• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT vs GT Premium, 400a vs 401a, where's the best value? Comparison and discussion

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Just want to throw in my two cents. First your original question needs clarification. There are two S650 versions, the "Base" car (300A with optional 301A upgrade package and the "Premium" car (400A with optional 401A upgrade package. You are asking about the latter so you can pass all posts regarding the base car. @DCS answered your question in post # 14.

To whether or not it's worth it, well that was answered by @McSmugger. When I bought my 15' EB I was coming from a Jaguar and an Infiniti. So for me the extra were worth every penny. Your situation will be different. If any of the upgrades appeal to you (like the much nicer interior) I say go for it. If not there is nothing wrong with a plain old 400A. :giggle: :like:
Sponsored

OP
OP

Machismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to purchase
First off, the 401A package is $2900.00 - at least that was what mine was listed at. Second, there's a lot more in the list.

401A.jpg
Rounded 2.9k~3k as that's what it is especially after tax where I live. B&O sound system. Curious about this, haven't A/B tested this versus the stock premium system put have heard from some that its not worth. Can be had for 1.3k (rounded) with the 360 pilot option. Security package (wtf is this - center console locks...okay if someone wants in the console after breaking in they can easily break the lock) Illuminated door seals are cool. Memory seat - I cant remember the last time I adjusted my seat, this is woth $0 to me. Premier trim w/ color accent - if im getting black interior, which is what I'm leaning toward then the accent isn't even there from what I've seen. Why is navigation important? Doesn't the car have apple play, that's what I use for nav.

OP
OP

Machismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to purchase
Just want to throw in my two cents. First your original question needs clarification. There are two S650 versions, the "Base" car (300A with optional 301A upgrade package and the "Premium" car (400A with optional 401A upgrade package. You are asking about the latter so you can pass all posts regarding the base car. @DCS answered your question in post # 14.

To whether or not it's worth it, well that was answered by @McSmugger. When I bought my 15' EB I was coming from a Jaguar and an Infiniti. So for me the extra were worth every penny. Your situation will be different. If any of the upgrades appeal to you (like the much nicer interior) I say go for it. If not there is nothing wrong with a plain old 400A. :giggle: :like:
Yes, sorry for the confusion. Looking at is the GT premium "worth" it over the GT. If the premium is "worth" it, is the 401a package "worth" it.

I've had luxury brands in the past and although nice, I never was like man I need this creature comfort. Heated seats are nice but I live in the south so the amount of time they are useful is low. I've never hard cooling seats but generally when I've had leather its because its easier to clean. In the summer it can be sticky though, so cloth may be better there. The cooling seats help with that I'm sure but then they put holes in the seats which I think takes away from the easy to clean aspect.

So, I was all about the premium and 401a package but the more I looked into the cars and seeing them in person, I'm leaning toward the base GT with possibly the 301a package. Get the upgraded stereo as the premium and the ambient lights which is cool. I dislike the premium wheels so I can just roll with the base wheels. I can add a small sub if I need to round the sound out, which I've seen some people say is the better option anyway. I mean, if I wanted a luxury car I would just buy one right.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Rounded 2.9k~3k as that's what it is especially after tax where I live. B&O sound system. Curious about this, haven't A/B tested this versus the stock premium system put have heard from some that its not worth. Can be had for 1.3k (rounded) with the 360 pilot option. Security package (wtf is this - center console locks...okay if someone wants in the console after breaking in they can easily break the lock) Illuminated door seals are cool. Memory seat - I cant remember the last time I adjusted my seat, this is woth $0 to me. Premier trim w/ color accent - if im getting black interior, which is what I'm leaning toward then the accent isn't even there from what I've seen. Why is navigation important? Doesn't the car have apple play, that's what I use for nav.
Good questions.

1. B&O sound system - If you are an audiophile you will most likely be adding amps, speakers, etc. Then the B&O is a waste. But if you are looking for a decent upgrade to the base system, yes it's worth it. But "you" need to go listen to one. Then you can make your choice.

2. Security package includes an active anti theft system and wheel locks in addition to the console lock. Do you need it? No but again, that's your call.

3. Memory seats. I love the pushback feature on entry and exit. Wish my wife Volvo had them. Also like the mirror mounted turn signals. So for me it's a yes.

4. Premium trim - Worth it but you need to see it to understand.

5. Nav - There may be times that CarPlay, Waze, Google, Etc. do not work. Then is worth a gold mine. But if they are working it's not a necessity.

So again, what do you want? Is the $2900 go to make or break your deal? I recommend heading to your dealer to check them out in person. Then you can make an educated decision.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Yes, sorry for the confusion. Looking at is the GT premium "worth" it over the GT. If the premium is "worth" it, is the 401a package "worth" it.

I've had luxury brands in the past and although nice, I never was like man I need this creature comfort. Heated seats are nice but I live in the south so the amount of time they are useful is low. I've never hard cooling seats but generally when I've had leather its because its easier to clean. In the summer it can be sticky though, so cloth may be better there. The cooling seats help with that I'm sure but then they put holes in the seats which I think takes away from the easy to clean aspect.

So, I was all about the premium and 401a package but the more I looked into the cars and seeing them in person, I'm leaning toward the base GT with possibly the 301a package. Get the upgraded stereo as the premium and the ambient lights which is cool. I dislike the premium wheels so I can just roll with the base wheels. I can add a small sub if I need to round the sound out, which I've seen some people say is the better option anyway. I mean, if I wanted a luxury car I would just buy one right.
See, you're starting to answer your own questions. You sound like a person who will not miss either the 400A or 401A. In that case a base 301A car will be perfect for you.

