• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Serious questio, when does the bitching end? What are you're long term plans if you're not interested in what the Mustang has to offer?
it will end when I'm damn good and ready! :) probably the day the production model is revealed and we see that Ford has gone back and fixed all their mistakes (and those hard lessons learned by VW).

The S550 is totally acceptable to me so I will be buying those used if need be. I can't stand the S650 bodywork either so it's not just the dash that is the death knell of future purchase.

Just yesterday I came across an Acura that looked the spitting image of the ghastly S650 front-end. I literally screetched to a halt, jumped out and took a picture of it because it was uncanny how similar it looked. I'll post it on the more topical threads later.
Sponsored

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Um, well, keep what I have indefinitely and never buy a new Mustang again, because no physical controls for HVAC and sound system outside stupid touchscreens is a deal breaker?

I get you not wanting that in a Mustang. But what are you going to do for a new daily in say 10 years? Everything will be full touchscreen by then.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
no amount of calm, soothing voice is going to change the intensity of opprobrium, the rending of garments, the wailing and donning of sack cloth.
This is the funniest shit I've heard in a while. Thank you for that - I intend on using this line in future.

With that said, if I got a good laugh out of it, I guess this thread has served its purpose.

mjr1989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack
one word.
INTEGRATION.
thats all im saying. maybe they can make it "look" like it belongs there, and not an "oh we forgot something" approach. i want to drive the car not play i-racing. digital is going to be the future, ok we get that. just make it look pretty. if i want 2 ipads setting on my dash then ill put them there myself.
i would buy this car no problem. the interior (sans dash) looks great. the dash is the only thing holding me back....the most important thing you would be staring at ALL the time you would want to be at least pleasing to your eyes right?
My thoughts exactly. I don't really mind digital displays and I understand that they are the future, but I can't stand the execution here. The Bullitt/GT500/Mach 1 digital dash is better than this. The stuck-on tablet look is hideous.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
So...
Serious questio, when does the bitching end? What are you're long term plans if you're not interested in what the Mustang has to offer?
Hanging around on the web and peeing on other people's trees is a plan, isn't it?

Well, isn't it?

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
Okay so 2 things from my side.

1. I am actually fine with the dashboard as I like the modern look. I think what this Mustang should have gotten as well is a HUD, which is pretty much standard these days. Maybe that is something we will get in the Facelift model

2. I got you that some of you say " the dashboards look misplaced", but honestly there are far worse tablets/screens being put in a car. So It ain't that bad in the Mustang.

Before the official launch and leaks, I thought that we might see something like the new Ford Ranger, as this screen somehow looks like the Mustang Mach E (but more vertical) and I wouldn't have loved that at all.

However I like the shift knob which reminds me of an Audi. The current knob still looks too massive, but that is another topic.

S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO new ranger.JPG

OP
OP
Ericc B

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
With that said, I've never heard or read a 911 enthusiast say they wouldn't buy the latest iteration because the dash has been modernized.
That's because contrary to Ford Porsche actually employs highly professional design managers, who know into their deepest cores what a 911 is and how they can modernize and evolve it within the heritage, both exterior and interior wise. And time and again they do a masterful job at this with every new iteration.

Ford designer management simply has no clue. In the German market introduction video the head of design for S650 actually admitted that early 2020 they got stuck with the design, corralled a bunch of millennial employees for a clinic and let them choose. He literally said that.

And so we ended up with a Camaro with a Kia dashboard.

Last edited:

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
That's because contrary to Ford Porsche actually employs highly professional design managers, who know into their deepest cores what a 911 is and how they can modernize and evolve it within the heritage, both exterior and interior wise. And time and again they do a masterful job at this with every new iteration.

Ford designer management simply has no clue. In the German market introduction video the head of design for S650 actually admitted that early 2020 they got stuck with the design, corralled a bunch of millennial employees for a clinic and let them choose. He literally said that.

And so we ended up with a Camaro with a BMW dashboard.

You're so full of vitriol for millennials and for the S650 - quite unnecessarily so I might add. Now THAT's sad.

You can keep calling it a Camaro all you want, it won't make it true. It looks a lot more like late 60s Mustangs than a modern Camaro. The hips (which are almost identical to your S550) are very similar to the '67 Fastback - and the rear taillights even more so.

Same question for you - what do you plan on getting out of all this? Ford doesn't care, I'm willing to bet the majority of members on here don't care, and the public in general sure as hell doesn't care about your irrational hatred for this car.

OP
OP
Ericc B

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
Same question for you - what do you plan on getting out of all this?
If you think that Ford doesn't care about people's opinion on the new design you couldn't be more wrong. At this very moments plans for the S650 facelift are being developed. Social media reactions and forums like this are being monitored extensively.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
I get you not wanting that in a Mustang. But what are you going to do for a new daily in say 10 years? Everything will be full touchscreen by then.
True, and if I need a new car by then, then I will have to 'accept' it, because of no other choice. IMO, I believe that some s650 buyers will also 'accept' it, even if they really don't like it. Right now. however, there is another choice and Ford should have made it so to keep the Mustang what should be ... a MUSTANG.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
If you think that Ford doesn't care about people's opinion on the new design you couldn't be more wrong. At this very moments plans for the S650 facelift are being developed. Social media reactions and forums like this are being monitored extensively.

I very HIGHLY doubt the dash will be drastically revised so as to re-incorporate a double brow though.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
True, and if I need a new car by then, then I will have to 'accept' it, because of no other choice. IMO, I believe that some s650 buyers will also 'accept' it, even if they really don't like it. Right now. however, there is another choice and Ford should have made it so to keep the Mustang what should be ... a MUSTANG.
So S650 isn't a Mustang? Got it. Makes complete sense. Will your teachings on Mustang be available via podcast or audio cassette? Being an old school guy, I'm guess cassette.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Yeah, everyone on the Internet imagines that if their voices are louder and more vitriolic than everyone else's that will impress the market researchers who watch social media. In fact, the more unequivocal and over-the-top, the less interest anyone has in the comments; rants are outliers.

Forums are barely considered social media, BTW. What's being watched is mainly Twitter, Instagram, Facebook et al. where a single remark or conversation generates trends. A few unhappy folks posting on message boards are just noise.

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned New Coke yet. New Coke is right up there with the Edsel as a go-to example of corporations misjudging public taste and rolling back expensive mistakes. The reason those few examples keep popping up is that such dramatic turnarounds are very much the exception; you can't come up with more than a couple that are both so cut-and-dried and on such a scale that they're comparable.

Hell, GM's even kept the current Camaro going for years with tweaks. :wink:

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
So S650 isn't a Mustang? Got it. Makes complete sense. Will your teachings on Mustang be available via podcast or audio cassette? Being an old school guy, I'm guess cassette.
More like in between cassette and 8-track, but I never said it wasn't a Mustang; it obvious is because it says so somewhere on it. Everything does not have to move into the future, it can stay with its roots and be what it was born to be, just better and more advanced. As I have said before, and still believe it to be true, if Ford offered two versions of this interior, one with a 'similar' dash board to the s550, but with the same exterior (which I am growing to like more and more), the majority of people would buy the Mustang with the s550-ish dash ... again, IMO.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I’m sure Ford cares more about sales numbers and customer surveys than general public opinion.
Sponsored