• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Stiff shifting with Tremec trans

Iceman28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang Dark Horse
My gear box is very stiff to shift. I have a 1,000 miles on it and it doesn't feel any better from when it was new. Has anyone had this issue and changed the fluid and got better results?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
2022 with a Tremec. From pick-up and very early-on, the trans was notchy. It was difficult to find gears (sometimes) when cold. After a few hundred miles, she began smoothing out and was doing fine by the 1000 mi / 1600 km mark. I considered my experience normal.

Mine currently feels firm and purposeful with a touch of notchyness. I like it. The experience is not one where I feel awkward when moving through gears or like I'm forcing anything.

My gear box is very stiff to shift.
Do you feel like you are binding? Forcing shifts? Missing shifts? Sounds? Feel anything in the shift knob? How is the clutch pedal action? Master cylinder, clutch fluid level?

In the Mach 1s, some EUR customers had reported whining and other noises in different gears, or when applying the slightest pressure left or right to the shift knob; this was often related to a linkage alignment issue.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/second-gear-hiss-on-a-mach-1-with-tremec.178755/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-whine.173575/

I'm not aware of any recalls or TSBs or recalls for the trans.

https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/threads/tsbs-ssms-and-recalls-for-the-24-mustang.157809/

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
Time. Mine first started feeling better at 1200 miles and now at over 3K itā€™s pretty darn good/great

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you are used to the MT82, the Tremec is a little stiffer and functions better with a somewhat more deliberate shifting style (ie shifts are a little slower in order to be smooth). The Tremec is also somewhat more cold blooded.

It will get better over time. At least it did in my GT350. But the MT82 is just a really good and smooth shifting transmission, so it's tough to beat it for street driving.

On the bright side, the Tremec LOVES heat and track days. On a hot day in traffic or after a little warm up on track it will be super smooth. And you will never have an issue with it getting too hot on track and becoming stiff or not releasing a gear when the transmission is warm.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
My transmission was a bit stiff at first but it has become a real pleasure to shift at 1,000 miles. Remember that my trip to work is only 3 miles but it's stop and go so I probably have near 1,000 trips through the gears.
Yesterday I was parked and managed to get the gears out of alignment. That's normal for a manual and I applied the fix of putting the transmission in neutral, letting the clutch out to get the gears spinning, push the clutch in and drop in into gear.
If you are in a real cold climate, the transmission may be a little difficult to operate until you get it warmed up. My transmission tends to be above 60 degrees at the coldest so at that temperature the automatic transmission fluid they use in it remains pretty thin. If your car gets below freezing, expect it to be a little difficult until it warms up.

OP
OP

Iceman28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang Dark Horse
I changed the fluid at 2000 miles to Redline ATF D6. What a difference! The ATF Ford puts in the gearbox might be good for automatics, it's not very good in a manual. I was sometimes getting borderline gear grinding on shifts, not now. The shift quality is vastly improved. It didn't improve the stiff shifting though. The GT350 forum says it takes up to 3000 miles for the gearbox to break in. Money well spent.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
I changed the fluid at 2000 miles to Redline ATF D6. What a difference! The ATF Ford puts in the gearbox might be good for automatics, it's not very good in a manual. I was sometimes getting borderline gear grinding on shifts, not now. The shift quality is vastly improved. It didn't improve the stiff shifting though. The GT350 forum says it takes up to 3000 miles for the gearbox to break in. Money well spent.
That's good to hear. My Tremec started breaking in around 750 miles where I could tell a noticeable, pleasant difference. It's pretty much the reason I bought the car and it has not let me down.

TheCur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wild Cherry Tintcoat ZL1 M6
A lot people switch to Redline / Royal Purple and report positive results (especially when cold).

I switched to Tremec's own HP-MTF after emailing them for a bit, and feel it's slightly better when cold, but overall a positive change for short money.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
When you say stiff are you saying fingertip/wrist vs full hand while shifting?

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Redline in MT82 makes things feel right. Never looked back to what Ford used.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Acknowledging not the same - like?

S650 Mustang Stiff shifting with Tremec trans cd
Sponsored