• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

4500 rpm limiter

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Good Morning Mustang family.. I think i experienced something like this, and was caught off guard so don't know if a problem or not.. When testing the car at the dealership, i revved the heck out of it on the test drive to push the car and feel the acceleration, when it redlined, i noticed the engine cut back.. almost seemed like a loss of power.. i looked at the electronic dash and noticed this happened just as i hit redline.. I have owned about 7 mustangs for the past 10 years and have revved the crap out of these cars, and this is the first time that has happened.. not sure if this is a new feature or if the engine has an actual problem.. is this the same thing being talked about here??

Doug
What do you expect it to do? If you reach the red line you hit the rev limiter and so the engine will not go any faster.

All cars with fuel injection / ECU (so anything built since the 1990's) have an electronic rev limiter.
Sponsored

dnetbandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I wasnt sure what to expect which is why i posted here, hoping to find some direction.. I have owned other mustangs prior to this one, and I have always revved the heck out of them especially when driving her aggressively.. it is the first time i felt that drop in power when revving like that so wasn't sure what to expect.. wasn't sure if it was a transmission problem, something i would have to go back to the dealership for..

Is this something that happens now?? or is this something that has to be removed.. because i found the speed delimiter, where when you hit a certain speed in some areas, it controls it..

What do you expect it to do? If you reach the red line you hit the rev limiter and so the engine will not go any faster.

All cars with fuel injection / ECU (so anything built since the 1990's) have an electronic rev limiter.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I wasnt sure what to expect which is why i posted here, hoping to find some direction.. I have owned other mustangs prior to this one, and I have always revved the heck out of them especially when driving her aggressively.. it is the first time i felt that drop in power when revving like that so wasn't sure what to expect.. wasn't sure if it was a transmission problem, something i would have to go back to the dealership for..

Is this something that happens now?? or is this something that has to be removed.. because i found the speed delimiter, where when you hit a certain speed in some areas, it controls it..
You need to expand on what you mean here. There is a top speed limiter on the car but nothing related to "certain speeds in some areas". Please explain?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You can't remove the rev limiter - it is there to stop you blowing up the engine

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to expand on what you mean here. There is a top speed limiter on the car but nothing related to "certain speeds in some areas". Please explain?
Assume the S650 has speed limiter function set either manually or based on speed limit sign recognition - switch is near the ACC controls.

But that is nothing to do with the rev limiter obviously

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
I just had it pulled up let me go find it. My dealership also said the same, and a couple of the guys that work there agreed and they have been driving mustangs for a long time.
It really is NOT hard to find if you search right. I get tired of looking up things for people that are too lazy too look🤬🤬

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
People do what they want. Some here beat their cars from day one and report no issues over tens of thousands of miles. Other wait 400/500 miles before getting on it. I believe that most “normal”, I.e. not folks on here, drivers adhere to the thousand mile rule. There is no right or wrong. It’s whatever works for you. Personally I took it easy for the first five hundred miles and didn’t do sustained high RPM runs until after one thousand miles.

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si

You might have lost traction, in which case it will cut power with traction control on. Considering you don't know what was happening, the car might have saved you from wrecking it.

If it was a rev limiter, and youre asking about removing the limiter, you might have something wrong with yourself if you think a V8 with a 7500 redline is not enough.

dnetbandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
first and foremost, thank you for your replies..

let me be a little more specific.. this has nothing to do with the functionality of the rev limiter or the thing when you are in parked and rev it to impress.. this has to do with you driving and pressing down on the accelerator and given her some good revving and getting that baby moving.. i noticed that to get up to the higher speeds, you hold off switching from one gear to another to the last possible moment.. in some cases, if it gets to the rpm limit which is the start of the red, instead of the exhaust popping the way it did prior, you get like a loss of speed and force.. I am not sure if that truly explains it, but i noticed that when i went to purchase, and i peeled out and sped up to feel her power, that she did that..

Doug

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Assume the S650 has speed limiter function set either manually or based on speed limit sign recognition - switch is near the ACC controls.

Exactly which is why I was looking for a clearer explanation of what point he was trying to state

I know what you are saying.....he did say he was using ACC when it limited his speed in certain areas. Basically, I'm trying to find out if he was using ACC when his speed was limited :cwl:

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
first and foremost, thank you for your replies..

let me be a little more specific.. this has nothing to do with the functionality of the rev limiter or the thing when you are in parked and rev it to impress.. this has to do with you driving and pressing down on the accelerator and given her some good revving and getting that baby moving.. i noticed that to get up to the higher speeds, you hold off switching from one gear to another to the last possible moment.. in some cases, if it gets to the rpm limit which is the start of the red, instead of the exhaust popping the way it did prior, you get like a loss of speed and force.. I am not sure if that truly explains it, but i noticed that when i went to purchase, and i peeled out and sped up to feel her power, that she did that..

Doug
Not sure if getting trolled or not.
Youre hitting the rev limiter. The car does not pop when you hit the rev limiter, it cuts power since the engine is not allowed to spin faster.

dnetbandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Youre hitting the rev limiter. The car does not pop when you hit the rev limiter, it cuts power since the engine is not allowed to spin faster.
Ok, so then this is normal because that is exactly what happens.. i thought the rev limiter was what happened when you used the key fob to rev the car or something of the sort.. thank you.. thought i was having transmission issues already..

Doug

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
People do what they want. Some here beat their cars from day one and report no issues over tens of thousands of miles. Other wait 400/500 miles before getting on it. I believe that most “normal”, I.e. not folks on here, drivers adhere to the thousand mile rule. There is no right or wrong. It’s whatever works for you. Personally I took it easy for the first five hundred miles and didn’t do sustained high RPM runs until after one thousand miles.
When I get to 500 miles, I may start running it 4500-5000 rpm’s but,only have another week to get those miles on it as surgery is the 31st and I won’t be able to drive it for a few months as it is a manual

OP
OP
Jrws1014

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I know what’s he’s talking about. On the 550 the rpm gauge would almost bounce down a few hundred rpm and re-engage going back up to the limit and bounce back down. The cut in power was not some elongated process. If you feel a loss in power for more than a split second and then the car gets back into it at high speeds that could cause a loss of control. So I am also concerned on how this is operating.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know what’s he’s talking about. On the 550 the rpm gauge would almost bounce down a few hundred rpm and re-engage going back up to the limit and bounce back down. The cut in power was not some elongated process. If you feel a loss in power for more than a split second and then the car gets back into it at high speeds that could cause a loss of control. So I am also concerned on how this is operating.
Hitting the rev limiter at high speed! You should be changing gear before you hit the rev limiter anyway not bashing into it.
Sponsored