• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How are you passing the time given the GREAT SILENCE?

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
How's everyone doing? Going stir crazy about the lack of S650 news? I kinda am, especially as I dig deeper and deeper into various threads - some suggesting S650 is scrapped altogether, others advising that S650 is just severely delayed because of Covid, and some being concerned as to the apparent shift in thinking between the various Ford CEOs as of late as to what the S650 should be and how long it should stay around for.

Well, I just wanted to tell everyone to keep the faith! I think Ford knows that as the last pure ICE Mustang, it has to be spectacular (both aesthetically and in terms of performance), and that thought helps me sleep at night lol (while I guess mules are being run around Detroit lol). All things must end, and so too shall this great silence lol.

In the interim, how's everyone passing the time?
Sponsored

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

Thank you for posting this. I don't subscribe to Automotive News, so can't read their original report, but I'm glad a publication is actually quoting a "source"......in this case the "multi-day Ford dealer meeting"

Citing a recent, confidential multi-day Ford dealer meeting in Texas, industry publication Automotive News reports the next-generation Mustang (codenamed S650) is slated for launch for Model Year 2023 in the US, which would see it go on sale between mid-2022 and mid-2023.

This info, including the fact S650 won't be CD6 based, but another heavy reworking of the current D2C platform, backs up what @amk91 has been telling us for a while.

Whilst this isn't the first time info has leaked from a dealer meeting, I'm surprised to hear that's where this info comes from, as Ford have doubled down on NDAs etc, so someone could be in big trouble!

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I don't know how reliable FOX "News" is in that regard but 2025 seems very late... It would however, be in line with the FORD Europe plan to replace every car sold with a full EV OR hybrid by 2026.

Then again it would mean that we (here in Europe) either don’t get the S650 until 2025 or that the S650 refresh will introduce electrification to Mustangs. Given the fact that Ford will most likely not sell the S650 in Europe until 2023 or more likely 2024 (delay due to Corona and semiconductors) I doubt that they would sell the regular V8 for just over a year.

I also don’t understand why they would delay the hybrid until they refresh the car. They won’t change the platform or the overall structure/layout of the car and should theoretically be able to implement the hybrid train right from the beginning. I get it why they wouldn’t offer it right from the beginning (marketing) but to delay it for two years doesn’t seem reasonable to me.

Anyhow, finally some S650 news - that’s good news :D

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Fox are just repeating the same "dealer conference" leak, that Automotive News reported on, so it's the same source.

The timing of the hybrid would work nicely for Ford of Europe's "hybrid/EV-only" sales in 2026.

Personally, I think Ford would be foolish not to offer the ICE S650 for the first couple of years in Europe. There will be enough sales to people that want to grab a pure V8 before the hybrid takes over.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Don't get me wrong. I'm a hundred percent sure that a pure V8 S650 would sell like ice cream on a hot summer day but I doubt Ford is willing to pay the price. They would have to implement an OPF (eradicating the sound/soul of the car) and still pay the high CO² emissions.

They never sold the Shelby’s over here so I have my doubts they would sell another pure V8 in 2023 following.

edit: I hope I'm wrong btw...

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
Glad to get some new "news" about the 2023 Mustang. Since there had been no updates for awhile, I had come to the conclusion that the s650 would simply be a facelift and just be a place holder until an all BEV Mustang was ready. But, I now have some hope that there will be some real changes for the s650. My question is if the s650 is going on sale next year as a 2023 MY, why haven't we seen any renderings or camo versions running around.

Jerryy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red FBO Mustang EcoBoost Premium

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
I don't know how reliable FOX "News" is in that regard but 2025 seems very late... It would however, be in line with the FORD Europe plan to replace every car sold with a full EV OR hybrid by 2026.

Then again it would mean that we (here in Europe) either don’t get the S650 until 2025 or that the S650 refresh will introduce electrification to Mustangs. Given the fact that Ford will most likely not sell the S650 in Europe until 2023 or more likely 2024 (delay due to Corona and semiconductors) I doubt that they would sell the regular V8 for just over a year.

I also don’t understand why they would delay the hybrid until they refresh the car. They won’t change the platform or the overall structure/layout of the car and should theoretically be able to implement the hybrid train right from the beginning. I get it why they wouldn’t offer it right from the beginning (marketing) but to delay it for two years doesn’t seem reasonable to me.

Anyhow, finally some S650 news - that’s good news :D

The whole "hybrid in 2025" thing has me thinking someone might be confusing things.... Introducing "a" hybrid in 2025 just seems way too late considering Dodge will have their BEV charger/challenger out by then. Seems more logical that standard hybrids are coming at the very beginning of S650 production with a specialty hybrid is coming in 2025. A 2025 release of the S650 GT500 with AWD hybrid tech would fit in very nicely.

That being said, Ford could just be going to cheap route with the 2 door and giving it warmed over powertrain options with no real effort to expand into hybrid tech since they consider the Mach E part of the lineup....

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT
I LOVE How low-key you introduced this leak into the forum, haha! I've been refreshing the forum daily, almost hourly for the past week in hopes of more information (as I'm sure most of us did) so I'm glad that we were able to hear about this through a simple "How are you passing the time?" thread!

Good stuff!
Ha ha Jerry, maybe I wanted to bury the news to see who were the keenest to find it. Congratulations, you passed the test :-) Chris

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
They would have to implement an OPF (eradicating the sound/soul of the car) and still pay the high CO² emissions.
There already are OPF/GPF filters mandatory since 2018 on mustangs (still sounds great). Emissions are bigger issue now, we had only 85 cars allocated for this year in my country, last year it was 180 and 280 in 2018. Exceeding the fleet emissions 95 g/km costs them dearly. Wonder if whole Europe gets 1000 cars yearly now with UK out? Considering the green taxes in many countries in the west and north, it basically boils down to Germany and Middle Europe now.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT Premium w/PP, 401A, A10, Magna Ride, AWE Touring Exhaust, Edelbrock Stage 2 Supercharger.
Obsessively shopping for a 21 Mach 1 HP….
Sponsored