• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I got to drive a S650 for the first time recently.. I'm underwhelmed

Lmw34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It's taken me a while to warm up to the S650 gen. The more I see it the better it looks. I still think it has some camaro body lines and the back end seems squished, but overall a really nice looking sports car. The front end of this model should have been the S550 2018 refresh in my opinion. I sat in a convertible a few weeks back and really liked the interior. The digital dash looked ok, but I did not like the fact that they have taken away ALL of the mechanical controls for heat, cooling etc... That stuff should never go away.
Sponsored

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I'm old school 70's and I was worried about the digital dash. At least for me, it looks 1000% better in person. even though I am 6'1" I was worried about the screens sticking up too high, but they don't. Overall it's decent and I'm adapting.

Lmw34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm old school 70's and I was worried about the digital dash. At least for me, it looks 1000% better in person. even though I am 6'1" I was worried about the screens sticking up too high, but they don't. Overall it's decent and I'm adapting.
I agree.. it's much better in person

Reactions: JAL

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Oh really? A 1000hp car is more efficient than a 120hp car?

Efficient in emptying the gas tank quicker.
Yes more efficient. Define the measurement and verify.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
I kept my S550 GT/CS and I believe that my 2024 Dark Horse with PS drives significantly different different than my S550. My recommendation would be to go drive a new Camaro and Challenger and see how you like them.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Problem with the new Mustang is that it is basically a 10 year old car with a 14 year old engine…The Coyote has no Torque like a 6.4 Challenger or less so a 6.2 Camaro had and that makes it feel underwhelming.The chassis is not good masked by the sticky Pirelli race tires on the DH.The chinese made Getrag is still part of the package and the Tremec requires DH money.The interior is still made by Fisher Price and the screens show sticky paws because there are no more knobs to touch , push or turn which I hate.Kudos to Ford for keeping the V8 alive but it was time for a new car with a 5.8 ! But they thought they did not have to since GM and Dodge vacated the premises.As the only competitor left is the M2 which is nice and comparatively high priced but as much Power and low end Torque it makes a inline-6 will never sound like a V8…Same with the new 2 door Charger.Like the practical hatchback though.Back to the Mustang…For the price the chassis should have been new , the car lighter and the engine a 5.8 for that bottom end Torque without the need of a supercharger giving a abysmal 8mpg…And yes the S650 looks better than the S550.I talk about where the fender meets the hood.The beltline is just as tall but it looks smoother and not at bad as the 2018 on anymore…All new design little retro like Dodge nailed it with the Chalkenger WB would have still be better.But still if V8 paired to a manual Mustang is the only game in town…

maybemaybe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Honda Civic
Problem with the new Mustang is that it is basically a 10 year old car with a 14 year old engine…The Coyote has no Torque like a 6.4 Challenger or less so a 6.2 Camaro had and that makes it feel underwhelming.The chassis is not good masked by the sticky Pirelli race tires on the DH.The chinese made Getrag is still part of the package and the Tremec requires DH money.The interior is still made by Fisher Price and the screens show sticky paws because there are no more knobs to touch , push or turn which I hate.Kudos to Ford for keeping the V8 alive but it was time for a new car with a 5.8 ! But they thought they did not have to since GM and Dodge vacated the premises.As the only competitor left is the M2 which is nice and comparatively high priced but as much Power and low end Torque it makes a inline-6 will never sound like a V8…Same with the new 2 door Charger.Like the practical hatchback though.Back to the Mustang…For the price the chassis should have been new , the car lighter and the engine a 5.8 for that bottom end Torque without the need of a supercharger giving a abysmal 8mpg…And yes the S650 looks better than the S550.I talk about where the fender meets the hood.The beltline is just as tall but it looks smoother and not at bad as the 2018 on anymore…All new design little retro like Dodge nailed it with the Chalkenger WB would have still be better.But still if V8 paired to a manual Mustang is the only game in town…
That is the one thing I hate about the Mustang after the coyote. It became a high rpm revver and the cheap chinese MT82 killed my interest in any manual that did not have the tremec. So I was left getting the A10 s550 and I find it so "sleepy" if that is the right word whereas everytime I get to hop in my friend's 4.6 3V, that old car just feels so lively even with the power deficit. I guess the 3V s197 does weigh about 300 lbs less than the s550 but the driving dynamics of the 5.0 are just wearing on me. I am at the point where I am really reconsidering my decision to pick up a s650 off the lot in the spring even though I could get one under MSRP right now.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Best you don't buy a Mustang then :wink:

Welcome to the forum :crackup:

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer

Is someone with a Challenger or Charger REALLY complaining about the age of the chassis in the S550/S650?? I mean doesnt your chassis go back to like the 80s or something??

And your complaining about the Coyote being a 14 year old engine design?? - and you have a pushrod motor??

The Coyote is a high revving motor more in alignment with a sports car motor vs. a big bock muscle car motor- Ive owned big blocks with torque - but at this point I prefer high revving motors with a little more of a sports car feel (if you cant tell by my choice of car)

Ive owned some high power big blocks in the past- so I understand what you are saying- but there are those of us that prefer revs to torque : )

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
I personally prefer the rev-happy nature of the 'yote. I rev the snot out of my Challenger and Camaro too. That's the beauty of the manual.

The Mustang MUST come with th 3.73 across the board in all stick-shift applications. Otherwise it's criminal.

The cost difference between Getrag and Tremec is nothing - they retail within a few hundred so there is no excuse for Ford not to offer it for say a $1000 premium on every trim.

This is Marketing playing more artificial differentiation games and not serving the interests of the BUYER.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
Is someone with a Challenger or Charger REALLY complaining about the age of the chassis in the S550/S650?? I mean doesnt your chassis go back to like the 80s or something??
short of the IRS, the S550 is just a light update to S197. The mopar twins are HORRID handling. Mine has been significantly reworked but it's still a far cry from even an unmolested Mustang. The big girl will hustle but I make sure to tip my Angel extra and in advance.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
short of the IRS, the S550 is just a light update to S197. The mopar twins are HORRID handling. Mine has been significantly reworked but it's still a far cry from even an unmolested Mustang. The big girl will hustle but I make sure to tip my Angel extra and in advance.
I think S197 - S550 was a huge update, S550 to S650 is a minor update

Reactions: JAL

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Sponsored