• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Steering feel on s650 vs s550

Klipshpoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse HP
I loved the new steering at first.....then doubted it (as I got hooked on videos of the car).....and now I'm back to loving it with just driving the car.
Sponsored

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium 401a, Auto, AE, Atlas Blue
Coming from an 03 GT vert, I actually like the steering in the s650. I test drove a new 2023 Mach 1 and to me it was ok but what sold me on the s650 was the interior/creature comforts which seem far ahead of the s550. I also have a 2024 VW Atlas which believe it or not feels a lot like the Mustang. I was surprised but even wifey noticed it.. Go figure!

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
I wouldn't say it droned, but there was definitely a constant thrumming in the cabin particularly at highway speeds. Not like drone though, which is that obnoxious resonance that feels like someone's pressing a bass speaker up against your skull.
Sounds promising for the new Ecoboost. And that description for drone sounds like the current-gen WRX I test drove.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
I had a 15 GT PP and a a 20 GT350, also rented a new base EB S650 for just shy of a week not long ago. If I had to summarize the characteristics:

15 GT PP
- pros: very few; since feedback was nonexistent, it was laidback to operate at city speeds
- cons: the weighting felt super gummy and artificially heavy, on center lacked accuracy, mid-corner lacked intuitive linearity requiring constant mid corner adjustments even at basic cruising speeds, made highway driving a chore and you could never "tune out" if you wanted to maintain a laser accurate line mid curve
- overall: 4/10 for pushing, 5/10 for dailying

20 GT350
- pros: peak weighting was much lighter mode-for-mode vs the GT and way more natural in its ramp up, actually had some level of decent feedback from bumps, deflections, weight transfer, and scrub; on-center accuracy was much tighter but not ideal, but in combination with the feedback and weighting, at least you could easily stay locked to the center of a lane with one hand without having to focus much
- cons: still had a slow ratio; tramlining was a real nuisance, layer in said feedback on top and it was fatiguing on days where you were under the weather
- overall: 9/10 for pushing, 7/10 for dailying

24 EB Base
- pros: most accurate on-center, ratio is faster than S550's by just enough to be noticed and appreciated; resistance is lighter, but coupled with the improved accuracy and ratio, it's the least fussy to cruise in
- cons: yes, the steering is much lighter, but the issue is the lack of linearity in its build up (almost the same issue that the S550 GT had, just with less weight involved); it doesn't transmit any sensation of road surface, weight transfer, or increased turning lock; the steering weight change in the different modes is literally imperceptible, so you have a reduced range of configurability
- overall: 6/10 for pushing, 9/10 for dailying

The S650's steering feels like 90% of the EPAS racks fitted to other cars being produced these days. "Tight" inputs, featherweight resistance, easy to guide, dampened to create the sensation of refinement. It's just extremely generic, modern steering. Nothing to write home about.

But the steering was my least favorite aspect in that 15 GT, nothing redeeming, kept it in comfort mode because that was the least "fake" resistance level and sport mode should've been relabeled to "try hard" mode. The S650's steering is the lesser of two evils if I had to choose. It would be an annoyance on a track, but if you had to live with one on a road car, it's the better setup.

As someone who has owned an 18 PP1, driven an S650 GT, and own a GT350R ....I approve of this message.... very nice write up

The slightly stiffer springs and lighter wheels - and the pre GT500 knuckles (I have never driven a 20 R) create a slightly different feeling then the non R cars - but based on the 350 bases I have driven ....I feel your description is spot on....

I just wrote in another thread here I have a love hate relationship with my car lol - would NEVER daily it- its not fun in traffic or around town- but on the right road ...its amazing.....

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
As someone who has owned an 18 PP1, driven an S650 GT, and own a GT350R ....I approve of this message.... very nice write up

The slightly stiffer springs and lighter wheels - and the pre GT500 knuckles (I have never driven a 20 R) create a slightly different feeling then the non R cars - but based on the 350 bases I have driven ....I feel your description is spot on....

I just wrote in another thread here I have a love hate relationship with my car lol - would NEVER daily it- its not fun in traffic or around town- but on the right road ...its amazing.....
The S650 has long-term-girlfriend steering, the GT350/Rā€™s is one-night-stand-with-bipolar-disorder steering

Karguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
I had a 15 GT PP and a a 20 GT350, also rented a new base EB S650 for just shy of a week not long ago. If I had to summarize the characteristics:

15 GT PP
- pros: very few; since feedback was nonexistent, it was laidback to operate at city speeds
- cons: the weighting felt super gummy and artificially heavy, on center lacked accuracy, mid-corner lacked intuitive linearity requiring constant mid corner adjustments even at basic cruising speeds, made highway driving a chore and you could never "tune out" if you wanted to maintain a laser accurate line mid curve
- overall: 4/10 for pushing, 5/10 for dailying

20 GT350
- pros: peak weighting was much lighter mode-for-mode vs the GT and way more natural in its ramp up, actually had some level of decent feedback from bumps, deflections, weight transfer, and scrub; on-center accuracy was much tighter but not ideal, but in combination with the feedback and weighting, at least you could easily stay locked to the center of a lane with one hand without having to focus much
- cons: still had a slow ratio; tramlining was a real nuisance, layer in said feedback on top and it was fatiguing on days where you were under the weather
- overall: 9/10 for pushing, 7/10 for dailying

24 EB Base
- pros: most accurate on-center, ratio is faster than S550's by just enough to be noticed and appreciated; resistance is lighter, but coupled with the improved accuracy and ratio, it's the least fussy to cruise in
- cons: yes, the steering is much lighter, but the issue is the lack of linearity in its build up (almost the same issue that the S550 GT had, just with less weight involved); it doesn't transmit any sensation of road surface, weight transfer, or increased turning lock; the steering weight change in the different modes is literally imperceptible, so you have a reduced range of configurability
- overall: 6/10 for pushing, 9/10 for dailying

The S650's steering feels like 90% of the EPAS racks fitted to other cars being produced these days. "Tight" inputs, featherweight resistance, easy to guide, dampened to create the sensation of refinement. It's just extremely generic, modern steering. Nothing to write home about.

But the steering was my least favorite aspect in that 15 GT, nothing redeeming, kept it in comfort mode because that was the least "fake" resistance level and sport mode should've been relabeled to "try hard" mode. The S650's steering is the lesser of two evils if I had to choose. It would be an annoyance on a track, but if you had to live with one on a road car, it's the better setup.
I like your description and have to say the Mustang has no steering feel at allā€¦This does not give you confidence to push it and when the rear brakes out most likely you end in a spin because the steering ratio is slow tooā€¦I know the magazines always dodged BMW for lack of steering feel but at least the rear does not come as quick as a Mustang or Corvette and with the quick ratio you can catch the rear ! As with the Mustang it is a cruiser and when you go fast the front pushes which you can hear and feel when the car goes wideā€¦On the track the S550 never gave me confidence and according to Throttle House the S650 is worse masked by the super sticky Trofeos on the DH which are probably good for 3-5 seconds a lap depending on how many fast turns you encounterā€¦

Karguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forget to mention the tramlining which has nothing to do with steering feel but probably the geometry of the steering knuckles on the front suspension because the GT350 I drove tramlined badly as the DH where the SS1LE ok only 285 on front or Challenger WB with 305 non at allā€¦

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I like your description and have to say the Mustang has no steering feel at allā€¦This does not give you confidence to push it and when the rear brakes out most likely you end in a spin because the steering ratio is slow tooā€¦I know the magazines always dodged BMW for lack of steering feel but at least the rear does not come as quick as a Mustang or Corvette and with the quick ratio you can catch the rear ! As with the Mustang it is a cruiser and when you go fast the front pushes which you can hear and feel when the car goes wideā€¦On the track the S550 never gave me confidence and according to Throttle House the S650 is worse masked by the super sticky Trofeos on the DH which are probably good for 3-5 seconds a lap depending on how many fast turns you encounterā€¦
Complete and utter rubbish

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Forget to mention the tramlining which has nothing to do with steering feel but probably the geometry of the steering knuckles on the front suspension because the GT350 I drove tramlined badly as the DH where the SS1LE ok only 285 on front or Challenger WB with 305 non at allā€¦
My S550 doesn't tramline on standard setup with Continental tyres. If you mess with the car geometry, lower it add spacers and wider front tyres then you get what you asked for.

Not sure why you are constantly moaning about Mustangs on a Mustang forum, go and play with your Dodge friends instead.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
If they didnā€™t leave us anything to adjust it may have cost a tad more ā€¦

Karguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they didnā€™t leave us anything to adjust it may have cost a tad more ā€¦
I think prices are high enough that they should charge for steering feel and no tramlining extraā€¦šŸ˜‰

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I also find an alignment improves steering feel/response- these cars love negative camber.
I concur. I put the Steeda Ultimate Handling springs, BMR CB005, and Vorshlag Camber Plates and dialed in almost 3 degrees camber front with zero toe and 2 degrees in the back and the car feels very good with 305 squared. It even tramlines much less than stock.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I think prices are high enough that they should charge for steering feel and no tramlining extraā€¦šŸ˜‰
Performance pack add on šŸ„²šŸ™ƒ. Although so far iā€™ve been able to feel where iā€™m going each time i close my eyes. I havenā€™t experienced the same level of tramlining in ours when compared to what is experienced on, letā€™s say, a bike (motorcycle) crossing a metal-grated bridge.
Sponsored