• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Which 7G Mustang To Buy?

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Go for the Blue Ember Dark Horse and don't look back... Not that it matters, I would think a well taken care of DH would probably hold value better than a standard GT
Sponsored

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
buying it for 10-15% off MSRP.

The price hike for 'premium' content, is a giant ripoff. If you want good seat covering, Katzkin or similar. .
Sorry Toad, gotta disagree. Torsen, Brembo's, spoiler, and I've never seen Katzkins fit as good (tight) as factory. Also, doesn't the PP come with some extra coolers?

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Sorry Toad, gotta disagree. Torsen, Brembo's, spoiler, and I've never seen Katzkins fit as good (tight) as factory. Also, doesn't the PP come with some extra coolers?
Katzkin fit is up to the installer. Guy in Rockville on the other side of the tracks from the new Lotus dealership is an absolute ace.

PP comes with a bigger (thicker) radiator which is pointless in street use. The Brembos and rotors can be had for $700 from Shelby take-offs. or $1000 from RockAuto. All the other PP1 bits are trivially sourced and installed.

True the Torsen is $800 and the install can double that depending if you're installing new 4.09 or 3.73 gear set.

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
It's worth it to me not to have to source and have installed all the goodies.
I will have other goodies to install eventually :)
Did you see the Lethal performance guy went 9.78@138+ in his whippled S650? I think all he added was 2000HP axles and rear wheels and tires.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
In regards to long term reliability, would a GT be more or less reliable than an EcoBoost? (I think I already know the answer, but just want to find out what others have learned over years of ownership.)

Radiant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ecoboost Convertible (ordered), '18 Ecoboost
anything Turbo is by definition less reliable.
The 2024 Ecoboost is also a new engine with internal exhaust gas recirculation and a twin-scroll turbocharger adding more potential points-of-failure. That said, I ordered one! I have an S550 Ecoboost with 44k miles, no issues, and the S650 is a new car with a warranty.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I decided to keep my '15 GT for now. Despite a whole laundry list of problems, I decided to bring her back.

I fixed the mechanical problems and AC + vent control problems. Replaced the valve covers and gaskets (they were loose, dripping on the exhaust manifold and smoking), replaced clutch and throwout (clutch was nearing EOL). I replaced all the interior trim that was messed up - including the shifter assembly (FL sun caused a lot of it to peel up and look like crap). AC high side line was replaced, then I shoved a shitload of AC sealant in the system, and now it holds freon again, which is nice in FL. New exhaust (MBRP street) to replace the shitty Gibson exhaust that droned terribly all the time. Black tips to go with my new blacked out look for the car.

I replaced the stereo with an 8" Sync 3 unit with the drive modes from 4dtech. That also fixed the problem with the old unit where the vent controller didn't work right - my old 4" unit was partly fried. I replaced a lot of the external bits - heat extractors, spoiler, decklid, and blacked out the emblems - FL sun had damaged a lot of those too. Touched up the wheels and put new wheel caps in them. Put in new speakers and amp + sub to replace the blown stock speakers. Used Cerakote to bring back the headlights and the plastic trim. Black trim, now, and clear headlights.

I'm having the roof paint resprayed now - it's in the body shop for that. There was severe oxidation and some clearcoat peeling there.

Here's a pic of it with everything fixed except the roof paint. I get it back next week, and should be good as new.

Wasn't cheap, even doing everything myself except the clutch (I don't have the equipment to drop a transmission) and the paint work.

All in for about $6k to resurrect my 2015 back to new-ish. But that's probably better than $55-60k difference on a new DH or $35-$40k difference on a decently optioned GT. And if I ever do trade it in a couple years from now, it won't be a steaming pile of garbage. And it all probably beats having a car note again. Haven't had one in 8 years.

I'll wait around for a better opportunity to buy something new. Hopefully Ford releases a model that catches my interest. Until then, I am happy to have brought my old girl back to life again. She drives great again, sounds great, and looks great - even better when the roof oxidation is gone.

S650 Mustang Which 7G Mustang To Buy? b2b66f33-c2a0-4f4e-a01b-6023382837dd (1)

Last edited:
OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT