• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hmmm... so what IS the major diff between the S550 and S650?

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Sorry my comment was a bit harsh.
I've owned 2 GT's before the 350 and they were both pre-2018 refresh so maybe I am a bit biased. I have to say all the other improvements both visually and mechanically were a home run for the 2018+ refresh, especially the active exhaust. If some of those features were part of my 2016 GT I may still be driving it. The Darth Vader comment is direct from the Ford Designers of the 2018+ refresh, they used Darth Vadar's mask as an inspiration... apparently trying to make it look more sinister. They just missed the target in my opinion as it give it an odd look. Especially the empty quarter pockets on each end. I did see a 2018 S550 with Rousch brand inserts which added some depth and detail to that area; makes it look much better. As far as the new platform goes, they have such a great foundation with the S550 chassis, it will be interesting to see what improvements they are cooking up.
No wasn't harsh at all. When it comes to looks, things will always be subjective and your opinion isn't worth less than mine just cause it's different. :)
I'm also first-time Mustang owner and I started with 2019. So I am heavily biased.

The more you say it, the more I see the Vader inspiration. I think they actually did a pretty good job. I also think the LED fog lights and LED turn signals/parking lamps look way better than the incandescent pre-refresh.
Where they dropped the ball is the DRLs. So freaking dim (and yes, I know they brighten up when actually driving, had wife drive the Bullitt behind me once) and it's like they're not even on. Would consider aftermarket, but don't want to unseal the entire unit.

What pocket you mean exactly? Please show a pic. One thing that they could've opened was the front lower fake vents and direct them toward the brakes.
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
No wasn't harsh at all. When it comes to looks, things will always be subjective and your opinion isn't worth less than mine just cause it's different. :)
I'm also first-time Mustang owner and I started with 2019. So I am heavily biased.

The more you say it, the more I see the Vader inspiration. I think they actually did a pretty good job. I also think the LED fog lights and LED turn signals/parking lamps look way better than the incandescent pre-refresh.
Where they dropped the ball is the DRLs. So freaking dim (and yes, I know they brighten up when actually driving, had wife drive the Bullitt behind me once) and it's like they're not even on. Would consider aftermarket, but don't want to unseal the entire unit.

What pocket you mean exactly? Please show a pic. One thing that they could've opened was the front lower fake vents and direct them toward the brakes.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your comments. I do like the bullitt version by the way.
Here is the link to the corner pockets...
https://www.americanmuscle.com/rous...VPuvjBx2Ieg9yEAQYASABEgLR0vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yeah I love my Bullitt for sure. I got 18k miles in 14 months already. 😳
This morning at Costco, lady with a convertible Ecoboost was fueling up, so I pulled up behind her. She asked if that was the Bullitt and that her friend bought two, to put one in storage. Man, I wanna have that kinda spending money. :D

The pockets are neat, but they're still not pass through (I'm assuming the bumper would have to be drilled through to get air to brakes), so I probably wouldn't replace fake vent for a fake vent. Appreciate the link though!

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
She asked if that was the Bullitt and that her friend bought two, to put one in storage.
I highly doubt with that many production numbers of the Bullitt (it ran two model years) it will increase it's value especially if you count in inflation or what money you could make with a smart investment (you can pretty much guarantee that putting that money in crypto currencies will generate way bigger profits over the next 20 years)

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I highly doubt with that many production numbers of the Bullitt (it ran two model years) it will increase it's value especially if you count in inflation or what money you could make with a smart investment (you can pretty much guarantee that putting that money in crypto currencies will generate way bigger profits over the next 20 years)
Yeah, I didn't really understand it either, I'd rather drive the hell out of it, which so far I have as it's my daily.
Maybe it was one of those collectors that wants to have a new one for every generation and every somewhat limited run.
I do realize they did make 2 years, but it's still not the most common car out there. Whether it appreciates in value significantly to justify storage is another thing.

Or, maybe it was an older guy that's waiting for their grandson to get to driving age in 12 years or something when V8s might be scarcer and then they get this is a gift? I dunno. I'm sure they had a good reason for this.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
So is the S650 going to be a totally electrified platform like the SEMA “Lithium” or hybrid fuel/electro?

Must be something really specific and quite unique to the S650 (aside from physical appearances) if an entirely new forum was created .. hint hint...

