• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hood struts - battery maintenance

Hood struts - battery maintenance

• Total voters

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
What’s the consensus regarding hood struts during winter storage / garage time? Hood open struts up? Hood closed struts down?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I don't see where storage would matter. The vehicle is operated with the hood down. If the movement of the strut is a concern, lubricating or actuating the assemblies, the owner could open the hood once a month (to check for fluids and varmints) then close.

The question is akin to putting the car on jack stands, to suspend the car in storage. The car spends its life under its own weight. Fully extending the suspension and leaving it like that for long periods of time, I don't care for that myself.

YMMV.

OP
OP
Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see where storage would matter. The vehicle is operated with the hood down. If the movement of the strut is a concern, lubricating or actuating the assemblies, the owner could open the hood once a month (to check for fluids and varmints) then close.

The question is akin to putting the car on jack stands, to suspend the car in storage. The car spends its life under its own weight. Fully extending the suspension and leaving it like that for long periods of time, I don't care for that myself.

YMMV.
More along the lines of how good are the struts for ?

edit: translation of slaughtered english. How long will the struts last? Should we expect a sag or degrade after a period of time? Would an assist prop be recommended or just frigging close the hood and don’t worry about it?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
More along the lines of how good are the struts for ?
Many with the S550 will install hood struts as one of their first mods, and are pleased. I don't remember anyone complaining about premature failure, under any operating condition.

Regarding the question related to the battery, if someone is attaching a tender and leaving the hood up during storage, I can see that. This setup would not be my preferred option. Underhood is complicated. Component dense. Many items are somewhat delicate. General dirt and dust as well. People or pets passing by the car often. Long-term, it'd be best to wire a connection so the hood can be closed and the car covered.

Edit: an alternative option would be to remove the battery from the car and set in a safe area with stable temps and conditions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many with the S550 will install hood struts as one of their first mods, and are pleased. I don't remember anyone complaining about premature failure, under any operating condition.

Regarding the question related to the battery, if someone is attaching a tender and leaving the hood up during storage, I can see that. This setup would not be my preferred option. Underhood is complicated. Component dense. Many items are somewhat delicate. General dirt and dust as well. People or pets passing by the car often. Long-term, it'd be best to wire a connection so the hood can be closed and the car covered.
So you would be a ‘hood closed - struts down’ with ^ as the supporting details / explanation?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
So you would be a ‘hood closed - struts down’ with ^ as the supporting details / explanation?
Yes. Even with the hood closed, there is ventilation. Further, if a tender is involved, they do not draw a lot of power, so heat is not a concern.

In storage or out, tender or not, it's a good idea to check under hood and under car, once a month. Same with tires. While in storage, I manually check pressures once a month. When the car is driven, I manually check once a month minimum.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
What’s the consensus regarding hood struts during winter storage / garage time? Hood open struts up? Hood closed struts down?

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
While that I had just got the Mustang late November and I don’t use the Mustang till Spring clears and meanwhile my hood is open cuz I am tinkering with the motor and looking, thinking what I should be doing with it! So that why my hood is up! I plan to stop by the Summit store and check on some good jacks for my DH so by spring, I’ll be working on some add-ons to the system! Researching on the internet and making decisions what to add on and improve the DH! What a fun that will be!!

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
I have had aftermarket Redline hood struts since March 2012 with zero issues. I don't think it matters up or down.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I always closed the hood of my S550 and never used a tender, I would get the typical message that my car was entering deep sleep mode after two weeks. Finally last month I would get the deep sleep message more often and the battery died a few day later. So for 5 years no issues without using a tender. I also havbe an alternative winter solution.

I have only had mt S650 for 2 weeks and I get the deep sleep message more often, it could be just because it hasn't been driven much and I have spent time screwing around with the power on but I think it uses more power when parked for some reason. I'm using as tender with the hood down but not close all the way to allow for the power cord. This way I can cover it.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
Why would you want to leave the hood open during storage?
It doesn’t make any sense to me.
Would you leave the hood open all day and night if your Mustang was being stored all winter with a cover on it parked in front of your house?

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Why would you want to leave the hood open during storage?
It doesn’t make any sense to me.
Would you leave the hood open all day and night if your Mustang was being stored all winter with a cover on it parked in front of your house?

I'm pretty sure they are leaving the hood up or open for the battery tender.

If I had to store a vehicle either out in the open and wanted to use a battery tender I would route the tender wires under the car so the hood can stay closed.

In a garage I would either do the same or leave the hood not completely shut. I wouldn't leave it completely open the entire time. Not sure if it will affect the hood struts if left open the entire winter.
Sponsored

Reactions: Zig