• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
According to Ford Authority and their sources, it looks like the Mustang will stay on a unique chassis that instead incorporates elements from the CD6. This calms my fears about the Mustang becoming too large and gaining too much weight. What about you guys?

Ford Has No Plans To Use CD6 Platform For Smaller Vehicles: Exclusive (fordauthority.com)

S650 Mustang Report: S650 Mustang To Use Unique Platform with CD6 Architectural Bits Explorer-Exterior-Front-Three-Quarters-001-758x505

The Ford CD6 Platform was designed from the start to be a flexible one, capable of being used in a wide variety of vehicle applications. But as of right now, the CD6 Platform only underpins two vehicles – the Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator, both of which were all-new from the ground up for the 2020 model year. Since this platform is rumored to be very flexible, it would make sense for Ford to use it for smaller vehicles, but that doesn’t appear to be likely at this point.
S650 Mustang Report: S650 Mustang To Use Unique Platform with CD6 Architectural Bits 2020-Lincoln-Aviator-Exterior-001-1024x663

Ford Authority has exclusively learned from sources familiar with product plans that there are currently no plans to use the CD6 Platform for smaller vehicles, for example Ford Edge and Lincoln Nautilus replacements. In fact, the only forthcoming model that will utilize the platform is the next-gen, S650 2023 Ford Mustang, but from what we understand, that vehicle will not represent a “pure” implementation of of the CD6 architecture. Instead, the S650 pony will continue utilizing a specific platform with elements borrowed from CD6, as well as other models.

S650 Mustang Report: S650 Mustang To Use Unique Platform with CD6 Architectural Bits land-Oregon-Drive-004-rear-three-quarters-1024x588

The CD6 is a scalable vehicle architecture designed to underpin mid-size and full-size vehicles of all types. It succeeds the Ford CD3, CD4, D3, D4 platforms and is currently used for SUVs only.
One of the primary purposes of the Ford CD6 platform is to drive scale economies even further by sharing parts with other vehicles. In that regard, CD6 is not so much a platform as it is a flexible vehicle set – a characteristic that allows it to share many parts in what would traditionally be disparate vehicles and platforms.

S650 Mustang Report: S650 Mustang To Use Unique Platform with CD6 Architectural Bits 2020-Lincoln-Aviator-Grand-Touring-015-1024x597

One of its key features is its ability to support both transverse, front-wheel-drive, or longitudinal rear-wheel-drive powerplants, allowing it to adapt to all types of applications. However, at least for now, it doesn’t appear that Ford intends to use it as such.
Sponsored

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
OP
OP
Rinzler

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
That supports what's been suggested elsewhere, and then repeated here (by myself and others)...........that S650 will utilize the current DC2 architecture, but use elements of CD6.
Which I think is a bit unfortunate. I wish there was justification to create a lighter, stiffer platform for the S650.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Am I the only one that's happy that the Mustang is going to have its own platform as apposed to sharing one with the Explorer?

Also just because it has its own platform doesn't mean it's going to gain weight. If anything, not sharing a platform with a 7 seater SUV is a good thing for weight. If you have to build your Mustang chassis on the same platform as a 2.5 ton vehicle, you're pretty much stuck with alot of unwanted weight.

mustangfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Definitely an interesting read and a positive development that the CD6 platform will not be used in it's entirety for the S650 which as others have indicated has been discussed previously.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
That supports what's been suggested elsewhere, and then repeated here (by myself and others)...........that S650 will utilize the current DC2 architecture, but use elements of CD6.
I am no longer in touch with anyone in the industry or media... BUT...

The S650 was developed along side the S550. To be honest, the S650 is simply all the lightweighting and improvements the S550’s target price couldn’t support pre-2015.

The future of the Mustang will likely be based on 3 separate wheelbases. The GT350 (yes it’s coming back) and GT500 will likely be a shortened 105” wheelbase to support a REAL 2-seat design.

the base Mustang, EB, GT and Special Editions will remain on the 107” wheelbase.

The last option will support Electic and Gas 4-door and 5-door Crossover options on a 110-112” wheelbase.

The GT350 has a 3 year grace period for production Motorsport. I expect the GT350 to release with the S650 for 2022-‘23.

There is a big OHV V8 headed for the Mustang in 2022. It could be headed the Mustang XL or the 111 inch model, perhaps a HiPo version of the XL?

That’s all I have.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Am I the only one that's happy that the Mustang is going to have its own platform as apposed to sharing one with the Explorer?

Also just because it has its own platform doesn't mean it's going to gain weight. If anything, not sharing a platform with a 7 seater SUV is a good thing for weight. If you have to build your Mustang chassis on the same platform as a 2.5 ton vehicle, you're pretty much stuck with alot of unwanted weight.
I think this paragraph from the article would address that concern:

"One of the primary purposes of the Ford CD6 platform is to drive scale economies even further by sharing parts with other vehicles. In that regard, CD6 is not so much a platform as it is a flexible vehicle set – a characteristic that allows it to share many parts in what would traditionally be disparate vehicles and platforms."

It's more a parts platform than a chassis platform. It lets them produce vehicles of varying configuration with as few unique elements as possible. If a Mustang had been built completely using the CD6 architecture, it would still have its own unibody, not a truck frame. A lot of the weight is in the steel frame and steel panels. An S650 that's identical to the S550 in every way except with aluminum bones/skin, would be significantly lighter. It would be more expensive, so I don't see it happening. Can't sell $25k Ecoboost models with all aluminum underpinnings.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
We need to put an end to this total misconception that CD6 would mean a larger and heavier Mustang... just because it's current users are the larger Explorer and Aviator. CD6 is scalable in length and width... it does not mean a larger or heavier Mustang (and CD6 is certainly *not* a truck!).
So instead, or at least as a temporary step for a few years, we get yet another hack update to the current architecture... which started dumbing down the terrific DEW98 (which lost all the good suspension bits) as S197, then with suspension architecture an update to S550 (but still the same H-points - it was a "top hat"), and now again with still more patches and band-aids to S650. Maybe someday it will move fully to CD6 and take full advantage of shared cost savings.
There are reasons for this intermediate step to S650... one is purely financial, as it has been all along for the Mustang. It has been on borrowed and hacked platforms since it's start in the 60s where it sprang from the Falcon. And Ford isn't doing very well internationally - huge layoffs in Europe over the past year, declining sales all around... there are many other programs that need budget and that have a far better rate of return. The profit margins are far higher on products like Broncos and F-150s and neither of those products are even fully rolled out yet.
Another is our own Federal Government... it's pretty clear what will happen to emissions and mileage standards if the administration changes parties next week. If it does the Mustang will have to face a severe tightening of emissions and mileage requirements. And it already does have to in Europe, where it loses power because of their much tighter standards. In any case if the Mustang is to remain saleable - and competitive - around the world (which the Mustang development budget depends on financially), the Mustang is going to have to get a lot cleaner and get much better mileage.
Take a look under CD6 sometime - note the familiar rear suspension. Then look up front - the Explorer has ye olde strut but the Aviator has a very nice double A-arm (just what the Mustang needs). And all CD6 are heavily aluminum intensive. So whether we get parts of CD6 or eventually the entire thing, it's a big positive for the Mustang.
And while a hybrid model might not be of interest to this group, we know one is coming, but we don't yet know which hybrid engine. In any case there is a need to incorporate a battery pack and that is a major architectural change. I do tend to think that the next Mustang will use a pack like the current Fusion, mounted in the trunk between the shock towers (and a more modern pack, it will be much smaller). We probably won't know for a year. The rest of S650 will be a general clean-up, with maybe a few pounds saved from something like aluminum door or roof panels. but nothing major in weight change.

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
I’m waiting to see what happens with S650. Welcome changes would be double wishbone front suspension, better rear suspension geometry (Ditch those LCA mounting points and divorced spring setup), rear transaxle, and of course, less weight. If they do at least 2 of those things, I could see a real reason to upgrade. But I personally don’t see them doing any of those for S650. I think it’ll largely be D2C V3 with maybe some minor elements from CD6, maybe to stiffen up the chassis a bit or more weight rearward a bit. I do think it’ll increase in size though... Americans are starting to gravitate towards larger vehicles, and I think the Mach-E was a step in the direction of making the Mustang more of a challenger-esque (or, dare I say, Subaru crosstrek) vehicle, focusing less on performance and more on comfort and daily usability, which really is a shame

I wish Ford would really go all in on this “Mustang brand” BS that they shoved down our throats to make us accept the Mach-E and go with a full Mustang brand (similar to how Dodge separated SRT for the Viper) that offers a Mustang sedan, Mustang crossover (Mach-E), Mustang roadster (smaller, lighter, FRS/400Z competitor), Mustang GT (the standard grand tourer we all know and love), and maybe even a Mustang supercar (to compete with the Corvette without the Ford GT price tag). But we all know Ford won’t do this, they’re just trying to dilute the Mustang to cater to the standard consumers and forget about the enthusiasts

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
According to the article, the mustang is gonna share parts of the CD6 platform along with other platforms. That tells me the s650 gonna be bigger, and heavier.

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I am so happy about this. To be honest, I think the Challenger has one of the best front and back ends in the business. But because of its platform, the proportions from the side are completely off and just ruins the design for me.

Glad to see the Mustang will keep a unique platform.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I am so happy about this. To be honest, I think the Challenger has one of the best front and back ends in the business. But because of its platform, the proportions from the side are completely off and just ruins the design for me.

Glad to see the Mustang will keep a unique platform.
Totally. If it lost a 6" section across the entire side it would look fantastic.
Like Jake said, Ford should just stop being a bitch and go big(ger) with the Mustang.
If they want to make it it's own "brand."

Chevy went huge with the Vette.

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Totally. If it lost a 6" section across the entire side it would look fantastic.
Like Jake said, Ford should just stop being a bitch and go big(ger) with the Mustang.
If they want to make it it's own "brand."

Chevy went huge with the Vette.
lol yeah Jake did make a lot of interesting points; I am curious what would or will happen with a Mustang "brand".

Is the C8 really that much bigger than the C7? It looks stubbier to me but similar in size. Which in turn actually brings me back to my point; the only cars with the kind of long hood set up are the Mustang, AMG GT, and I guess Jaguar?
Sponsored