:clap:
No, it was said many times on the other forum in fact. By Twin Turbo, a few insiders, and myself. 2023 is a new generation, evolving the existing D5 platform. Just like S197 to S550, which also warranted a new forum.

8th generation is 2029 and very electrified.

A new forum doesn’t mean anything and it was something I even begged for LOL, but understandably had no say in not being staff/moderator.

There was always going to be a new forum for this upcoming car, because it’s a Full Model Change, meaning a generational change. It doesn’t mean it must be 100% new.

It would’ve been very redundant to continue discussing this in the old 6G forum, which itself opened up around 2012 about two years before the car came out.

SN-95 in 1993 was also considered a new generation distinct from OG Fox Stang, so will S650. The only significantly new Mustang since 1978 after Fox, has been the S197, which introduced a new platform called D2C/D5 in 2004, still being used today and for years to come.

S550 was a heavily reworked S197 with IRS re-added and Ford fooled many people into thinking it was 1000% all new.

I keep hearing commentary that alludes to this being just a mid-cycle refresh or a whole from the ground up redesign. It is neither, which many of us have stated for about nearly 2 years now.

I think we all need to listen to each other a bit more to be on the same page.

I can forgive other owners for not understanding what’s coming, but I am more pissed at the automotive media for screwing with people’s heads and confusing us all on what S650 is.

They did the same thing with the Bronco and other models, so we need to be more careful.

At best I saw a glimpse of it last year for 5-10 seconds, when an ex S650 Mustang engineer flashed something he was working at home while FTing. That Chinese concept sculpture was very close to what I saw., but still not 100% it.

So far it doesn't look all too different from the S550, so I expect the Coyote to continue for a while at least. I will be very tempted to buy the "last of the v8 interceptors" myself.
S550 was deliberately designed a decade ago, to set the tone for Mustang styling for at least two generations. Abandoning the retro theme ensured of that.

It successfully evolves the original aesthetic of the S550, which is the greatest selling point and why sales remain at the top, in spite of an industry decline.

The S550 is damn elegant and refined compared to recent Mustangs of yore, closer matching the svelte originals of the mid-60s. Younger buyers love it more than the S197 and crude SN-95.

Coyote will continue indeed, but beyond 2028 I wouldn’t on it, unless product planners of 2026 commit to keeping it beyond 2028.

I just grabbed me one last week, 2500 mi.

002.JPG

007.JPG

027.JPG

034.JPG
HOT! The deal of the century. There’s something about these 5.8 GT500s, which rubs me the right way. One day I hope to find one like this with low miles, sadly at least 3 years from now.

Last I heard the gen for going all electric will not happen until 2028 ish. So we have a few more years. I hear 2 rumors, the S650 is going to be only a minor change from the S550, which is supposed to come out in 2022 or 2023, then the big change comes in 2028. The other rumor is the S550 will remain until the Electrified version. No one seems to have an answer. 2022 is approaching quick, and no spy shots or anything tells me it will have to be 2023 at the earliest.

Of course there is rumors the Mustang will share pieces from the explorer, what that means is beyond me, I own one an Explorer ST and for what it is, it is a fantastic performer. I suspect some of the AWD & other tech will be integrated into the S650 some how, or possibly the hybrid portions. The "ST Line" is not sold in the US, but it has 450 Hp, in AWD, which shares the same power-train as the Lincoln Aviator with the Touring Trim (IIRC).

What is true and what is not is an enigma. Only time will tell.
First off, the bolded is what you shouldn’t trust at all and is from media not paying any good attention to what they previously reported and what they’re reporting today.

I am the person that with a little tip from inside, was easily able to find on Google, official launch year information from Ford on the S650 very quickly. That was in early 2020.

News media couldn’t have been bothered, until they saw my post and then copied it without giving Mustang6G or me due credit.🤬

They all have their heads up their a—ses or simply type up irrelevant fluff, than doing real leg work to unearth info hidden in plain sight on future models.

Unless back in late 2020, Jim Farley had an about face over S650 and like his predecessor, reshuffled the program for millionth time since 2017.

Mark Fields in 2016, wanted a Camaro beater in dynamics and a world class modular architecture underpinning it, RWD and FWD Fords, plus Lincoln vehicles. Hackett canceled it and reassigned S650 to a revised car once again, planned for 2022.

