .. not too long at a certain RPM .. hard pulls to lower RPM the first 100 miles ... them occasional hard pulls to redline after.. just don't drive around with it bouncing off the rev limiter aka track use for the first 1000 or so miles... a few pictures...

S650 Mustang 4500 rpm limiter IMG_20210402_134531

S650 Mustang 4500 rpm limiter 20200401_150922

S650 Mustang 4500 rpm limiter 20211019_103044

S650 Mustang 4500 rpm limiter IMG_2966

S650 Mustang 4500 rpm limiter IMG_20210402_134505

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
I get tired of people wanting others to look everything up for them. Your car, drive it the way you want. But if you can’t do as they suggest to do for 1000 miles then that’s really sad.
I have had mine 8 days, I have 101 miles on it😂(I don’t run just to be running as you can tell) and it may not have 1000 miles on it for weeks or months yet. Of course when you have 5 vehicles to drive, you can save miles on the ones that cost the most
That‘s a great response but unfortunately it has nothing whatsoever to do with the short post of mine that you quoted.

I believe I’ll yield to whatever helpful information you choose to put up.

Rate_of_Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO, 22 Triumph Speed Twin
Ford says 1000 miles do NOT go over 4000 RPM’s which is exactly what I am doing. I won’t take a chance of screwing up anything that costs that much. I know how hard we work for this kind of money
What Ford actually says in your owners manual is a little different (and also not that hard to find)

BREAKING-IN

Your vehicle requires a break-in period. For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow. During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
What Ford actually says in your owners manual is a little different (and also not that hard to find)

BREAKING-IN

Your vehicle requires a break-in period. For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive shifting or using your vehicle to tow. During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web
We need a ‘warning: vehicle undergoing break-in - speed may vary’ placard, similar to those student/new driver stickers.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV

BREAKING-IN

It took 40 posts of silly arguments before somebody actually posted what FORD say in the car manual! Some of you guys really would argue and take offence over everything!

Well done that man!

And yes - the car needs to go back to the dealer

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
For perspective on the self-imposed 4000 RPM limit while breaking-in, a quote, from the article posted earlier.

Dustin Hawley | Sep 07, 2022

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/do-you-need-to-break-in-a-new-engine

"Avoid Pushing The Engine Too Hard

The most common temptation with a new engine is testing and pushing it to its limit. A general rule is to keep the engine under 4,000 rpm within the first 500-1000 miles..."

I'd read and follow the Ford Owners Manual, which provides general guidelines. Compliment that with experiences posted here and elsewhere.

Last edited:

Rate_of_Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO, 22 Triumph Speed Twin
For perspective on the self-imposed 4000 RPM limit while breaking-in, a quote, from the article posted earlier.

Dustin Hawley | Sep 07, 2022

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/do-you-need-to-break-in-a-new-engine

"Avoid Pushing The Engine Too Hard

The most common temptation with a new engine is testing and pushing it to its limit. A general rule is to keep the engine under 4,000 rpm within the first 500-1000 miles..."

I'd read and follow the Ford Owners Manual, which provides general guidelines. Compliment that with experiences posted here and elsewhere.
Just so it’s said, you all realize that article by JD Power is marketing, right? It’s SEO or Search Engine Optimization

It’s written on a clear format to make it rank for a Google SERP feature caller PAA or People Also Ask. Content like that is written specifically to cast a wide net on easily identifiable keyword strategies to get a single piece of content to rank on Google for multiple topics

Most times articles like that are written by someone with very little knowledge on the actual subject matter but someone skilled at crafts my content that can rank.

Please please please be smart and read the extremely easy to find OWNER MANUAL for what FORD ACTUALLY says

SEO content and dealership meatheads is almost NEVER the answer

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I haven’t wanted to really push it in 2nd. I’m in a town with 45 mph roads
Sometimes one will need to use a tad bit more aggression getting back into/up to speed after pulling over onto the shoulder of the freeway/highway [in order] to verify the noise you heard was not a loose lug nut.

OP
OP
Jrws1014

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Sometimes one will need to use a tad bit more aggression getting back into/up to speed after pulling over onto the shoulder of the freeway/highway [in order] to verify the noise you heard was not a loose lug nut.
Once again, not that issue. I was able to watch the tach stall.
Sponsored