• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Options for protecting against stone chips on S650's

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Looking for options and opinions on protection against stone chips on a 24 Mustang GT. I know a lot of folks will PPF some, if not all of the car but I'm trying to keep the budget within reason here. Maybe having PPF done on certain high impact areas might be a cost effective option? If so, which specific areas would you target?Also I've seen some users mention rock guards (or stone guards or mudflaps) or whatever they are called these days. Honestly I don't think these look bad on a Mustang but there are a few brands and some of the reviews I have read are mixed. I think they probably do work but the reviews have more to do with how the different brands have you attach the rock guards (clip on, screw inm adhesive,etc).

Not sure what other options there might be outside of PPF and rock guards but maybe I have missed something. I'm sure the S650 is prone to stone chips like all other vehicles but hopefully I can find a solution(s) that will help keep those chips to a minimum and keep her looking good. This is a daily driver for me but I work from home so I can of pick and choose when I need to go out so that's a plus.

Open to suggestions and opinions and looking forward to some nice dialogue here. Please feel free to chime in on the cost of PPF for certain areas of the car if you've recently had it done and also how well it's doing it's job? One more thing, does PPF harm the paint of the car if it's on there for many years though various seasons? Not sure if the PPF tends to turn yellow after a period of time or anything like that?
Sponsored

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
I had 2 s550 and now an s650 and I did a lot of highway miles on the s550s. I found the best combo for me was PPF on the front end: bumper, hood, fenders, mirror caps, and headlights. Then a descent set of mud guards.
I went with the ones from ZL1 for the s650. I like them have no issues but they were also the only option I could find when I got my car back in August.

For the rest of the car I did a ceramic coating but I don’t believe a ceramic really protects from scratches or rock chips, I just treat it like a long lasting wax.

The one place I have picked up a few chips on the s650 is directly on the leading edge of the roof. If I was not going to wrap it with black vinyl, I would definitely consider some amount of PPF around the windshield and roof.

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Open to suggestions and opinions and looking forward to some nice dialogue here. Please feel free to chime in on the cost of PPF for certain areas of the car if you've recently had it done and also how well it's doing it's job?
I have PPF (Xpel Fusion Ultimate) on the entire car including door sills, and a second layer in the rocker panels in front of the rear tires. I did this because I will use 11 inch wheels all around so I know from my experience with the S550 that the rear rocker panels ahead of the rear tires get sandblasted. Leading edge of the roof and of the front fenders get hit too. Mirror caps, and the hood.

If I were going to do the bare minimum only, I'd do the rear rocker panels, hood and front fenders. Then the roof, but the chips on the leading edge can be managed OK with touch up paint.
For me the full PPF was worth it because I was spending a lot of time fixing the tiny pinhole chip paints on my shadow black S550. I wanted it to look nice all the time so I was touching up tiny chips every few weeks. I don't want to spend that kind of time on fixing paint anymore so to me the expense of full PPF was worth it. I also keep my cars forever. I'd still have my 2019 if it hadn't been totaled when I got t-boned last year.

Maceo2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2013 Mercedes Benz E350 4
Looking for options and opinions on protection against stone chips on a 24 Mustang GT. I know a lot of folks will PPF some, if not all of the car but I'm trying to keep the budget within reason here. Maybe having PPF done on certain high impact areas might be a cost effective option? If so, which specific areas would you target?Also I've seen some users mention rock guards (or stone guards or mudflaps) or whatever they are called these days. Honestly I don't think these look bad on a Mustang but there are a few brands and some of the reviews I have read are mixed. I think they probably do work but the reviews have more to do with how the different brands have you attach the rock guards (clip on, screw inm adhesive,etc).

Not sure what other options there might be outside of PPF and rock guards but maybe I have missed something. I'm sure the S650 is prone to stone chips like all other vehicles but hopefully I can find a solution(s) that will help keep those chips to a minimum and keep her looking good. This is a daily driver for me but I work from home so I can of pick and choose when I need to go out so that's a plus.

Open to suggestions and opinions and looking forward to some nice dialogue here. Please feel free to chime in on the cost of PPF for certain areas of the car if you've recently had it done and also how well it's doing it's job? One more thing, does PPF harm the paint of the car if it's on there for many years though various seasons? Not sure if the PPF tends to turn yellow after a period of time or anything like that?
I use this NoviStretch cover for highway driving, it's mesh.

S650 Mustang Options for protecting against stone chips on S650's 20240412_175116

S650 Mustang Options for protecting against stone chips on S650's 20240412_175412

S650 Mustang Options for protecting against stone chips on S650's 20240412_175354

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Reactions: JAL

Maceo2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm all for protecting the cars paint etc., but that thing is hideous.
It can be put on and taken off in under 2mins plus at 80mph on the highway I'm not in a fashion show. Hideous would be rocks chips and bug splatter on that area when I get to my destination.

Maceo2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any issues with scratches from this product?
None so far. I mainly wanted to try it out to keep the summer time bug goo off the front end when out on the hwy at night. I don't have it on for daily driving, also the cover is washable if needed. If I had PPF I'd still want this.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I had 2 s550 and now an s650 and I did a lot of highway miles on the s550s. I found the best combo for me was PPF on the front end: bumper, hood, fenders, mirror caps, and headlights. Then a descent set of mud guards.
I went with the ones from ZL1 for the s650. I like them have no issues but they were also the only option I could find when I got my car back in August.

For the rest of the car I did a ceramic coating but I don’t believe a ceramic really protects from scratches or rock chips, I just treat it like a long lasting wax.

The one place I have picked up a few chips on the s650 is directly on the leading edge of the roof. If I was not going to wrap it with black vinyl, I would definitely consider some amount of PPF around the windshield and roof.
Appreciate the info. I'll have to get some quotes on what it was cost to PPF those areas your mentioned. May I ask what you paid to have those areas PPF'D?

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I have PPF (Xpel Fusion Ultimate) on the entire car including door sills, and a second layer in the rocker panels in front of the rear tires. I did this because I will use 11 inch wheels all around so I know from my experience with the S550 that the rear rocker panels ahead of the rear tires get sandblasted. Leading edge of the roof and of the front fenders get hit too. Mirror caps, and the hood.

If I were going to do the bare minimum only, I'd do the rear rocker panels, hood and front fenders. Then the roof, but the chips on the leading edge can be managed OK with touch up paint.
For me the full PPF was worth it because I was spending a lot of time fixing the tiny pinhole chip paints on my shadow black S550. I wanted it to look nice all the time so I was touching up tiny chips every few weeks. I don't want to spend that kind of time on fixing paint anymore so to me the expense of full PPF was worth it. I also keep my cars forever. I'd still have my 2019 if it hadn't been totaled when I got t-boned last year.
Do you mind if I ask what it cost to PPF the entire car? I'm going to look into have certain areas done (like you mentioned) if the cost isn't too bad.

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Do you mind if I ask what it cost to PPF the entire car? I'm going to look into have certain areas done (like you mentioned) if the cost isn't too bad.
I don't mind at all.
I doubt anyone could get a price like this. I paid 3850$. That's for a complete PPF on all body colored surfaces with no visible seams, all edges tucked in, door sills and headlights done, the grille surrounds, the spoiler, and a second (sacrificial) layer in the rear rocker panels (that's because the A pillars, the roof, B pillars and the rear fenders is just one piece of PPF, expensive to replace) Not a pre-cut kit. Made by an Xpel certified shop. I had a rebate because I am a member of the local mustang club.
And also, I was willing to leave the car there for 15 days and not bug them for updates constantly.
The 'best deal' the dealership's partner PPF shop could give me was 5450$. I think most times you can expect to pay 7000$ for a Ferrari-grade job.
The advantage of doing PPF on day 1 is that there's very little -if any- time spent on paint correction, which is very labor intensive ($$).
This particular PPF Xpel Fusion Ultimate is self-healing and also has the same effect as ceramic coating when you clean it. I save so much time on keeping it looking clean, to me it is well worth it.
But I am not the type who changes cars every few years. PPF helps re-sell the car faster, but won't really help get a better price upon trading in. It's more for people like me who will keep the car 10 years+ I think.