• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Lots of unsold dark horse on ground

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
This AM I read an article on a recent economic poll and their findings.

In general, while top-line and headline numbers do show well, as you dig deeper, read most peoples' experiences and study the findings further, things are not all that great. Any gains being made from interest rate returns or wage increases are being wiped out by inflation and product price increases. Many are simply running in-place, if not even further behind.

Most Buyers not going to be looking for a $70K+ DH unless they can either buy it outright or comfortable enough in their job and finances to afford the payments. IMO, this group is on the decline, at least for now, or, pausing on any significant purchases. While some can and do use such cars as DDs, for most of us, they're pleasure cars.

For those that can wait, there might be some prime buying opportunities (any vehicle) in the near future.
Sponsored

Last edited:

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Itā€™s special and relative to the claimed hp numbers has allot more wheel HP than a gt seeing 440 range gt seeing 398 range
You need to look around more. 440 is the outlier....the majority have been low 400s.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW 335i

In general, while top-line and headline numbers do show well, as you dig deeper, read most peoples' experiences and study the findings further, things are not all that great. Any gains being made from interest rate returns or wage increases are being wiped out by inflation and product price increases. Many are simply running in-place, if not even further behind.

Most Buyers not going to be looking for a $70K+ DH unless they can either buy it outright or comfortable enough in their job and finances to afford the payments. IMO, this group is on the decline, at least for now, or, pausing on any significant purchases. While some can and do use such cars as DDs, for most of us, they're pleasure cars.

For those that can wait, there might be some prime buying opportunities (any vehicle) in the near future.
Agreed.

Most buyers that would have probably bought a $70k DH are probably putting off the purchase because it's obviously not a necessity. An F150 or Expedition (Max) are more functional purchases and those have become much more expensive as well. A track toy is secondary to vehicles that bring a lot of every day utility to most folks.

GTPony24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang by convertible

well stated, and totally agree. I paid MSRP and got a GT premium convertible but I ordered it all the way back on April 1 and it was a priority for me to have one of the first S650s. I paid all cash and have a high net worth. Iā€™m guessing that most wealthy Stangheads probably already got their cars. All the free money and juiced equity in this economy is starting to dry up and commodities like Toy cars will be among the first things that folks cut out of there budgets. There should be pretty good deals to be had next spring and summer

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
The $10k mark-up on the DH at my dealer is also a big reason. My .02, you have to be nuts to pay over $80k for what is basically a Mustang GT. Iā€™m sorry, but the DH is not a special car.

I had a hard time paying the $54k for my GT Premium.
I agree and disagree.

I agree that people should not pay over MSRP, and I will not be when I go to pick my Dark Horse up (hopefully tomorrow). I ordered my DH without many options to keep it under $70k. I didnt want to pay that much for a "GT Mustang".

I disagree that the DH is not a special car. Recently my thinking has been changed. Have you been watching any of the reviews out in the last week, particularly Throttle House? The Dark Horse is a much more special car than the GT. I thought the same as you prior to all of the recent reviews.

I just ordered the DH because I liked the styling (front, black exhaust tips, blue accents on interior, and badging). I would have purchased/ordered the Mach 1 for the same reason, just didnt like the dated interior of the s550.

GoldenHand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
I agree and disagree.

I agree that people should not pay over MSRP, and I will not be when I go to pick my Dark Horse up (hopefully tomorrow). I ordered my DH without many options to keep it under $70k. I didnt want to pay that much for a "GT Mustang".

I disagree that the DH is not a special car. Recently my thinking has been changed. Have you been watching any of the reviews out in the last week, particularly Throttle House? The Dark Horse is a much more special car than the GT. I thought the same as you prior to all of the recent reviews.

I just ordered the DH because I liked the styling (front, black exhaust tips, blue accents on interior, and badging). I would have purchased/ordered the Mach 1 for the same reason, just didnt like the dated interior of the s550.
Agreed 100%. I'm also tired of everyone treating the Steeda results as gospel and undermining the DH based on it's wheel HP. The fact of the matter is that if you take the DH, the new GT, and a Mach 1 to the track, the DH will smoke both of them and that's why I'm buying one. Also, if I ever get approached by a someone in real life saying, "YoUr DaRK HOrSe oNLy hAS 400 HP", then I will laugh in their face and apologize to them that they don't own one.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Nothing is worth the markups the dealers are asking for. The idea that we as consumers gave the stealerships so much power -- in an age when you can email any dealer to seek a better price and force them to negotiate against one another -- blows my mind. Fools and too much money.
You can say the same thing about housing or any commodity.

Humans make snap decisions based on FOMO and emotion a lot more often than we think.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Agreed 100%. I'm also tired of everyone treating the Steeda results as gospel and undermining the DH based on it's wheel HP. The fact of the matter is that if you take the DH, the new GT, and a Mach 1 to the track, the DH will smoke both of them and that's why I'm buying one. Also, if I ever get approached by a someone in real life saying, "YoUr DaRK HOrSe oNLy hAS 400 HP", then I will laugh in their face and apologize to them that they don't own one.
You do realize the only reason the DH gaps the GT by that much is the tires? Put the same tires on the GT and you might be surprised at the outcome...

If you are just buying the DH to smoke the other cars should have bought a 10A GT and whipped it ...

I'm not throwing stones as my car is not exactly the best for drag racing either..

I definitely didn't buy my car because it could smoke other Mustangs

Base GT500 is the best option for that for the money..

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I think I'm the target market for the Dark Horse.. enough disposable income for a non supercar toy..

Grew up on fox bodies...

So a few things make me shy away

I like digital screens. I don't like the way this one was implemented.

I don't like the name. I also don't like night pony.

Sorry but the name sounds like some version of a kids toy to me.

Cobra... Mach 1... Shelby... exc.

I like the way the car looks in person better then the photos.

I think they tried too hard to say F you to some Mustang traditions

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ps I'll add unfortunately I think the focus groups Ford used have a high percentage of people who can't afford the car...

Its like they designed it for the younger generation then priced it so that the majority of them can't afford it

GoldenHand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
You do realize the only reason the DH gaps the GT by that much is the tires? Put the same tires on the GT and you might be surprised at the outcome...

If you are just buying the DH to smoke the other cars should have bought a 10A GT and whipped it ...

I'm not throwing stones as my car is not exactly the best for drag racing either..

I definitely didn't buy my car because it could smoke other Mustangs

Base GT500 is the best option for that for the money..
That's fine, I'm not one for modifying my Mustang by putting a Whipple on it to go in a straight line. As I said before, my DH will be for track days. I'm sure I can attach a Whipple to a 10A GT that will go as fast as any GT500 or Rousch for less money, but I'm not looking for that.

Out of the box, not only does it outperform other Mustangs, but goes toe-to-toe or even outperforms its German and Japanese competitors on the track.

I'm actually the exact demographic Ford marketed so I'm obliging and very happy with what they made. Dark Horse name has grown on me a lot over the last year. It initially came off a little gimmicky, but after seeing it in person my opinion changed.

However, if someone can find an S550 GT500 for $68K, then please let me know.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Agreed 100%. I'm also tired of everyone treating the Steeda results as gospel and undermining the DH based on it's wheel HP.

^^Steedas rig has shown lower numbers than most in the past, and I believe they even make a point to that. It's more about the proximity to the GTs HP number.
The fact of the matter is that if you take the DH, the new GT, and a Mach 1 to the track, the DH will smoke both of them and that's why I'm buying one.

^^To the above...you put equivalent tires on the DH HP and the M1 HP, the M1 HP is at a minimum, fractions of a second behind the DH HP in most tracks. There's just not enough difference in those two cars outside of the tires, to expect the DH to smoke it. This is especially true for the 2021s that were rated at 480HP.

The DH gets the edge over the GT not really in HP (15 is negligible considering the DH weighs more than the GT), but in that you can beat on it all day at a track. The cooling and the tremec are big selling points. The aero, the handling, even braking, can for the most part will soon be able to be bought and applied to a GT PP with magneride, but the DH comes with it as-is from the factory.

Oh and styling. I'm fully of the camp that the DH HP looks damn menacing. Camaro comments don't bother me. I had one and liked it's styling too :crackup:

It's personal preference, how you want to use the car, whether you care to mod the car, etc.

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
Completely agree!

Im not sure the Dark Horse would smoke the Mach 1, but I do think it would beat it.
Sponsored