OP
OP

Machismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to purchase
See, you're starting to answer your own questions. You sound like a person who will not miss either the 400A or 401A. In that case a base 301A car will be perfect for you.
For sure, but I haven't "lived with any of these other features so maybe someone is like, no this is awesome, then maybe I need to reconsider

Toor_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 s197 v6. Awaiting 2024 s650 GT PP/NP
Yo this post gave me a headache 😂😂.

OP is the kinda guy who has the money but is stingy about spending it. OP if you go all out, you’ll get a daily driver mustang that feels luxurious.
If you are ordering the car brand new (which most of us are) do what you want - if you can’t justify that cost then don’t go for it.

OP
OP

Machismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to purchase
Yo this post gave me a headache 😂😂.

OP is the kinda guy who has the money but is stingy about spending it. OP if you go all out, you’ll get a daily driver mustang that feels luxurious.
If you are ordering the car brand new (which most of us are) do what you want - if you can’t justify that cost then don’t go for it.
Its true, I am that kinda guy lol. On the flip side, I've got some other things that I need to throw some money at and not looking to just throw money away on something that can be better had aftermarket or is just not worth. Just trying to get some other peoples opinions on what they found useful/must have.

Edson8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
I got a base 300A GT. It has plenty of tech for me. I’m okay with having manual seats but to me it’s all an upgrade coming from a 4th gen FBody. Also it was best bang for your buck for me just because then from there I added wheels, exhaust, etc. Then again you could find decent discounts for both because I’ve seen base GT’s in the low 40K’s and premiums here in the 45K’s where I am from. Only cars staying at MSRP from what I’ve seen are the performance pack models.

OP
OP

Machismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to purchase
I got a base 300A GT. It has plenty of tech for me. I’m okay with having manual seats but to me it’s all an upgrade coming from a 4th gen FBody. Also it was best bang for your buck for me just because then from there I added wheels, exhaust, etc. Then again you could find decent discounts for both because I’ve seen base GT’s in the low 40K’s and premiums here in the 45K’s where I am from. Only cars staying at MSRP from what I’ve seen are the performance pack models.
Yeah, I'm seeing the same and have found premiums with a bigger discount so the price difference may not be as much as I originally thought.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Yeah, I'm seeing the same and have found premiums with a bigger discount so the price difference may not be as much as I originally thought.
Also look at it from the financial side (unless you’re paying cash). Would you like to have some of these features/luxury's for “xxx” a month?

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
OP I sympathize with you on this subject.

It is hard to justify buying the fully loaded version new when the cost is much higher than the other options/trims. This very reason is why good used fully loaded models are also a great idea as they usually don't sell for that much more over the other used model trims.

In my opinion though, I am the type of person that if the option exists, I want it (within reason). If I were buying new I would absolutely option out the 401A and pony up the price. The niceties and gimmicks that come with the fully loaded versions add to the experience, which I enjoy.

Also, you won't ever regret not getting all the options, where as if you don't get the options, you might regret it in the future.

S650 Mustang GT vs GT Premium, 400a vs 401a, where's the best value? Comparison and discussion 1702649613920

OP
OP

Machismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to purchase

It is hard to justify buying the fully loaded version new when the cost is much higher than the other options/trims. This very reason is why good used fully loaded models are also a great idea as they usually don't sell for that much more over the other used model trims.

In my opinion though, I am the type of person that if the option exists, I want it (within reason). If I were buying new I would absolutely option out the 401A and pony up the price. The niceties and gimmicks that come with the fully loaded versions add to the experience, which I enjoy.

Also, you won't ever regret not getting all the options, where as if you don't get the options, you might regret it in the future.

1702649613920.png
This is the best thing I've seen this week!

OP
OP

Machismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to purchase

1702649613920.png
Also, its like a slippery slope for me. GT? May as well get the GT premium but then there is the performance pack and magneride, I don't track but it looks pretty cool, I should get it but by that time I'm within the dark territory and of course I would want to get the premium so the price jumps up and now I'm thinking well why not just get a corvette C8 but probably not the base because the 2LT has much more useful features, hell just get the 3LT right but what about the Z06??? Next thing you know I've gone from a 40k car to a 120k car and trying to explain to my kids why they have to sit in each others laps in the front seat while we go to the local food pantry because daddy spent all his money on a Z06 Corvette that will never see the track

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Also, its like a slippery slope for me. GT? May as well get the GT premium but then there is the performance pack and magneride, I don't track but it looks pretty cool, I should get it but by that time I'm within the dark territory and of course I would want to get the premium so the price jumps up and now I'm thinking well why not just get a corvette C8 but probably not the base because the 2LT has much more useful features, hell just get the 3LT right but what about the Z06??? Next thing you know I've gone from a 40k car to a 120k car and trying to explain to my kids why they have to sit in each others laps in the front seat while we go to the local food pantry because daddy spent all his money on a Z06 Corvette that will never see the track
LOL I honestly think you should wait and get a slightly used premium next year. Let the first owner that puts 10-20k miles on the car take a huge depreciation hit and then you swoop in and get a 1) great vehicle for a 2) decent price that 3) fits your budget and 4) gives you the options you want in addition to 5) giving the kids a place to sit. 🤣 🍻
Sponsored