• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

(Help) First time ordering a car through a dealership…

DxrkLucy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.0 mustang GT track pack 6-speed manual
Hey everybody, so this upcoming year will be my first time ever special ordering a car through a dealership or even in general. I’ve been saving up for this moment for like 2 years now. I found a dealership who told me if I order the dark horse on order day and I pick it up when it arrives I will be able to purchase the vehicle at MSRP. this will hopefully be my 3rd mustang! (1st was a ‘04 gt manual FBO and 2nd was a ‘14 gt manual track pack) so I’m really anticipating getting the dark horse brand new this time, not used and I could really use any advice, any tips, any recommendations bc I do not want to seem clueless to my salesman and him try to f*%# me over lol. As far as I’m aware (and I may even be wrong) on order day they will call me and we can make the order, I pay the $1,000. I then apply to be pre-qualified. Then we just wait til it comes in? And then upon arrival I show up and do the rest as any normal car purchase would go down? The dealership is 6 hours away from where I live but it was the closest one to me that would sell at msrp upon doing an order. He told me to act fast. Should I take off of work this day? I have so many questions honestly I don’t even know what to ask! Lmao but any advice would help, THANKS!
Sponsored

OP
OP
DxrkLucy

DxrkLucy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.0 mustang GT track pack 6-speed manual
get it in writing. on letterhead and countersigned by the GM

There is nothing about "be fast". WHEN the order books open we will all know. And if your dealer has a brain they'll call you to get the process kicked off.
get it in writing. on letterhead and countersigned by the GM

There is nothing about "be fast". WHEN the order books open we will all know. And if your dealer has a brain they'll call you to get the process kicked off.
Could I tell him that I want everything in writing over the phone and trust his word. Bc I probably won’t see the dealership until the day it arrives

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Welcome to the forums. :clap:

Inputting the order itself is a straightforward process which takes little time. Once the Order Guide is published, all the options and their codes will be available. Using the Web Order Entry system, the dealer can place an order; the salesperson will then have you review and sign for it. A downpayment is often asked for. Most put down $1,000.

Part of the order will display pricing; this is your pricing, the amounts you agreed to pay.

Securing an order doesn't (IMO) secure the price or sale. Ask the dealer if they will commit with a formal sales contract, spelling out, line-by-line, all costs (i.e., prep, admin) associated with the sale. As mentioned earlier, something in writing is definitely preferred. E-mails even, with the GM CCd. Something to give you a warm fuzzy.

It's in your best interest to tell the salesperson at the time of order you will not accept any add-ons (undercoating, tint, nitrogen in the tires, etc.). If you are interested in these options, shop around. You'll probably find better quality and price elsewhere.

Once the dealer has an allocation (all vehicles require an allocation to be built), the order will be paired with it so the process will continue. I had an allocation and order very early on, but I didn't hear anything further until the car was scheduled for Production.

Throughout the process, Ford will send you e-mail updates. If you call them, Ford Performance can often get status for you. Your dealer will also have access and can provide status.

Another point to discuss when placing the order is Price Protection. In MYs prior, Ford increased pricing during the MY. For 99% of buyers, their existing order afforded them Price Protection: they paid what was initially agreed to, regardless what other documents listed later.

I'm grateful I received a lot of insight from others beforehand. When it came time to sit-down and commit to the process, I was entirely comfortable with what was about to happen.

Again, Welcome. Best Wishes in your order. :like:

Last edited:

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
Get the "deal" in writing. But nail down what are the other charges? Dealer or conveyance fee is bs, but you'll have to pay. I think they can charge whatever they want. $500, great. 2k? noo. $995, ugh maybe. But NO other dealer fees like doc prep (on top of a dealer fee) or a fee for not using their financing. Tax and title fees usually standard. They always spring vin etching on windows after they do it. If it's not much I give them that one, but don't let them push anything else on you like ceramic coating, unless you already want it, get full documentation on the service, and take time to shop around before deciding. I would find a reputable shop to give you all your options and stand behind the work.
If you want a extended warranty, get and read the terms. Might find it's not even Ford! You don't have to get it now, Ford corporate will give you many chances over the years to get one. My credit union gave me a killer deal on one.
Get the full pricing details before leaving a deposit. Put the deposit on a credit card so if something comes up and you must bail you can fight the charge if they give you a hard time.
That's a I got. Once you cover your bases it's a fun process!!

