• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New manual driver (2 months) - need advice to shift better

dirtgnome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Anyone have advice for a new manual driver and how to shift to 2nd gear smoother. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is always rough, there's always some jolt to it. I have the same issue shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but there's a lot less jolt compared to 1st > 2nd. Shifting anywhere else feels smooth though. The only way I can make the 2nd gear shift feel smooth is if I let out the clutch slowly, like a full second or two, but the issue is I feel like my normal city driving acceleration feels too slow. I've had people just drive around to pass me if I try for smoother shifts.

Also was wondering how most of you guys release your clutch. I've checked other car forums and people are pretty much 50/50 in that you ALWAYS have to release the clutch slowly/smoothly when shifting no matter what and the other half says just dump the clutch (outside of stop to 1st gear) after you shift since modern cars are made to handle that.
Sponsored

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Practice. Also try just barely pressing the clutch and shift quick. Barely have to touch the clutch and the thing shifts in these.

OP
OP

dirtgnome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Practice. Also try just barely pressing the clutch and shift quick. Barely have to touch the clutch and the thing shifts in these.
Will this cause any issues? When I was watching videos to learn, everyone pretty much said you always need to press down the clutch all the way before shifting.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
For normal driving you need to have a good feel of the clutch engagement. This especially important for smooth starts. Going to the next gear(2nd) try letting the rpm go between 3000 and 3500 before shifting. Make sure you are having the clutch to the floor before moving the shifter. These Coyotes like higher revs. Lower rpm shifts are more of a challenge and timing will have to be almost perfect.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
You can do this however it is very hard on the synchros. Some shift without even using the clutch. The timing must be spot on. Doing this is hard on the transmission.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
You can do this however it is very hard on the synchros. Some shift without even using the clutch. The timing must be spot on. Doing this is hard on the transmission.
it shifts smooth. The clutch is clearly engaging and disengaging. It’s not power shifting. I shift like this at all RPMs it wouldn’t shift if it wasn’t engaged properly. Trust me I’ve played with the clutch and when it will allow it to shift and when it won’t.

packfan021488

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Shadow Black GT PP
I learned to drive a manual at 18 on my new edge mustang lol practice my man you'll get it good for you getting the manual that's the way to go makes the car so much more engaging and fun to drive IMO

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
On your shifts, ease out of the clutch and pay attention to where the RPMs drop to once it catches and fully engages. The more you do it, the more it'll become intuitive when you can just let it engage.

Took me a little time to learn it but I eventually got so used to it I can now bang gears easily with the MT-82. It really just comes down to seat time and feeling out what the transmission likes and doesn't.

Above all, just have fun with it. 😄

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I find that rev matching helps a lot. If you shift at 3000 RPM, for example, let the RPMs drop as you press the clutch to the floor. Shift. Then add a little gas while releasing the clutch slowly bringing the revs to about 2000 or even a little higher. This all has to happen simultaneously. It takes practice, but you'll get there. Try to learn to shift by ear, also (my first car was a manual with no tachometer and all you had was the engine note to guide you. Challenging as a novice, but made me a better driver). This will make you smoother on engagement. Finally, learn where your clutch begins to grab when releasing it. A little feathering of the clutch at this point helps smooth it out. No need to dump the clutch if you're not performance driving or racing.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Try using your toes not your foot

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I am taking you at your word that you are new to a manual. The good news is once you are familiar with it, this is a pretty easy transmission to learn on. I have had over 50 years of driving manual so I am a bit familiar with them. The transmission will take about 500 miles of city driving before it will loosen up so don't worry if it's a little difficult at first.
Cars I have driven before had clutches that grabbed in the last two or there inches of travel. At least on my car, the clutch grabs before it's half way release. This allow you to use a little different procedure while you are learning. When shifting at 2000 RPMs, you will want to run the engine up to about 1500 RPMs before starting to release the clutch. You may want to put the car in neutral and play with the gas a little so you can train your ear for the correct pitch. My first two cars didn't have a tach so I learned quickly how to get the correct engine speed by ear.
Try to place the ball of your foot on the clutch and your heel on the floor. Allow the ball of your foot to come back while the heel remains in place. Once the clutch grabs, you can let it all the way off and apply the gas.
As you develop your body memory you will find you don't need to use your heel to control the clutch. Stay away from speed shifting until your body learns the correct movement. Just do slow and easy and before you know it, you will be shifting like a pro.

Last edited:

coltgus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT with PP and AE
Just let the rpm drop until it stops then let out the clutch, perfect shift everytime. This works on every upshift. Make sure rev matching is on. To be precise, in 1st gear rev up to some rpm like 5k then push in the clutch, let off the accelerator, rpm will drop to around 3300k and stop dropping, let out the clutch and you will feel nothing. Then do the same from 2nd to 3rd etc.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
everyone pretty much said you always need to press down the clutch all the way before shifting.
rubbish. those people don't know where their clutch bite-point is. Granted Ford doesn't make it easy with their pedal and "assist" spring arrangement. If Steeda has their replacement clutch spring available, at least give that a try.

The other problem with the S650 is Ford copied the stupid Mopar people who put a check-valve in the clutch line so it doesn't return naturally. It artificially slows things down. I guess we've dumbed down manual drivers so badly they can't be expected to actually learn how to drive...

In the Mopar it's trivial to remove the interference, I don't know about the Mustang.

Find a large parking lot and practice. Manuals do not shift like gatling guns. You must let the parts work harmoniously together.

GKman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Do you keep you heel on the floor when starting out ?
Sponsored