• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Paint issues - dealership response

JohnO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES F Sport, 85 Mustang GT modified
Most dealerships in my area don't have body shops anymore but work closely with one that they sublet their work to. Dealerships are compensated for all warranty work and whether they like it or not, they can't refuse warranty work of any kind.
Being told that " you didn't buy it here" is something I haven't heard in decades, since the 90s and wasn't uncommon in the Chicago area. This is the reason why I ordered my car from a dealership close to my house as I still believe that the dealership who sold you the car is more likely to work with you in the event of warranty problems if needed.
Hopefully these paint problems aren't common and get resolved.
Sponsored

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealers sub out work all the time.
Yes, of course they do. But that doesn't necessarily mean they want to, especially if it's not worth their trouble.

I suggest that @Southpaw78 leave a Google review on the dealership where he purchased and give them 1 star, relating his experience and cautioning, "Don't buy from here". You can also jump over to other platforms where they list their inventory and leave similar reviews. That will get their attention, especially if it scares of potential buyers. You can also call Ford customer service at (800) 392-3673 and they can help you arrange for a dealership to do the repairs near you.

Having recently gone through a similar process on my car, and having a nightmare dealership experience, I would tell you not to have high expectations from Ford corporate if you want them to lean on the dealership. In my case, Ford's best offer was "well we can call the dealership every day and ask for an update."

OP
OP
Southpaw78

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
Left a bad review for the 1st dealership.

I ended up speaking with another dealership and the service manager there at 1st tried the same thing. When I explained to him the issues I was having getting a Ford dealership to honor a freaking Ford warranty he relented and finally did the right thing (overall he was very helpful). They don't have a body shop either but they partner with a Ford certified body shop.

They took my information and asked that I get the quote done at the body shop to complete the warranty work and they will coordinate.

Just blown away how these dealership treat a Ford customer. It was like I was asking them to foot the bill to repair a 2000 Fiesta.

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
I can't think of any dealers that do much body work in my area anymore. Most body shops and detailers are booked months out too.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Left a bad review for the 1st dealership.

I ended up speaking with another dealership and the service manager there at 1st tried the same thing. When I explained to him the issues I was having getting a Ford dealership to honor a freaking Ford warranty he relented and finally did the right thing (overall he was very helpful). They don't have a body shop either but they partner with a Ford certified body shop.

They took my information and asked that I get the quote done at the body shop to complete the warranty work and they will coordinate.

Just blown away how these dealership treat a Ford customer. It was like I was asking them to foot the bill to repair a 2000 Fiesta.
I'm in the Tampa area and the best bodyshop around here is Brandon Ford Collision. I know you said you were in Central Florida but didn't say where exactly.

OP
OP
Southpaw78

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
I'm in the Tampa area and the best bodyshop around here is Brandon Ford Collision. I know you said you were in Central Florida but didn't say where exactly.
Thanks! that a bit of a drive. I'm going to try Mullinax which is who I was referring to in my previous post. If that doesn't work out I may need to expand my search.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks! that a bit of a drive. I'm going to try Mullinax which is who I was referring to in my previous post. If that doesn't work out I may need to expand my search.
I didn't know which part of Central Florida you were in

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
Had a really disappointing response from the area dealerships on the paint and panel issues I found on my car over the weekend.

For reference I purchased my GT in South Florida which ended up saving me about $2500 from my local dealerships.

Despite going over the car pretty well at the dealership, after washing the car myself this weekend I noticed I had paint bubbles in the rear wheel wells (like that dark horse in the CAP video posted here) and there is also one on the rear deck lid right in the groove above the light. The other issue I had was the rear bumper cover is sticking out a bit near the same light which I did see at the dealer. l just didn't want to wait there for them to fix it.

I went to my local dealership to ask about the paint issue and the Service Director told me I had to go to a dealership with an auto body shop. I asked who'd they use if someone they sold a car to had the issue but he gave me the same response and didn't seem particularly interested in speaking with me. They gave me two other dealerships to call.

One closed down their body shop, and the other flat out said that they wouldn't work on it if I didn't buy it there and it would be at least 6 months out before they do any type of warranty work on 2024s. I knew this wasn't true but the fact he even said it, I definitely don't want to take my car to them.

I got a hold of a dealership on the coast that's over an hour away and they said they would take pictures of the issues and send it to Ford to approve but they couldn't answer on how long that took. I even asked: weeks, months, years? They were just very dismissive.

Is this normal with @Ford? Having to search around for a dealer to do warranty work and getting shitty customers service from nearly everyone I talked to because I didn't buy the car from them? I don't need anyone kissing my ass, just basic politeness and helpfulness.

I have two other cars, Honda & Acura that I still take to the dealership for service and they are waaayy out of warranty. I didn't buy them from that dealership but they been great to deal with so I always go back.
I just brought this up to see if anyone on the forum had a answer from Ford. Hypothetically speaking
What if you were in a dealership show room and noticed them and they never answered you? You could then say when you do know give me a call and I’ll buy from you. Until you have had “Lets a,e A Deal’

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had a really disappointing response from the area dealerships on the paint and panel issues I found on my car over the weekend.

For reference I purchased my GT in South Florida which ended up saving me about $2500 from my local dealerships.

Despite going over the car pretty well at the dealership, after washing the car myself this weekend I noticed I had paint bubbles in the rear wheel wells (like that dark horse in the CAP video posted here) and there is also one on the rear deck lid right in the groove above the light. The other issue I had was the rear bumper cover is sticking out a bit near the same light which I did see at the dealer. l just didn't want to wait there for them to fix it.

I went to my local dealership to ask about the paint issue and the Service Director told me I had to go to a dealership with an auto body shop. I asked who'd they use if someone they sold a car to had the issue but he gave me the same response and didn't seem particularly interested in speaking with me. They gave me two other dealerships to call.

One closed down their body shop, and the other flat out said that they wouldn't work on it if I didn't buy it there and it would be at least 6 months out before they do any type of warranty work on 2024s. I knew this wasn't true but the fact he even said it, I definitely don't want to take my car to them.

I got a hold of a dealership on the coast that's over an hour away and they said they would take pictures of the issues and send it to Ford to approve but they couldn't answer on how long that took. I even asked: weeks, months, years? They were just very dismissive.

Is this normal with @Ford? Having to search around for a dealer to do warranty work and getting shitty customers service from nearly everyone I talked to because I didn't buy the car from them? I don't need anyone kissing my ass, just basic politeness and helpfulness.

I have two other cars, Honda & Acura that I still take to the dealership for service and they are waaayy out of warranty. I didn't buy them from that dealership but they been great to deal with so I always go back.
Raise hell with the dealership you bought your car from. They if anyone should be obligated to help you. Remind them word of the mouth can work both ways, just mention Facebook, ect. Good luck 😉.

OP
OP
Southpaw78

Southpaw78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
Raise hell with the dealership you bought your car from. They if anyone should be obligated to help you. Remind them word of the mouth can work both ways, just mention Facebook, ect. Good luck 😉.
I got the paint issue repaired and they actually did a nice job BUT they chipped my rear tail light when they took it out to paint the area on the corner of the trunk. Now I'm going back and forth with them on replacing the light which they're trying to say was already damaged or that I somehow damaged it. The autobody shop manager even tried to tell me that it would have to come out of the techs pocket to make me feel bad and let the damage go. Dealerships, I tell you...it never ends.

Last edited:

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the paint issue repaired and they actually did a nice job BUT they chipped my rear tail light when they took it out to paint the area on the corner of the trunk. Now I'm going back and forth with them on replacing the light which they're trying to say was already damaged or that I somehow damaged it. The autobody shop manager even tried to tell me that it would have to come out of the techs pocket to make me feel bad and let the damage go. Dealerships, I tell you...it never ends.
You know the truth. I’ll bet that’s expensive too. Keep us posted.

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
The qc department must hire blind people….every S650 I’ve looked at has at least 3-5 defects of some kind.

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be worse or is it 5 to 10 depending how the mileage is. Everyone has the 2 holes front wheel panels. I believe Ford is aware of it so whats there anaswer or fix.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
QUOTE="Nicky Pass, post: 3254290, member: 2
The qc department must hire blind people….every S650 I’ve looked at has at least 3-5 defects of some kind.
[/QUOTE]
Wait- There’s a QC department? :crackup:

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
I work at a powerboat manufacturer and can state from personal experience that unfortunately, QC is Quality Control, not Quality Perfect.

Most buyers don't want to hear this, but every manufacturer's QC department has a defect tolerance level for every aspect of their product. If the defects exceed those levels or are very obvious to "casual" observation they are repaired; if not, they are not repaired. There are a myriad of reasons why, but in some cases, the repairs are not made because the repair would be worse than the original defect.

To 90% of their customers (In our cases, the ones not on this and other forums), these defects go unnoticed, therefore inconsequential. We just happen to be enthusiasts who desire perfection in our Mustangs.

That said, the dealers shouldn't balk at submitting warranty claims to Ford to get these defects fixed, especially paint related ones because they are not on the hook for the cost unless they make the repair before getting approval for a warranty repair beforehand.

That said, my Dark Horse better be absolutely perfect!! Whenever Ford decides to build it, that is.
Sponsored