• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First time ordering a car…..

Bethstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT
This 2024 will be our 5th Mustang, but our first time ordering one. What extra fees should we be aware of and are there any fees that the dealership might try to add on that are BS. Also, will there be a destination fee or delivery fee? Hubby couldn’t recall what it’s called, is that a legit fee?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The destination fee will be added by Ford, so there shouldn't be anything beyond that for shipping if it's going to a local dealer. When I ordered mine, I did a build and price online, then went to the dealer and compared their price to that, and it was pretty easy to tell if they had added anything (they hadn't).

At "checkout," they may try to slip something in, but that's the same whether it's ordered or bought off the lot. I say all of this with the caveat that I ordered mine in 2018, so I don't know if things may have changed since then.

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
From what my salesman said at the dealership, it'll cost the same as if you were ordering a car off the website. You pay taxes, shipping, and registration, but no markups or anything. Could vary dealer to dealer, but that's what I've heard.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Welcome to the forums. :clap:

My experience in 2022...

The Gas Guzzler tax, $1000, is charged by the Feds. The Mach 1 was subject to this tax. I'd expect it on the DH. I can't speak to other models.

Destination and delivery, $1395, was charged by Ford, in '22. You can clarify with the dealer what it is now.

The dealer will have document fees; these can often be a few hundred dollars. You can confirm doc fees before placing the order.

Clarify with the dealer you'll not be accepting any add-ons (rust coatings, nitrogen in tires, modified brake lights). The majority of dealers are upfront about such things. Some aren't.

If you plan on getting tint, ceramic coating, Paint Protection Film, etc., I'd recommend shopping around and touring those shops to see quality of their work and getting price. I coordinated with a detailer well ahead of time and took the car in shortly after receiving it. I knew the quality of my detailer. I had no idea of the dealer's; they out-sourced such work.

If interested in an extended warranty, you do not have to buy one at the time of sale. You can shop around once things are settled for best price.

I was clear with the dealer from the get go. I was to pay for and pick up the car, and nothing else. I did this in a respectful way, clarifying with them I was hoping to make it as quick and painless as possible.

I did not place the actual order until the salesperson and I agreed to the price. The ordering process is straightforward. Knowing the model and options, the salesperson will input those into Ford's systems and print the order for your signature. The order will have the price listed you agreed to pay and will be your copy to take with you.

If you can, see if the dealer will agree to a sales contract then, locking everything in. Some dealers will commit to this. Some won't. From my order, e-mails and all that, I was comfortable with my dealer. I did not see a sales contract until the day I picked up the car. The overwhelming majority of buyers, this topic is a non-issue.

Price Protection is always something I recommend people study. In '22, there were several price increases throughout the MY, do to any number of things. For existing orders, Ford gifts Price Protection: regardless of the documents circulating later, you were locked into your price at the time of order. For example, the dealer and I agreed to "X". From the time of order until receipt of the car, there were close to $3K or price increases on my order. Price Protection negated those. I paid the previously-agreed to price. No drama. No issues.

MY21 and 22 were unusual. Things appear to have settled down for Ford. Price Protection is one of those outliers to get a handshake on.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Larger dealers have Internet Sales and the floor folks. They often do not work together directly. the dealer I worked with, they were over a 1/4 mile away from one another and rarely interacted.

One advantage of Internet Sales is you can set everything up via phone and e-mail, then go in and commit the order. Another advantage is Internet Sales are often focused on quick buys and volume. Profit is important, sure, but the Internet guys are taking queries from all over. The floor guys, not so much. The different offices have different, internal, financial incentives. Finally, there's no dragged-out sit-down with a salesperson. I hate that. My negotiations involved a series of e-mails over a few weeks. When I wanted to move things forward, I did. When I wanted a break, I stopped.

IMO, Internet Sales will result in a cheaper price; they are focused on cranking out sales and volume, not maximizing profit from walk-ins. Granger is an example.
Sponsored

Last edited: