• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on Paint Protection - Wrap, Ceramic, Teflon,...

designatedrhythm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost/Chevy Silverado 1500 RST
Ive done 3 vehicles with Ceramic myself. One with Car Pro cquartz 3, two with Adams Advanced Graphene Ceramic. Coating the car is not hard, and once you figure out the flash time of the product, the risk of high spots is very low and you can get into a rhythm. I ceramic coated my wife's car in about 2 hours.

The real time involved is the paint correction. A new car needs a light polish after a decon to get the paint to shine and pop and beleive me you will see scratches from the factory. That should only take a few hours. If it's a used car that's another story. We bought a used mini cooper Clubman S for my wife and while mechanically it's great, the previous owner must have machine washed it every week because the paint had scratches everywhere. I spent about 16 hours getting the paint right. Looks almost brand new now though and it's a 2017.

I enjoy the cost savings and the satisfaction that I know how to do it myself so I don't think I would ever take it to the shop to get it done.
Sponsored

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
I’d like to revive this thread and ask: what consumer-apply wax products do you guys prefer? Specifically for a black car, but I’ll take recommendations from people without black cars of course.

I’ve been washing and waxing my black Lexus myself while I’ve owned it. I’ve been using the Turtle Shine stuff from O’Reilly’s, along with the wash mitts and other detailing products they sell. I’m not sure if there’s anything I’d be better off using, especially with a brand new black car.

Im seeing quite a few auto Youtubers promote Avalon King, but I’m automatically skeptical of anything sponsoring a YouTube channel. If you guys think Avalon or Chemical Bros or other YT promoted products are good, I’ll probably give them a shot. I’d love to hear what you guys use and suggest!

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
If I had the money of course I'd cover the whole thing but at the end of the day I'd rather spend it on performance not paint.
don’t forget: a freshly waxed or ceramic coated car is faster - less wind resistance :dance:

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Chemical guys butter wet wax.
My last 2 cars were black and dark blue, it was easy to apply and kept the car perfect.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Has anyone seen a pre-cut ppf kit for sale anywhere for a 2024? I'm thinking of selling my 2019 EcoBoost and picking up a 2024 GT. The one I'm looking at is black, and of course black looks great when it is clean - keeping it clean is another matter. But I also want to put some of the paint protection film on the front bumper, hood front, A pillars and over the windshield to protect it from chips.

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
I’d like to revive this thread and ask: what consumer-apply wax products do you guys prefer? Specifically for a black car, but I’ll take recommendations from people without black cars of course.
Best I've ever used is Zaino. The triplet kit is nothing short of stunning.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
As many of us are preparing to (hopefully) take delivery of our new Mustangs soon, I'm wondering what this forum's thoughts are on some form of treatment for the paint? I'm not keen on a wrap although some seem to think that's the best option. My main concern is bugs, much less than rocks, so leaning toward a ceramic spray, but also torn on DIY or Detail shop. Sounded like Telfon needs to be re-apply fairly often. Thoughts?

PPF the front of the rear wheels on the quarter panel, especially if you run wider more aggressive wheels. The rear quarter panel in front of the wheels take a beating.

Jays Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse
So, can u guys still take the ppf or ceramic car thru an automatic car wash? I really really want less maintenance and hand washing at home is a no go due to well water.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Didn't want to start a new thread so thought I'd jump into this one for a quick opinion. After already sustaining 2 large rock chips and numerous smaller ones I have decided to have paint correction and full body PPF done. Shop near me uses XPEL which appears to be of the best per a Google search. Does anyone have experience with XPEL? Is their clear wrap really clear (not yellowish)? How good is the self-healing? I want to keep the luster of the rapid red paint, but I'm tired of stressing about rocks and road debris hitting the side of my car every time I want to take her out and enjoy her. I think for $2-3k its worth it to get it done right and be able to still enjoy the car. Appreciate any comments or answers to my questions.

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Shop near me uses XPEL which appears to be of the best per a Google search. Does anyone have experience with XPEL? Is their clear wrap really clear (not yellowish)? How good is the self-healing? I want to keep the luster of the rapid red paint, but I'm tired of stressing about rocks and road debris hitting the side of my car every time I want to take her out and enjoy her. I think for $2-3k its worth it to get it done right and be able to still enjoy the car. Appreciate any comments or answers to my questions.
Had my 2008 Roush done with Expel. Didn't do a full wrap, just the areas prone to stone throws, etc. Decided to remove it in 2022, as it began to yellow a bit. It protected the front of the car and mirror housings perfectly, no complaints. For the S650, I'll be doing a professional ceramic coating, with 10 year warranty.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
I had PPF done just in front of the rear wheels on the 1/4 panel. Im glad I did...that area eats rocks.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I had PPF done just in front of the rear wheels on the 1/4 panel. Im glad I did...that area eats rocks.
Which brand did you go with?

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
I did Xpel as I have had it on other cars. One of my cars is white with no yellowing in 5 years. The MY24 I had the A pillars and 1 foot of the roof done as Ford has raised the roof and is more exposed to chips. The hood was done from the vent down. The vent is painted and was done. The front grill is painted and required 12 individual pieces to protect properly. Head lights and back of mirrors are a must. Lower rear quarters in front of the wheels done. My 2011 was on 12 years and redone as it was showing some age as Xpel had later improvements that I wanted. The AZ heat and granite rocks on the side areas of the express ways really will chip the whole front of the car. I paid $800 and the guy has experience for 20 years.
Sponsored

Last edited: