• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
Don't misunderstand, I will probably be in neutral at the lights. My point is would Ford implement an auto stop feature on a manual transmission vehicle that REQUIRED you to be in neutral when big brother says you should not do that as part of your safe driving habits.
Given the original statement that Ford already does this on other cars...then yes. And again, why not, based on how @bloominguez described it?
Sponsored

bloominguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Given the original statement that Ford already does this on other cars...then yes. And again, why not, based on how @bloominguez described it?
Interesting side note I forgot to mention. The ASS feature is actually nice to have if you're teaching someone how to drive a manual.

Situation: Learner releases the clutch pedal, stalls car. Maybe he/she is panicked because traffic situation is dictating that they should go. Good news: As soon as he/she pushes the clutch pedal back in, the car starts right up, automatically! Ready to go, no need to press the ignition button (thinking about a newer car, obviously).

bloominguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't misunderstand, I will probably be in neutral at the lights. My point is would Ford implement an auto stop feature on a manual transmission vehicle that REQUIRED you to be in neutral when big brother says you should not do that as part of your safe driving habits.
Ah, I see your point now.
Although if that were a concern then the ASS (I trademarked that term on the Bronco forum, and I'll do it here, too!) feature on automatics would be just as bad (unsafe) if not even worse (because in a manual you could press the clutch and get the engine started while still fully stopped, in advance of when you needed to move), would it not?
It's almost like the government cares about environmental concerns more than human safety concerns... (careful, this could veer out of control) :)

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
But in a manual you have to be at a stop with car in neutral and foot off clutch pedal (clutch engaged) before the engine shuts down.
This is how I already operate my car, as this saves wear and tear on the throw out bearing, so having the "ASS" kick in would be fine with me.

...press the clutch (car starts), put the car in gear, and go... In a manual YOU control when the engine shuts down, or not, and can make sure it starts well before you need it.
This works for me!

I would have preferred that they put the "ASS" in the Dark Horse with manual and drop the gas guzzler tax. But, alas it is not to be.

Apologies for the puns, I just couldn't help myself, LOL!!

Thanks bloominguez for letting me use your trademark.

Last edited:

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Took my drivers test in a manual, hundred or so years ago and was docked for having the car in neutral at a stop light. Reasoning given is you are not prepared to take action if necessary. So Ford implementing that with requirement that you be in neutral seems strange.
So the thought process of your driving instructor back then preferred you burn out your clutch faster as opposed to taking 0.5 seconds to shift into 1st? I think you did the right thing.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Ah, I see your point now.
Although if that were a concern then the ASS (I trademarked that term on the Bronco forum, and I'll do it here, too!) feature on automatics would be just as bad (unsafe) if not even worse (because in a manual you could press the clutch and get the engine started while still fully stopped, in advance of when you needed to move), would it not?
Same category as cags - get it out of my car.

To avoid a gas guzzler tax, Xxxxxxxxx invented a skip-shift device on its manual transmission cars called Computer-Aided Gear Selection, or CAGS. CAGS forces you to shift your manual Xxxxx from first to fourth (rather than second or third) = first mod.

Last edited:

bloominguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same category as cags - get it out of my car.

To avoid a gas guzzler tax, Xxxxxxxxx invented a skip-shift device on its manual transmission cars called Computer-Aided Gear Selection, or CAGS. CAGS forces you to shift your manual Xxxxx from first to fourth (rather than second or third) = first mod.
I'm old enough to remember that feature, although I never owned one of those cars. More reviled than ASS for sure.
Sponsored