The delay still required a good 5 years to develop, so at that point it became a 2023 model. To think that Jim Farley all of a sudden decided to cancel it again, keep S550 and then make S650 an EV 7 years out, would be bonkers.

We already lost out on getting our first Mustang this year with fully new bones since 2004, because Hackett pulled a desperate stunt to shoot up the stock and cancelled “non-essential” Ford programs, which was all for naught.

The original CD6 Mustang with a car guy like Mark Fields in charge being heavily invested in it would have been wonders, before the EV revolution fully takes over.

As for responding to another thing you said, I already established over a year ago from Ford directly, that it’s a 2023 model. Originally summer 2022, but it is now late 2022 and you will not see spy shots yet because, Ford has gotten even strict about cars testing in camo too early.

At best maybe 15 months from Job 1, while at worst and most likely, 11 months from Job 1. Add about 2 months to that with hopefully no more delays, that’s 13-17 months from first delivery date in terms of first spy shots.

Used to be nearly 2 to 3 years ahead of release, you started seeing spy shots of the next or new Ford model testing. (The first photos of a 1995 Ford in camo, were photographed in February 1991!) They hide them more now, especially things Mustang.

Several insiders have said, Hackett cracked down on it heavily and makes them resort to testing in the dark or on highly secured proving grounds, that block unauthorized aerial access. Only in rare cases like the 2021 F-150, are they more transparent.

So many guys whined about the Bronco not being seen 2 years ago, but Ford had already built them for testing in mid-2019 and kept them secret in such methods, until many months later, when staged spy shots came out the next January (11 months before planned 2020/12/07 Job 1).

Now it’s delayed to July due to pandemic, a lot of idiots are whining as usual, about how it’s “so dragged out” and “needs a facelift already”.

Ford was allegedly pissed over the new Ranger leak in February 2019, that they tightened up everything. That was the real deal in final mockup and seen way too early. Barely goes on sale next year, nearly 3 years later...

I believe the specific piece they're referring to is the CD6 platform itself, adjusted/modified to fit the purpose of the Mustang.

Which has a lot of people crying who don't realize just how many great sports cars are out there with the same platform as an SUV.

Also we definitely have the Explorer ST here in the states.
No, this is not correct. It will still utilize D2C/D5, but borrow “some stuff” from CD6.What the media keep getting wrong with some reason i what the media keep getting wrong for some stupid reason is, Ford in 2016 were developing a Mustang on CD6, on the orders of CEO Mark Fields and his subordinates, with the blessing of the Ford family.

He was replaced and his replacement, canned any further investment in CD6 beyond RWD crossovers.

I was a huge champion of Mustang on CD6 to give it new life and not just keep reusing the same compromised D2C architecture, which in some form dates back to to 2001, when Ford realized they couldn’t use the DEW98 RWD basis from Lincoln and Jaguar, on the S197 due in 2004.

For the prices they are now charging for the newer S550s, the car needs more refinement, only a newer shared architecture can bring, without blowing the budget.

GT Premiums are now $60k cars at the very top end, yet still use an old basis from a car introduced in 2004, partly based on cars released in the spring of 1999 and S650 will be more of the same thing, until at least 2028.

On the other forum, it unnerved me how many apologists there are making the BS excuse, that Ford should just keep the S550 with small tweaks and not change it.

And that I was somehow asking too much, to give it a new ICE platform with same formula (but heavily improved) that doesn’t have distant roots in the 90s. That chapter has now passed, unless the EV revolution caves in on itself by 2030.

Definitely going electric, but the timeline is well beyond 2028, i.e. maybe another 10-20 years before BEVs are mainstream vehicles. There's just too many hurdles for BEVs; e.g., range, charging times, lack of infrastructure, battery technology, etc. We'll get over these hurdles, but it will take time. So there will be a long transition. In meantime, ICE Mustangs will continue.
Nope, will likely go BEV by then, unless enough of fuss is made for the next 4-5 years. It’s pencils down on the 8th generation Mustang in early 2026, so Mustang faithful have to do what they did with the Probe 40 years earlier in 1987 and reject it.

There was a FWD craze sweeping the 80s and 90s, until the automakers finally woke up by the late 1990s and stopped trying to force all segments into transverse FWD.

With EVs, it’s great to have instantaneous torque, but the aural pleasure of a pony or muscle car is gone.

As it stands right now, Ford plans an 8th generation as EV for 2029. Maybe that can change depending on executive discretion or public uproar.

Seems strange that the company would create an entirely new platform designation resulting in little or no change from the prior platform? Guess I don't entirely grasp the concept then?
It’s not a platform designation, it’s the model code. Just like F-150 used T3, yet is called P702. P552 F-150 also used T3, and so does P558 SD, U553 Expy and U554 Lincoln Navi . Bronco is U725, yet uses T6 (Gen II).

S550 uses D5/D2C.

Was it strange to call the 1994 Mustang SN-95 or this generation, S550 instead of keeping it as S197?

This redesign is no different than what the S550 is compared to S197. S550 wasn’t new from the ground up and constituted the same level of changes as S650 to its predecessor.

Ford fooled many of you, myself included initially, into thinking their 50th anniversary car was all-new aside from Cyclone V6 and Coyote V8.

Well it wasn't and used the same basis as their 40th anniversary car, the S197 (New Edge 40th was a fraud made in 2003).

New tophat, revised underbody. It most certainly warrants a new name, just like S550 and SN-95 did. A FMC vehicle program always gets a new code.

The 2010 model was an impressive level of changes and took 4 years to do, but did not and stayed S197.

I'm kind of there with you, I'm a little confused whether this is just going to be a "heavy refresh" or an entirely new platform. Seems there's not much really that confirmed to know...
Twin Turbo, Ace, myself and several others have made it a frequent topic of discussion, to air out any ideas on what we expect and have learned. This is a heavy reskin per Hackett’s wishes, after he cancelled the full redesign for 2021 back in May 2017.

S650 is no longer targeted as the Alpha beater, as S550 Mustang has proven to be more competitive than thought originally against Camaro and Hackett just wanted to (unsuccessfully) improve Ford stock short term, by ditching that focus.

It has been said for 3 years now by both insiders and later news media, that a Mustang on an all new platform isn’t happening before 2026. In reality, it became 2028.

This isn’t shocking, as the current S550 was pretty much the same story. It just got so hyped by the media and cynical spokespeople, everyone thought they gave it new bones. It’s basically a newer S197 w/IRS and so will S650.

The S650 is expected to use a modified version of the current platform (D2C) that integrates parts of the CD6 (Ford Explorer) platform. The new platform is named D5.

So its more than a refresh, but not a completely new model.
Correct, but for some really weird reason, Ford as an organization, is very inconsistent on how they refer to the platform name. It was often called D2C since 2003, when the name leaked, but it’s been known as D5 for many, many years now.

D5 isn’t new, because many Mercury era charts included D5 as platform the S197 used. Under D5, they list both S197 and S550. Some charts list D2C instead or both.

D6 or CD6 was created as its modular replacement, also replacing Volvo-based FWD D3/D4.

Yep, think of the changes between the '09 and '10 model years, that's what I'm expecting. Tweaks to the chassis, engine and gearbox with an all-new "top hat" meaning all new sheet metal/head lamps/tail lamps etc. There's a chance S650 will also have new glass and an even more pronounced fastback (even the '10 had different side glass to the '09.....although the changes were minimal).
I think I pointed on the other forum elaborately months ago, it is more than those changes for the S197.

SN-95 came out in December 1993 & January 1994 and was very different from the 3rd iteration of Fox body, itself in production from Summer 1986 to October 1993.

Ford product planners treated SN-95 as a Full Model Change following the ST-16 Mazda-Stang Probe fiasco, with a small, yet significant investment behind it since 1989.

S197 was truly all-new after 26 years.

The S550 entered planning in 2009 after the 2010 MY cars hit showrooms in March 2009. The 2010 was a heavy MCA (Mid Cycle Action), although similar to the 2009 F-150 and 2006 Explorer, yet only 2 of 3 was considered a new generation.

The early 2012 S197 updates for 2013, were quietly developed in 2010 to keep it fresh after 3 years in production, bridge it closer to secret proposals for the S550 program, and give it some staying power until 2014, when S550 finally came out.

If Ford had sold the Mustang as-is from March 2009 to September 2014, they would’ve lost relevance. 2013 MY changes kept it alive longer. 2018+ is already losing steam and should’ve been lightly updated for 2021., but unlike Mullaly, Hackett was stingy and DGAF.

As I said before, this is 9/10ths the amount of changes between S197 and S550, not 2009 vs 2010. It’s a full model change, the same way the 2021 F-150, 2023 Super Duty, and 2023 Ranger are on heavily revised architectures.

I suspect that in order to keep costs down, they will keep as much as the S550 as possible.

This really begs to ask the question, will it actually be a new Generation? Many people want to break the 1st Gen in two, with the 71-73 being so different from the previous 64-70. Yet they are considered Gen 1 from 64-73. The Mustang II was the 2nd Generation.
It’s a new generation, no question. Since the design is already done and suppliers already long since defined, it really shouldn’t be future tense LOL. Just because it’s hidden from us, doesn’t exist somewhere. Final design was finished last year and production begins fall of next year.

Plus, this really isn’t a foreign concept. The SN-95 and S550 represent the same thing as the S650. Only the Mustang II, Fox Body in 1978, and S197 in 2004, were truly new cars inside out.

The rest were heavy redos anyway, inter-generationally (SN-95, S550) or intra-generationally (1971, 1987, New Edge, 2010, 2018).

While I agree the ‘15-‘17’s look better visually, I believe the GT350’s and GT500’s were in development before the refresh which would make sense. I think it would be costly to R&D the face lift and would put production back further possibly. Kinda glad that didn’t go that route honestly!
Same story with the Gen 2 Raptor. According to an F-150 designer, they finished designing the regular F-150 in 2011 and locked it in during 2012.

It entered production in November 2014, first selling in late December and early 2015. The Raptor version was designed until late 2013 and locked in during by spring 2014. Didn’t arrive in customer hands until January 2017 due to some late delays.

Problem is, Ford ALSO revealed the P552 MCA/Mid Cycle Action for 2018 in January 2017. In fact, the Raptor didn’t go on sale for 2 years after its debut at 2015 Detroit as a prettied up prototype.

All they could do is change the keyless remote and tailgate stamping for 2018s, which arrived in September 2017 at dealers.

Ford designed both the 2015 F-150 and iconic Mustang for 2015 in parallel to each other. Ditto for their MCAs. Both MCAs were designed from 2014 to late 2015 and then locked in by early 2016.

The fact the Raptor took so long to come out and the GT500 as well, it was deemed not worthwhile to update for various reasons, especially aero. They're too low volume. IIRC, Ford updated the Raptor for 2019MY and 2018 GT350.

I hated the 2018-20 F-150 and Mustang MCA to a similar degree, but still loved them in GT350 and Raptor grade through the end. Don't like overstyled S550 GT500.

Also had issues with the GT350 early on, in looking overstyled compared to a PP GT Premium and for the P552 Raptor going V6 only. I grew to love both, plus the luxurious, BMW M-like nature of the outgoing Raptor in spite of the V6.

I have owned 2 P415 original 6.2s, but they are not as refined as a newer Raptor and feel agricultural by comparison. Ditto for S550 against cruder S197.

Unfortunately I hate the exterior of the new P702 Raptor, but eyeing the P702 V8 R down the road. P552 Raptor (2nd gen) is the best design wise.

The sloped front end of original P415 Raptor is a bit cartoonish now and sucks in parking compared to the flatter P552, which is downright chiseled and automotive art.

The Scottish Callum who replaced J Mays as Ford design director in 2014 has been doing weird stuff for some 2018+ models and maybe I can blame that on Mark Fields a little too. Alan Mullaly as CEO wanted tasteful restraint with broad appeal, as did J Mays of Audi/Volkswagen/BMW fame.

I won’t get into my opinion of S550 MCA outside of black or MGM, but the S650 seems to lean more on pre-MCA fascia from the 5-10 sec glance I got.

For me, between Mustang and F-150 there is a very interesting parallel over the years:

S197 = P221 & P415 F-150 (11 & 12Gen) An attempt to make bolder designs, major MCAs for 2009.
S550 = P552 (13th gen) Modernizing of the nameplates and huge F&F improvement.
S650 = P702 (14G) Evolving the last generation behind, correcting weak spots.

Both attract Ford's most loyal buyers.

