• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

6-Speed Manual Shift Knob replacement

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I don't care for the stock shift knob. I am looking for a white, Bullitt style knob or perhaps a black one. None of the knobs I have seen have a metal (brass) threaded insert for screwing the knob onto the shift lever. Many seem to have plastic inserts. These may strip too easily.
Suggestions?
Sponsored

Joe_Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vapor Blue GT PP X-Pipe & HRE FF10's
Check out Billetworkz, they have a wide range of colors and shapes to choose from. I got a titanium shift knob from them a few months back that i love and the threaded insert on the shift knob i received was metal.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check out Billetworkz, they have a wide range of colors and shapes to choose from. I got a titanium shift knob from them a few months back that i love and the threaded insert on the shift knob i received was metal.
I contacted them about fitment. They suggested the round, Bullitt style knob would not fit due to the reverse gear lockout. The other issue was that their knobs are not returnable.

Joe_Cool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vapor Blue GT PP X-Pipe & HRE FF10's
Good point, they don't offer a spherical shift knob because it interferes with the reverse lockout, i went with the short teardrop shape. My other suggestions would be the Ford Performance or Raceng shift knobs but I'm not sure what material the insert is made of on those.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good point, they don't offer a spherical shift knob because it interferes with the reverse lockout, i went with the short teardrop shape. My other suggestions would be the Ford Performance or Raceng shift knobs but I'm not sure what material the insert is made of on those.
That was my next choice and I had the same observation. When the time comes, I'll have to contact them and ask.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
I have the Ford Performance Bullitt knob. It installs easily with a strap wrench.

I would not be worried about stripping it out unless you go full send like a gorilla. Just follow the instructions and you’ll be good to go.
S650 Mustang 6-Speed Manual Shift Knob replacement IMG_7794

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Ford Performance Bullitt knob. It installs easily with a strap wrench.

I would not be worried about stripping it out unless you go full send like a gorilla. Just follow the instructions and it you’ll be good to go.
IMG_7794.jpeg
GREAT!

Smaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
I contacted them about fitment. They suggested the round, Bullitt style knob would not fit due to the reverse gear lockout. The other issue was that their knobs are not returnable.
I got the round billetworkz knob and it works fine as long as you get their reverse lockout too. It was easy to install.
S650 Mustang 6-Speed Manual Shift Knob replacement IMG_8616

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I would not be worried about stripping it out unless you go full send like a gorilla. Just follow the instructions and you’ll be good to go.
IMG_7794.jpeg
Did you have to use Blue Loctite to secure it?

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
No I didn’t, the instructions didn’t call for it. The knob is so tight that you would be hard pressed to move it without the strap wrench.

Here’s the Ford instructions

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I didn’t, the instructions didn’t call for it. The knob is so tight that you would be hard pressed to move it without the strap wrench.

Here’s the Ford instructions
Instructions "picture" a strap wrench, but don't say to use it. Did the knob come with one and is it really needed to install?

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
Instructions "picture" a strap wrench, but don't say to use it. Did the knob come with one and is it really needed to install?
In the third step illustration on the right it shows what tool to use 🙂.

It’s not included but I would say it’s necessary. They are really cheap. Mine was ~$10 at Lowes.

You will need something grippy so it doesn’t slip and also smooth so you don’t damage the knob. Best tool for that is a rubber strap wrench.

$6 at Harbor Freight. More than good enough to do this job.
https://www.harborfreight.com/rubber-strap-wrench-set-2-piece-69373.html

Reactions: DCS

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd