• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 production ending in 2028 - according to new union contract

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
the electrolyte. ice crystals breach the barrier and now you're sitting on a VERY unstable fire starter. The pack dare not freeze. Ever. The cars have circuitry to run the heating elements and circulate the coolant to keep the pack from succumbing. Which of course drains the battery.
You need to do some better research as this is patently untrue.

EV batteries in cars are not heated to prevent freezing. They can be pre-conditioned to warm them up and improve efficiency when tethered but this doesn't happen when just parked up. Norway has much colder temperatures than us in the UK (similar to Canada) and they have more EV's than any other country. I have a PHEV and the battery is never heated by the car overnight and it works fine the next day.

Most EV batteries function down to around -30C without damage and there are no 'ice' crystals as there is no water present
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Indeed

It has been like that since the magneto was removed in favour of a generator / alternator 100+ years ago.

Stick to lawnmowers!
Battery

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't even manage a sentence now?

Not sure the point you are trying to make or are all batteries evil and the work of the devil? You do know your phone / PC has a battery?
You asked for an explanation how ice is restricted by a battery and then you explained it yourself.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Maybe it has to do with being in the great state of Colorado *, but I've not witnessed anything negative with EVs during Winter. YMMV.

Safety. Occasionally during the Winter, I will encounter temperatures as cold as -10F / -23C. I routinely leave my cell phone in my truck. People leave their EVs parked outside. Modern lithium (key word) batteries are formed as a paste and have unique chemical makeups. These differ from the old style alkaline batteries which will freeze and burst at low temperatures.

Specialized heating. Any battery will lose a certain amount of capacity operating outside of its primarily-designed range, hot or cold. Some manufacturers will include heating elements to heat the battery, to advance range. In general, the car looks at the battery and sees it down 20% due to extreme (key word) cold. The car expels 5% of its reserve to heat the battery, increasing the range a net of 15%. I'm generalizing, but you get the idea. For people pushing the range limit of their EVs in extreme temps, this might be an issue.

I think any vehicle is going to have concerns at certain temps. ICE engine block heater plugs are common in certain environments. Thinking ahead of where to hock up or blanket the engine can be a PITA. As well as my truck is maintained and as light a load that there is, it often just turns over at -10F.

I'll let the discussion of union contracts continue. Have a great week everyone. :like:. :clap:

*Please don't move here. We have too many people already. :giggle:

-20 (extreme cold)
---
- 5 (heating)
---
+20 (heating gains)
---

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it has to do with being in the great state of Colorado *, but I've not witnessed anything negative with EVs during Winter. YMMV.

Safety. Occasionally during the Winter, I will encounter temperatures as cold as -10F / -23C. I routinely leave my cell phone in my truck. People leave their EVs parked outside. Modern lithium (key word) batteries are formed as a paste and have unique chemical makeups. These differ from the old style alkaline batteries which will freeze and burst at low temperatures.

Specialized heating. Any battery will lose a certain amount of capacity operating outside of its primarily-designed range, hot or cold. Some manufacturers will include heating elements to heat the battery, to advance range. In general, the car looks at the battery and sees it down 20% due to extreme (key word) cold. The car expels 5% of its reserve to heat the battery, increasing the range a net of 15%. I'm generalizing, but you get the idea. For people pushing the range limit of their EVs in extreme temps, this might be an issue.

I think any vehicle is going to have issues at certain temps. ICE engine block heater plugs are common in certain environments. Thinking ahead of where to hock up or blanket the engine can be a concern. As well as my truck is maintained and as light a load that there is, it often just turns over at -10F.

I'll let the discussion of union contracts continue. Have a great week everyone. :like:. :clap:

*Please don't move here. We have too many people already. :giggle:

-20 (extreme cold)
---
- 5 (heating)
---
+20 (heating gains)
---
The volt has the best battery management.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I didn't. You just kept posting random words which made no sense.
Start your car, remove the battery, turn off the car, leave the battery out (you are herby restricted from using one), start your car.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Really? They are investing massive amounts of money in EV's and introducing new models at an incredible rate.
they have indeed SPENT a lot of money developing EVs. What they haven’t done(except for Tesla, which has this down) is PROFIT from them directly(not including government assistance and tax breaks, just actual profit from sales).

hence the souring. EVs are a beast.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
they have indeed SPENT a lot of money developing EVs. What they haven’t done(except for Tesla, which has this down) is PROFIT from them directly(not including government assistance and tax breaks, just actual profit from sales).

hence the souring. EVs are a beast.
That is how business works. You invest in new areas and then reap the rewards later.

There is no 'souring'. Loads of new models coming to the market, sales huge and rising. Sales don't lie.
Sponsored