Sorry my comment was a bit harsh.
I've owned 2 GT's before the 350 and they were both pre-2018 refresh so maybe I am a bit biased. I have to say all the other improvements both visually and mechanically were a home run for the 2018+ refresh, especially the active exhaust. If some of those features were part of my 2016 GT I may still be driving it. The Darth Vader comment is direct from the Ford Designers of the 2018+ refresh, they used Darth Vadar's mask as an inspiration... apparently trying to make it look more sinister. They just missed the target in my opinion as it give it an odd look. Especially the empty quarter pockets on each end. I did see a 2018 S550 with Rousch brand inserts which added some depth and detail to that area; makes it look much better. As far as the new platform goes, they have such a great foundation with the S550 chassis, it will be interesting to see what improvements they are cooking up.
I guess you are referring to new model, because sadly it is not a new platform. Like the 2015 vs 2014, it keeps D5 and will not change until generation 8.

Think 2021 F-150 and upcoming Ranger. New, but not all-new. Reserve all new for the Bronco. They are just touching up One Ford era products.

Last edited:

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Please refer to the above post. It’s all been merged into one.

Last edited:

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Mark Fields in 2016, wanted a Camaro beater in dynamics and a world class modular architecture underpinning it, RWD and FWD Fords, plus Lincoln vehicles. Hackett canceled it and reassigned S650 to a revised car once again, planned for 2022.
I know I am a minority, but I would have loved to see this performance optimized Gen 7. While I enjoyed my S550 back then, I am much more happier with my '18 Camaro since it really drives like a top notch sportscar. Ford stepped up the Mustang with the refresh and PP2, but it's pretty safe to they that they only did that because of how good the Camaro was. That's why it's always good for even fans of a specific car to have good competitors.

Sales obviously told another story with people prefering just the cheaper (I think Camaro6 SS was about $4k more expansive than the Mustang6 GT at launch) and more practical cars. So I totally get why investing in an Alpha Platform competitor makes no sense. So I hope the S650 will still get some performance upgrades and not just focus on fancy stuff nobody needs like bigger touchscreens and autonomous driving.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'd hope Ford can move S650 closer to the driving dynamics of the 6th Gen Camaro. The chassis balance of the Mach 1 seems to be getting good reviews in as much as it seems to be the best S550 yet, so I'm confident S650's dynamics will be an improvement over the current car. Of course, less mass and weight would help, but I don't think we can count on that.

If they can do that whilst keep S650 good looking with good usability (trunk space, interior space etc), they'll have another winner on their hands.

Reactions: Ace

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I'd hope Ford can move S650 closer to the driving dynamics of the 6th Gen Camaro. The chassis balance of the Mach 1 seems to be getting good reviews in as much as it seems to be the best S550 yet, so I'm confident S650's dynamics will be an improvement over the current car. Of course, less mass and weight would help, but I don't think we can count on that.

If they can do that whilst keep S650 good looking with good usability (trunk space, interior space etc), they'll have another winner on their hands.

If they don't come up with some lightweight improvements then I don't see a chance that the S650 will be lighter or even keep the current weight.

The S550 is a 60k$ car, at least in Europe, and it doesn’t even have front parking sensors, head-up displays (especially cables are quite heavy if you have too many of them), sunroof or other stuff that would add weight (and comfort). Given the fact that the S650 will be an “up-to-date” car and might even come with AWD I don’t see a chance the S650 will keep its weight unless they invest major money on lightweight materials or lightweight construction. Keep in mind that some rumors suggest an AWD, Hybrid, 4-door, luxury coupe… probably comes in as heavy as a M1 Abraham :D

Having a performance optimized S650 would most likely be welcomed. However, I think the majority of buyers worldwide would prefer a comfy version that offers performance when needed. Just look at all the very good selling “sporty” SUV’s (I’m looking at you X3 M, X5 M, GLC/GLE AMG, SQ7 and such... Hell, Corvette might consider a C8-SUV and I would bet it'll outsell the C8). Besides, most S650 will never see the track anyways…

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The major diff?
The S550 exists.
:)

So does S650........but only insiders have seen it ;)

I know Ford are clamping down hard on supplier leaks, but I bet that's how we get our first glimpse......whether it be the whole car, or just parts of it.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So does S650........but only insiders have seen it ;)

I know Ford are clamping down hard on supplier leaks, but I bet that's how we get our first glimpse......whether it be the whole car, or just parts of it.
Yeah, I remember when the Maverick was leaked, Ford clamped on hard. And arguably that's lot less important reveal than new Mustang, so I think you're right, we're gonna need some patience here.

Or better spies?
Sponsored