• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
You know with the BMW M4 and M2 crowd its the opposite. Everyone is complaining about the Z4s vs. the Mich PS4S. BMWs aren't known for their steering anymore, after the E92 BMW is in the same boat as the Mustang. Numb steering. Everyone feels the Z4s made it worse than the PS4S.

What is sad is that Ford knows how to do good steering. Anyone that ever drove a FoST or FiST or an Focus RS, these cars have awesome steering.

For me as long as the steering isn't worse than the S550 I won't have an issue with it. Although it is disappointing.
Funny you say that, BMW uses a unique PS4S with an asterisk to denote it’s of BMW specification. Like this PS4S*. Much stickier, much stiffer, way more feedback and better on track. I agree with you though, keeping hopes up

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Funny you say that, BMW uses a unique PS4S with an asterisk to denote it’s of BMW specification. Like this PS4S*. Much stickier, much stiffer, way more feedback and better on track. I agree with you though, keeping hopes up

Yea I saw that...however, even the Pirellis have a BMW specific tire and they still prefer the Mich.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Yea I saw that...however, even the Pirellis have a BMW specific tire and they still prefer the Mich.
At the end of the day, there are probably just inherent changes that need to be made to the suspension geometry, bushings, and/or EPAS motor. Just like you, I hated my PP1 GT's steering, and prior to that, I had an E92 335i which I still feel had some of the best loading characteristics of any daily driver. I didn't do suspension mods to the GT, just switched to Michelins when the P-Zeros wore out.

My GT350 felt like it had no familial connection to my PP1, nor the other S550s behind the wheel, but having driven my car with its stock CUP 2s versus other examples equipped with PSSs (Ford's Track Attack sessions on circuit), the basic steering characteristics felt inconsequentially different (ie both good), despite those two tires being in different classes of feedback and dynamic. So I imagine, to an even further degree, slapping a set of A/S tires on a GT350 won't dampen it as much in the same way as slapping PS4Ss, or F1s, or even CUP 2s, on a GT could help "solve" its problems. It might need completely different camber/caster/toe settings, less EPAS dampening, and stiffer frame connections.

Last edited:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
You know with the BMW M4 and M2 crowd its the opposite. Everyone is complaining about the Z4s vs. the Mich PS4S. BMWs aren't known for their steering anymore, after the E92 BMW is in the same boat as the Mustang. Numb steering. Everyone feels the Z4s made it worse than the PS4S.

What is sad is that Ford knows how to do good steering. Anyone that ever drove a FoST or FiST or an Focus RS, these cars have awesome steering.

For me as long as the steering isn't worse than the S550 I won't have an issue with it. Although it is disappointing.
I drove a G80 M3 on track last year with pirellis. The front-end is truly amazing. Lacking from a feedback perspective but the way it loads up is crazy considering the weight as well on those tires.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Personally, I disagree. If you buy a car based on numbers and data, a Mustang isn't for you. If you want a brash, unashamedly loud n lairy RWD V8 coupe with a huge personality, then you want a pony car. And the choice just narrowed down to one.

Maybe that's just me :)
Not just you brother!!!

VaporGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
He mentions about long gearing. Not sure why manufacturers do this? Porsche do the same. Not particulary helpful on a road car when when 2nd gear tops out at around 90mph.

Anyway interesting to see what of that Mustang remains in tact this side of the pond, by the time the committee of bureaucrats have had their way.
They do this (Long gearing manual) because it makes manual cars more convenient to drive at low speeds or in heavy traffic.

JamesAnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
Nice review, but to me it is not relevant and shouldn't be for us Europeans in general because neither the BHP (assumption) nor the 0-60 data etc. will equal to that in the US.

In other words: We need to wait for the proper tets on Europeans streets with the respective data.
You are objectively correct. Until we know the figures for the Euopean cars we are not comparing Apples with Apples.

JamesAnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
They do this (Long gearing manual) because it makes manual cars more convenient to drive at low speeds or in heavy traffic.
Seems bizarre to design the gearing for a performance vechicle around traffic!

slowjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT base manual
Performance vehicles don't weigh 3900lbs.

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT
Performance vehicles don't weigh 3900lbs.
C/D estimates the curb weight of the Lamborghini Sian Roadster at 3950 lbs, though it is AWD; the Nissan GTR is 3850 lbs, also AWD. The Ferrari 812 is 3845 lbs according to HotCars, and is RWD; it's predecessor, the F12 was weighed by Motortrend at 4003 lbs. Not in the same price category to be sure, and these are bit porky to be sure, though few would argue that they are not performance cars.

Last edited:

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Seems bizarre to design the gearing for a performance vechicle around traffic!
I can't find the video now but I saw a review video that said Porsche did this to reduce noise and fuel consumption. The long gearing, especially on the lower gears, reduce the RPMs when starting and driving at lower speeds, which keeps the noise down when driving at lower speeds. All due to government regulations, of course.

JamesAnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
I can't find the video now but I saw a review video that said Porsche did this to reduce noise and fuel consumption. The long gearing, especially on the lower gears, reduce the RPMs when starting and driving at lower speeds, which keeps the noise down when driving at lower speeds. All due to government regulations, of course.
Thanks. Makes sense. I thought the bureaucrats might have a hand in somewhere!
Sponsored