• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

No fog lights on the S650

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The fog lights on my SN95 literally make no difference whatsoever if the headlights are already on. Only way I “use” them is with the parking lights/ headlights off.
And that’s exactly the way they are supposed to be used. In thick fog headlights are worthless, even dangerous. That’s when you need fogs to see where you are going.
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
The fog lights on my SN95 literally make no difference whatsoever if the headlights are already on. Only way I “use” them is with the parking lights/ headlights off.
They’ve been more or less made vestigial since HIDs became mainstream. Back in the halogen days, sure, but let’s not kid ourselves and pretend that fogs are for anything other than aesthetics at this point

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
They’ve been more or less made vestigial since HIDs became mainstream. Back in the halogen days, sure, but let’s not kid ourselves and pretend that fogs are for anything other than aesthetics at this point
I agree 99.99% of the time. But for that 0.01% they can be a lifesaver. Many years ago I was driving home from a relatives house in upstate NY late at night. On the highway at 65MPH we hit a massive fog bank. Within seconds we had virtually zero visibility. You couldn't see ahead, behind or on either side. Scared the shit out of me and the family. The headlights just make thing worse. I slowed as much as I could turned on my fogs and prayed. Thank God we got out without incident.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 2022 MT
Fog lights that sit high on the the front of the vehicle are not for fog at all. They should not been turned on in fog conditions. Their beam will reflect off the fog and distract the driver further.
Functional fog lights should sit low, be angled towards the road, have a wide bar range and if possible not beam up. That’s why their encasing is typically a couple of inches deep.
The eighties had it right.

S650 Mustang No fog lights on the S650 F11BEF7C-7AD9-4DF3-BC07-DE0F7F2DD77E

S650 Mustang No fog lights on the S650 2221CBD6-7A1E-4800-8123-F846F0CEF4A9

S650 Mustang No fog lights on the S650 EACFD0D3-CCA4-4EC5-A4FB-DD3A493374F3

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
Unfortunately the aftermarket did zip, zero, nada for the Mach 1. Never understood why.
Too limited, not enough market to justify R/D I was told.

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
They have not been "needed" for decades. The 1994 v6 mustang did not have fogs. It didn't NEED them. The GT and Cobras did not NEED them either but they looked good.
Driving where they're not needed is not the same thing as them not being needed. There are places where the weather mandates them. I myself found them quite useful very recently.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Driving where they're not needed is not the same thing as them not being needed. There are places where the weather mandates them. I myself found them quite useful very recently.
This is exactly the problem.

Come out here to Delaware, where a good portion ( 25 percent according to the Delaware State government website) of our state is wetlands/swamp. There are many mornings when my wife leaves for work and you can't see neighbors house, much less the end of the driveway. and certain areas are even worse.

Just because some idiot in Dearborn MI doesn't see a need for foglamps doesn't mean they are not needed...just means that they might not be driving in areas where it's not needed.

No Ford headlamp that I have owned or test driven has outperformed the headlamps the wife and I have on our current cars, and we have both needed foglamps maybe 20-30 days a year. (Needed, not wanted) and used them more often than that.

Ford saying they don't need fog lights just means they were cutting corners.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Ford saying they don't need fog lights just means they were cutting corners.
Exactly. Highlights are mine.

“Yeah I think with lighting technology today it’s so good and the LEDs are so bright and provide a very good amount of light, it’s almost one of those things that we didn’t need to do,” Christopher Walter, Ford Mustang design manager, told Ford Authority Executive Editor, Alex Luft, at the 2024 Ford Mustang reveal in Dearborn last month.

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
I live in Delaware south of the canal. That means that where I live, there is a tremendous amount of fog that tends to hang around.

I have a BMW and an F350. The BMW has much better headlamps than my F350. They turn when you turn the steering wheel, auto level, they have great projection, less scatter, and greater intensity than any other brand I have owned or rented...and yet I STILL turn on my fog lamps, because they are needed where I live. In fact, there are days when I am glad that I installed the button that allows me to turn on my rear fog lamps ( ) as sometimes, this is the only way cars behind you will be able to see you through the fog (and no, these are not the same as the brake lights)

I've owned several Fords and rented many others and I have never seen their headlights match what BMW's headlights can do, so I find it very difficult to believe that their new headlights could not benefit from dedicated fog lamps, since I find that even the best headlights benefit from them. Maybe I am wrong, or maybe they will have that functionality built in, but at least where I live, fog lights are very much a necessary piece of equipment.
Where I live (The Netherlands) and many other European countries, it is mandatory to have fog lights on front and in the rear. All cars have them. We are only allowed to use them when the sight is less than 50 meters or 164 feet, otherwise you can blind people in the traffic. Especially the rear fog lights are very blinding.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Where I live (The Netherlands) and many other European countries, it is mandatory to have fog lights on front and in the rear. All cars have them. We are only allowed to use them when the sight is less than 50 meters or 164 feet, otherwise you can blind people in the traffic. Especially the rear fog lights are very blinding.
yep. We don't use them here very much, but there have been times when I could barely see just 50 feet (much less meters) in front of my car.

Delaware is VERY foggy, especially in the winter. All that warm water and cold air just screams cloud formation.

papaD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Power Wagon 2016 Challenger 392 shaker
There are many deer where I live (rural country).

there can be deer off in the ditches that the normal headlights won't pick up.

As soon as I turn on my factory foglights, i can see them even into the field past the ditches...

Those are on my Dodge vehicles...

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
There are many deer where I live (rural country).

there can be deer off in the ditches that the normal headlights won't pick up.

As soon as I turn on my factory foglights, i can see them even into the field past the ditches...

Those are on my Dodge vehicles...
My Charger Scatpack Widebody has no foglights :thumbsdown:

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
My 15 GT, loved em. The 18 GT, FUGLY .. esp with the chrome housings. While I like a driving/fog light, the 2024 looks cleaner without them IMHO.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Modern matrix / dynamic headlights render them pointless.

I live in a foggy arear and no car I have had with xenon / LED headlights has ever had any benefit from foglights. They add nothing to the illumination that is not already there. Turn them on and off and no difference at all.

Back in the 80's with halogen reflector lights and no cornering lights / poor lighting of the verges was very different.

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
Modern matrix / dynamic headlights render them pointless.

I live in a foggy arear and no car I have had with xenon / LED headlights has ever had any benefit from foglights. They add nothing to the illumination that is not already there. Turn them on and off and no difference at all.
They're not meant to add additional forward illumination to headlights.

You simply don't know how fog lights are meant to be used. Modern headlights have nothing to do with the proper application of fog lights......other than perhaps making them more important under their intended weather conditions.

This entire thread has demonstrated that there's grave ignorance about the why, where & how fog lights are to be used.
Sponsored