Last edited:

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Get yourself on x-plan to buy under msrp

Blueberrystang2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT manual
Hey everybody, so this upcoming year will be my first time ever special ordering a car through a dealership or even in general. I’ve been saving up for this moment for like 2 years now. I found a dealership who told me if I order the dark horse on order day and I pick it up when it arrives I will be able to purchase the vehicle at MSRP. this will hopefully be my 3rd mustang! (1st was a ‘04 gt manual FBO and 2nd was a ‘14 gt manual track pack) so I’m really anticipating getting the dark horse brand new this time, not used and I could really use any advice, any tips, any recommendations bc I do not want to seem clueless to my salesman and him try to f*%# me over lol. As far as I’m aware (and I may even be wrong) on order day they will call me and we can make the order, I pay the $1,000. I then apply to be pre-qualified. Then we just wait til it comes in? And then upon arrival I show up and do the rest as any normal car purchase would go down? The dealership is 6 hours away from where I live but it was the closest one to me that would sell at msrp upon doing an order. He told me to act fast. Should I take off of work this day? I have so many questions honestly I don’t even know what to ask! Lmao but any advice would help, THANKS!
I can help you I see you are from Louisiana I’ll be glad to help you out!

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Could I tell him that I want everything in writing over the phone and trust his word. Bc I probably won’t see the dealership until the day it arrives
By "putting it in writing," just have them confirm everything with you via. email (that's sufficient enough "writing") if you're ordering remotely.

Though, I have to imagine a reputable dealership will do this any way without your requesting it.

That said, whatever is put in writing (except for, say, terms of a deposit) is technically not binding until you sign a purchase agreement (which won't be until you pick up your vehicle). You can still walk away and they can still pull a bait & switch until then.

Last edited:

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
What’s an x-plan? How does this work
X-Plan is Ford's discount offered to suppliers/contractors.

It's not as lucrative as the A/Z plan, which is offered to Ford employee/retirees and their relatives (and Ford defines "relatives" quite loosely), but it does help to knock off some of the cost.

My suggestion would be to see if you have any aunts/uncles/brothers/sisters/cousins/parents/grandparents who currently work for Ford or retired from Ford and ask if you can use their A/Z plan discount. They will call Ford's Customer Service Divison and have a PIN generated for you, which you would present to the dealer at the time of purchase.

Last edited:

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
X-Plan is Ford's discount offered to suppliers/contractors.

It's not as lucrative as the A/Z plan, which is offered to Ford employee/retirees and their relatives (and Ford defines "relatives" quite loosely), but it does help to knock off some of the cost.

My suggestion would be to see if you have any aunts/uncles/brothers/sisters/cousins/parents/grandparents who currently work for Ford or retired from Ford and ask if you can use their A/Z plan discount. They will call Ford's Customer Service Divison and have a PIN generated for you, which you would present to the dealer at the time of purchase.
Is there a place where I can see what companies/organizations are eligible for X-Plan?

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
You should not need to pre-qualify or check credit when placing your order, especially since it will take months to receive the vehicle. Lenders need a VIN to secure a loan to, so the vehicle must be built. Even then your approval may expire before you can even take delivery.

Any dealer wanting to run your credit is trying to cover themselves, but it doesn't promise anything besides a useless hard inquiry for you. If you are financing, get it done with your bank/credit union ONLY when the vehicle arrives and then let the dealership try to beat those terms.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Lenders need a VIN to secure a loan to, so the vehicle must be built.
Early '22, I received an e-mail from Ford that my build was scheduled for production; this afforded me two things:

1. There was a near guarantee from Ford the car would be built

2. A VIN was assigned and listed in that notification

The car was later built in May.

If it helps towards lining anything up, you will receive a VIN when the car is scheduled for production, often weeks, if not more, before it is actually built. The VIN, e-mails and order number will compliment one another. Different lenders could certainly have different documentation requirements, but the insight could be tangible enough for some.
Sponsored

Last edited: