• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Difference between early S550 MT6 vs S650 MT6 gearing

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium Convertible
I recently read a post where he discussed the fact that Ford changed the gearing in the MT sometime after 2015 when my current car was built and now 1:1 is in 4th instead of 3rd gear.
Can anyone speak to this? What changes should I expect in drivability because of this?
I have 5:55s in my 2015 GT Vert now and I can start in 2nd gear if the road is flat. Just not very up on gearing and differences caused by the change.
Any info would be fantastic!
Sponsored

OP
OP
TripleshotMcC

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Grey One! That confirms the 1:1 at 4th on the new car.
Now I just need to find the similar chart for the 2015 S550 and maybe someone can comment on what the difference in driving experience is because of the changes.

OP
OP
TripleshotMcC

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Dena, looks like that info is still for the newer S550s. They changed sometime after 2015, not sure when. The newer S550s have the same gears at the S650 does.

OP
OP
TripleshotMcC

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it looks like the 2015s actually went 1:1 in 5th, not 4th like the new ones. I just don't know how that affects shift points, not so good with math.
S650 Mustang Difference between early S550 MT6 vs S650 MT6 gearing Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 3.54.17 PM

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
It really doesn't affect the shift points very much. The big difference was when ford got away from the 4 speed with third as the 1:1 gear. The original 302 had low end grunt were the the 5L needs RPMs to show it's stuff. To compare, what you probably want is
Old RPM/Old speed=New RPM/New speed OR
Old Speed/Old RPM=New Speed/New RPM
Algebra would allow you for example to rewrite the second formula as
(Old Speed*New RPM)/Old RPM=New Speed
This is assuming that you are using the same rear end. It's not difficult adding the rear end in but I am trying to keep it simple for now. No I am not exactly a math wiz but I had some Calculus and after that, brain rot sets in.

NVPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP
Thanks Grey One! That confirms the 1:1 at 4th on the new car.
Now I just need to find the similar chart for the 2015 S550 and maybe someone can comment on what the difference in driving experience is because of the changes.
I traded my 2015 PP MT which I bought in Oct 2014. I bought a 2024 PP MT in Oct. Both premium.
The difference in driving and shifting is stunning. I have Rev Match on which is a blast. bottom line, I don’t know how number or stats differences but I can say unequivocally the 2024 is just way more fun to drive, shifting, sound, speed just overall a much more fun car! If you love a manual, you won’t be disappointed.

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
After driving my ''24 PP vert with 3.73 rear gears, I still wish 5th gear was 1:1 instead of overdrive. The gap between 4 and 5th gear is too large in my opinion so I've been basically just driving it around like an old 4 speed. I have yet to need to shift into 6th while still on break-in, though I did try it once just to make sure it was in the gearbox!

NVPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP
After driving my ''24 PP vert with 3.73 rear gears, I still wish 5th gear was 1:1 instead of overdrive. The gap between 4 and 5th gear is too large in my opinion so I've been basically just driving it around like an old 4 speed. I have yet to need to shift into 6th while still on break-in, though I did try it once just to make sure it was in the gearbox!
I chalked that up to the horsepower difference. If your using 5th gear like you should then your probly doing well over a hundred and I personally don’t have a raceway nearby. On-ramps, off ramps and feeder roads but no where I can really get into 5th gear.

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
I chalked that up to the horsepower difference. If your using 5th gear like you should then your probly doing well over a hundred and I personally don’t have a raceway nearby. On-ramps, off ramps and feeder roads but no where I can really get into 5th gear.
Same here in south FL. Outside of jumping on I95 I usually just use the first 3 gears with an occasional shift into 4th.

OP
OP
TripleshotMcC

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone, I hope I am pleasantly surprised by an improvement. My build is w/3.55's again, like my 2015. I usually cruise in 5th, 60mph but regularly take it up to 100+, still in 5th, on a near-by 2 mile stretch with clear visibility for other traffic. I only shift to 6th at 120, and then have to start downshifting for the gate to our country club.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Thanks everyone, I hope I am pleasantly surprised by an improvement. My build is w/3.55's again, like my 2015. I usually cruise in 5th, 60mph but regularly take it up to 100+, still in 5th, on a near-by 2 mile stretch with clear visibility for other traffic. I only shift to 6th at 120, and then have to start downshifting for the gate to our country club.
i use 6th if I’m cruising on the hwy over 70mph. But that’s when I’m doing 6plus hour drives from NorCal to SoCal

OP
OP
TripleshotMcC

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For sure 6th on the freeways. But that's to save gas. Otherwise, I drive my Mustangs like I stole them.
Sponsored