• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Premium fuel for Mustang DH to be more expensive.

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Since no one has used the DH as a daily driver, any statement about premium gas used in the DH based on the actions of previous Coyote engines is totally a guess at best. If
It's been proven countless times through testing that there are no cons to running the minimum required octane in vehicles as long as the OEM mandates it. If a car requires 87 but recommends 91+, you can run 87 perfectly fine. Obviously you'll lose out on some level of power and fuel economy but that's besides the point.

Now if you're talking about top tier gas, then YES, that actually is a thing and has also been proven to be worth going out of your way to use.

All gas stations use some form of detergents to minimize carbon build up, but top tier gas stations use either more detergents or higher quality detergents (idk which it is lol).

Examples of top tier gas stations are Shell, Chevron, Exxon, Mobil, Sunoco, Marathon... and guess what... COSTCO.

Yep, Costco is actually a top tier gas station despite being "cheap."
According to several sources, when gasoline arrives at regional distribution centers, itā€™s all the same. Different gas station chains then buy the raw fuel and add their own blend of detergents or additives. So, gasoline at the fuel distribution center is the same for all brands, but it may differ slightly after being blended with different additives by different brands. It's the additives that keep your fuel systems clean not the gasoline.
Sponsored

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I haven't bought <93 since 2019. I take a moment to look around the Costco refueling line of 80+ cars and press that button like a BOSS!
The line at the costco in fairfax is rediculous

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Top tier gasoline states that it's based on the additive detergents which this statement does not contradict

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Yikes. A minimum of 91? For an extra 20 HP (which is achievable with bolt-ons on a G3 Coyote)? And it's a Fully Networked Vehicle (FNV) or aka Commie Mustang? The DH just becomes more, and more unappealing.

It is what it is, I guess.

CoBrArOx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Genesis GV80 Prestige
Hate to sound dumb, but why not just run the cheap shit? I understand running ethanol free in carbureted cars, but not 91 in modern naturally aspirated EFI cars.
Because higher octane fuel equals more power and cleaner engines.

CoBrArOx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Genesis GV80 Prestige
I know someone who lives in a mini-mansion who has a late-model Toyota Tundra as their daily driver and their 2023 Ford Bronco as their weekend adventure vehicle. While his 22-year-old son drives a 2020 Mustang GT and goes to the gas station every 4-5 days. He has so many miles on the car now, its value has dropped considerably and he doesn't care.
I wouldn't either cars are made to be used.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i checked Ford's website, the ESourceBook, and Ford Frontline, none of which had any note mentioning the Dark Horse requiring 91 octane or premium, only a mention that HP and torque was calculated using premium fuel. looking it up, this thread is the first result, followed by other results that are unrelated to the Dark Horse. please cite the source where you found this info.

If you buying a DH, you are not to be using it as a daily driver, so you be will probably be buying gas about once a month.
...While his 22-year-old son drives a 2020 Mustang GT and goes to the gas station every 4-5 days. He has so many miles on the car now, its value has dropped considerably and he doesn't care.
these posts are also so funny
i daily drove my Mach 1 to the point where after 6 months it had just shy of 12,000 miles on it, and when i get my Dark Horse, whether it has the CF wheels or not, i will daily it and take it on long road trips just the same, zero care for resale/trade-in value. these vehicles are made to be driven and i'll be damned if i'm not gonna do that and enjoy it.

quick edit: it looks like the original post was edited, which may make previous posts not make a ton of sense, here's what the OP orginally said
According to the official Ford website1, the 2024 Mustang Dark Horse requires premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher. Regular gas may cause engine knocking and damage over time.

Here's some bad news for drivers of luxury cars and large sport-utility vehicles who are pumping the top grade of gasoline: the premium they pay over regular fuel is getting pricier. U.S. and European refiners are scrambling to get enough octane to make high-quality gasoline. There are several potential reasons for the shortfall, including the fallout of Russia's war in Ukraine, the impact of U.S. environmental regulations, and a lack of refining capacity. Premium gasoline at the pump is getting more expensive (detroitnews.com)
the original post said that Ford's website said the DH requires premium, which isn't true, but now it's implying that Ford told Motortrend that the DH requires premium, which is also not true, there's no mention of it on the cited article.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
i checked Ford's website, the ESourceBook, and Ford Frontline, none of which had any note mentioning the Dark Horse requiring 91 octane or premium, only a mention that HP and torque was calculated using premium fuel. looking it up, this thread is the first result, followed by other results that are unrelated to the Dark Horse. please cite the source where you found this info.
OK, so itā€™s not just me. I couldnā€™t see/find anything Saying premium is required. The fact that HP & mileage are based on using premium doesnā€™t mean itā€™s required, just recommended For best results.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Yikes. A minimum of 91? For an extra 20 HP (which is achievable with bolt-ons on a G3 Coyote)? And it's a Fully Networked Vehicle (FNV) or aka Commie Mustang? The DH just becomes more, and more unappealing.

It is what it is, I guess.
Your Mach 1ā€™s rated HP is based on using premium. If youā€™re using regular you are not getting the number you think youā€™re getting. Also you Mach 1 has full telematics. As does virtually every other new car on the market. You may have your reasons for disliking the DH but these shouldnā€™t be two of them. šŸ‘

Last edited:

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
I know someone who lives in a mini-mansion who has a late-model Toyota Tundra as their daily driver and their 2023 Ford Bronco as their weekend adventure vehicle. While his 22-year-old son drives a 2020 Mustang GT and goes to the gas station every 4-5 days. He has so many miles on the car now, its value has dropped considerably and he doesn't care.
Why would the value of the car be important when dropping after driving the car?

I really don't understand people who don't drive their car because they don't want the value to drop.

So you just want to have it and look at it instead of driving it?

I have a cheaper option. Just look at someone elses car and you don't have to pay a pennie.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Why would the value of the car be important when dropping after driving the car?

I really don't understand people who don't drive their car because they don't want the value to drop.

So you just want to have it and look at it instead of driving it?

I have a cheaper option. Just look at someone elses car and you don't have to pay a pennie.
My trick is to just drive the piss out of all my cars and rack them up to 100k while theyā€™re paid off. That depreciation curve levels out after a while šŸ˜‚

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
For those of us that already have the Ford performance Power Kit this is a requirement already. You can always blend in a couple of gallons of e85. If it's available.

Towerism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 6 speed, 2021 Volvo XC40 R-Design
How to get access to the esourcebook?

A 60-90 page pamphlet of nothing but written content on the 2024 mustang sounds like a good way to pass the time.

these posts are also so funny
i daily drove my Mach 1 to the point where after 6 months it had just shy of 12,000 miles on it, and when i get my Dark Horse, whether it has the CF wheels or not, i will daily it and take it on long road trips just the same, zero care for resale/trade-in value. these vehicles are made to be driven and i'll be damned if i'm not gonna do that and enjoy it.

quick edit: it looks like the original post was edited, which may make previous posts not make a ton of sense, here's what the OP orginally said

the original post said that Ford's website said the DH requires premium, which isn't true, but now it's implying that Ford told Motortrend that the DH requires premium, which is also not true, there's no mention of it on the cited article.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
How to get access to the esourcebook?

A 60-90 page pamphlet of nothing but written content on the 2024 mustang sounds like a good way to pass the time.
to get access to the ESourceBook, you need to work at a Ford dealer and have an FMCDealer login.
sadly, it's not a huge digital booklet of info, it really only has 2-3 pages worth of stuff on it

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
Even my 2020 F150 5.0 pings like crazy on 87. I couldnā€™t imagine it running better in a higher tuned engine like a GT or greater.
Sponsored